Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Brehs I want to learn C++ on my old laptop.
I downloaded the text editor Vim but what compiler do you recommend?
The few times I've used C++ I went with gcc. I honestly don't know enough about the inner workings to give any real insight though.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
The few times I've used C++ I went with gcc. I honestly don't know enough about the inner workings to give any real insight though.
That's for linux. You wouldn't know anything for windows? I don't want to use an IDE

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I was under the impression you could get gcc for Windows? I don't have an answer for you, when I was doing C++ in Windows I always used Visual Studio.
Apparently you can but need another extra program. This is an old laptop, I do have a modern better one too, but this fossil is smaller and lighter. Going to give it a shot after work.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I got a 2nd interview:blessed: but the hurricane is still coming for Florida :francis:

@Rose Gold how come no IDE?
I have two laptops. One is old, a thinkpad t60 which has a centro duo cpu and 1GB of RAM :mjlol:. Figured an IDE would be too much. On my main I got an IDE but I hate it lol.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Use an ide:troll:
Seriously,You should be able to install cywgin/ mingw compilers and dos program to compile the programs
Why does everybody recommend different types of compilers. What do you mean dos program to compile it? Isnt done via CLI? I'm so confused breh.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Why does everybody recommend different types of compilers. What do you mean dos program to compile it? Isnt done via CLI? I'm so confused breh.
For your first question I assume because they're optimized in different ways. People knowledgeable about compiler deign will have good opinions on that. Otherwise i think it's just because that's what people know :yeshrug:.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't about the compilers, those were the two I used during class. You're right you can use a CLI, I'm just used to using another program to compile it.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been working on NPC dialogue system and a quest system (took me days). Now working on wall running :
JrdmhSb.gif