Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm finally in the process of learning Angular and the best way for me to really retain the information is through a project. So I racked my mind for a short while and eventually settled on what might be a pretty decent idea which if executed and scaled properly could be monetized well. It's real estate related and targeted sort of towards the average person. I don't want to give too much away :whoa: but it goes to show that if you're looking for project ideas stay in your wheelhouse and focus on things or problems that interest you.

Design docs in production.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Are there significant advantages to coding on Linux over other OSes?
None that I've particularly discovered since being somewhat forced to use Linux on my main machine. If anything I feel it can be worse since some tools aren't available for Linux, such as Visual Studio and Unity. But someone more experienced might have a different opinion on this.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Came back from actually face to face interview :leon:
Started as a panel of 5 with 2 members hr, and the rest software team. I think I did okay, but stumble on like the hr person how you communicate and get to know people outside of your team, I was like:dwillhuh: for a minute or two:snoop:

There was program assessment which I think I did extremely well in.
Then I was introduced to the whole team asked questions regarding task, and structure showing interest. As well projects I worked on.

I was taking notes, hopefully to them that shows a strong interest.:whoo:
Hopefully I get this, it is literally 5 mins and I dont have to move :to:

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Perused some job listings yesterday. I think I'm going to start applying. I ain't doing nothing of worth except micromanagement currently at the start up I currently work at. Decent money, but with my new skills in Python and SQL, I think I can make more and do something I'm more interested in too. I made something for work that analyzes Key Performance Indicators from our FedEx data that pulls from my own SQL Database. Presents anything you might ever want to look at, exports it to an excel file and also makes visualizations for certain shyt like how long are packages taking to deliver to certain areas in the U.S. I want to add this to my GitHub to help my application process, but not sure if it violates some code of conduct:patrice:.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Perused some job listings yesterday. I think I'm going to start applying. I ain't doing nothing of worth except micromanagement currently at the start up I currently work at. Decent money, but with my new skills in Python and SQL, I think I can make more and do something I'm more interested in too. I made something for work that analyzes Key Performance Indicators from our FedEx data that pulls from my own SQL Database. Presents anything you might ever want to look at, exports it to an excel file and also makes visualizations for certain shyt like how long are packages taking to deliver to certain areas in the U.S. I want to add this to my GitHub to help my application process, but not sure if it violates some code of conduct:patrice:.
Coudnt you replace the data from fedex and with mocked data, or you could make that repo private and show it off during an interview.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Are there significant advantages to coding on Linux over other OSes?
depends on what language you're coding in
ruby can be a bit of a nightmare on windows. Aside from that, there aren't any huge advantages to linux unless you're really into the command line stuff.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have an assignment to make an alarm clock in JavaScript due tomorrow evening and I've got practically nothing.

I do the homework, I stay late after class, but I struggle to complete every major assignment.

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have an assignment to make an alarm clock in JavaScript due tomorrow evening and I've got practically nothing.

I do the homework, I stay late after class, but I struggle to complete every major assignment.

Break the project down into smaller pieces. Put it into code after.

1: keep track of current time
2: let a user set a time for alarm
3: when current time is equal to alarm time, play a sound

Test each part separately before putting it together

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

When are you starting projects after they're assigned? How long are you given for major assignments? The reason I ask is that the biggest rookie mistake is starting a programming assignment too late such as a day or two before. If this sounds like you then you might try starting the assignment, even in a small capacity, the day it's assigned or the day after. That gives you time to comfortably run into issues and plan what you need to do.

If your issue is retaining the concepts then you can remedy that through practice. The more you write code the easier it becomes. When I first started I couldn't comprehend for loops. I threw in the towel until I got to college. Practice practice practice and you'll be fine. Talk to your professors, shyt talk to the brehs. Somebody will help.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Brehs I want to learn C++ on my old laptop.
I downloaded the text editor Vim but what compiler do you recommend?