Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
You'd think that as extensive as the core Java libraries are they'd have something in the SQL package that could easily execute a SQL file. You either have to write your own tool or go third party.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I feel its important to plan 'knowledge goals' or rather what skills or area of knowledge you will really work on during a period of time. Why is this important? Because I've personally bounced from technology to technology and I haven't been better off for it. Focusing on something will help you gain expertise that you can later use to increase your job prospects or to create your own product. Being mediocre in 20 different technologies wont.

This year, I plan on really honing in on my Angular 2 skills and my Responsive Web Design skills. I need to delve deeper into rxjs and ngrx. I will make nodejs and sql my secondary skillset.

Next year I will begin my study of data structures and mathematics.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm thinking about copping one of these e-ink monitors when they are available:

Should help reduce strain on the eyes

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
What would you brehs recommend to actually learn the foundations, theory, and concepts of Computer Science. I'm learning Python and SQL, but I don't actually have a CS background so I think I would benefit from learning CS as a subject. It would provide more clarity as I get deeper in learning the languages.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
What would you brehs recommend to actually learn the foundations, theory, and concepts of Computer Science. I'm learning Python and SQL, but I don't actually have a CS background so I think I would benefit from learning CS as a subject. It would provide more clarity as I get deeper in learning the languages.

I haven't really look at it, but this seems interesting and i'll probably go through it eventually

Computer science | Computing | Khan Academy

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Im using Python and looking to convert my text-based programs into something more user-friendly.

Any suggestions for kits that can be used with Python to develop GUIs?

Not looking for anything too fancy. Just windows, toolbars, input boxes, drop-down menues etc.

Thanks.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Im using Python and looking to convert my text-based programs into something more user-friendly.

Any suggestions for kits that can be used with Python to develop GUIs?

Not looking for anything too fancy. Just windows, toolbars, input boxes, drop-down menues etc.

Thanks.
I think Qt has Python bindings but I'm not positive. I can't think of any other GUI libraries for Python.

So one of the premises behind TDD is that all tests are independent of one another. In my little program I'm trying to have the program execute a SQL script to create the database that the program is dependent upon. Problem is, if the DB doesn't exist, the tests fail in that class. My initial thought around this is ordered tests, but 1) that goes against TDD and 2) JUnit doesn't support it. Any ideas?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Anybody here skilled with Ruby on rails and is looking for a part time gig for 15 to 20 hour a week?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Nix my last question, I just ended up rewriting the class and making it a singleton. It checks that the DB exists before it returns the static instance, if not then run the .sql script to create the db. Turned out to be a very clean solution with less code. And thinking about it, I'm about to go back and eliminate a little bit more code since there's no reason for it.

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
Fantastic thread. I think we should share our qualifications, languages, etc. that way we can ask each other questions if we run into trouble.

Proficient in Languages: C, C++, Java, MatLab
Familiar/Used: Javascript, HTML, CSS, UNIX
Basic knowledge: C#, Obj-C
Programs/IDEs used: Eclipse, Visual Studios, Xcode
Platforms: UNIX/Linux, Android OS, Windows, JVM
Areas of Study/ Research: NFC, Android Kernel security improvements, Algorithm efficiency in searching.

I'm currently part of a group trying to get a startup off the ground. We had a potential source of investment capital, but lost out on that so we're trying to find other sources. It was a very disappointing outcome but it happens.
This thread has so much info..... But many of the top contributors are banned now lol, me( blackking) started it. But i see 5 others too who are banned.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
Reading this thread, some of you aiming way too high for a salary straight out of school.

To be fair, I did the same thing when I graduated. But employers value working experience just as much as nice portfolio.
Working on your own doing cool projects is a lot different than working with a team in a office, in a deadline environment.

Making 80k straight out of school is rare, even where I work. In NYC.
I made 50k starting out out of college, as a front end dev / designer and I was happy. You will build up your portfolio at whatever starting gig you are at and leave in a year and make 15k more. Rinse and repeat and do it the year after.

Most companies can't even afford a full time 6 figure dev, unless they are a big company or a startup where you are on a contract. 80 k salary in NYC is basically a mid level salary, someone who has in the field working for 3-4 years. entry level for the most part is 50 - 60k if you're fortunate.
Most engineers I know are freelancers because most companies can't afford giving out a full time salary and paying for Obamacare. That's why so many jobs are outsourced nowadays. Obama care made getting full time gigs a lot tougher, and employers are very picky who they give those spots too.