Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
If I am interested in possibly making an app... any recommendations as far as YouTube videos or websites explaining what I need to do to make one? Does anyone on here know how to make apps? :whoa: I just ask here because you guys may help point me in the right direction please
First make sure you have a clear concept of what your app is going to be. It's easy to go down the rabbit hole and get lost, especially if you're learning something new. The Android SDK site should have some getting started tutorials where you make a trivial app, start with that. Then the easiest path is to build from that if your concept doesn't require that much outside of what Android provides.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
First make sure you have a clear concept of what your app is going to be. It's easy to go down the rabbit hole and get lost, especially if you're learning something new. The Android SDK site should have some getting started tutorials where you make a trivial app, start with that. Then the easiest path is to build from that if your concept doesn't require that much outside of what Android provides.

I do have a clear concept. I want to make an app for my podcast and website...

But if the android sdk site can help me create a functional app for my podcast then I will try it out.

I do have another app idea that I wanna create but I know exactly what I want from my podcast app... so I'll start there to gain experience.

Double J

Banned
Daps
So are you saying it's not something to do on your own thru YouTube?

You could learn how to do it through YouTube but making an Android app requires that you have at least a decent grasp on Java and Object Oriented Programming in general. But you can learn Java and OOP through YouTube. There are plenty of tutorials available. And then you could move on to building Android apps (which is a whole other beast in a lot of ways). But getting to the point where you'll be able to make an actual functioning and competent app by yourself will NOT be quick and/or easy (presuming you have no prior Java/Android/programming experience).

LinusCaldwell

Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You could learn how to do it through YouTube but making an Android app requires that you have at least a decent grasp on Java and Object Oriented Programming in general. But you can learn Java and OOP through YouTube. There are plenty of tutorials available. And then you could move on to building Android apps (which is a whole other beast in a lot of ways). But getting to the point where you'll be able to make an actual functioning and competent app by yourself will NOT be quick and/or easy (presuming you have no prior Java/Android/programming experience).

Sigh

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Sorry breh but it was never going to be an easy road. If you really want to make it happen then you can, you just need to have the drive. If the prospect of having to learn everything that's needed for Android app development is setting you back now, I'm not sure if this is really what you want to do. You're probably better off teaming up with a breh, someone you trust, or a freelancer.

LinusCaldwell

Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Sorry breh but it was never going to be an easy road. If you really want to make it happen then you can, you just need to have the drive. If the prospect of having to learn everything that's needed for Android app development is setting you back now, I'm not sure if this is really what you want to do. You're probably better off teaming up with a breh, someone you trust, or a freelancer.

I have the drive I just am not sure how quickly I'll be able to grasp everything you know.

Teaming up with a breh would be ideal don't know anyone.

Someone I trust, still don't know anyone.

Freelancer gonna come for my pockets like IRS did Wesley.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I have the drive I just am not sure how quickly I'll be able to grasp everything you know.

Teaming up with a breh would be ideal don't know anyone.

Someone I trust, still don't know anyone.

Freelancer gonna come for my pockets like IRS did Wesley.
I'm a firm believer than anyone can learn to write code, so I'm sure you can do it. It's going to take a good while before you're confident with what you write but you'll be fine if you stick with it. Try to find a free Udemy course on learning Java or look on YouTube so you can learn the basics. Once you're at the point where you can look at code and have a general understanding of what's going on transition into learning Android. Prepare your mind for roadblocks and frustration because they're inevitable :manny:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I been going hard at it with this SQL. It'll feel great being a full stack developer.