Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
What are you an Android developer now?
I'm struggling to find a job breh. My resume seems to read as if I have more experience than I do, but then recruiters want to hit me with the :whoa: when I explain my background :rudy:. And not a word of my resume is a lie. Everything on there is what I've done.

It's pretty demoralizing not getting any traction man. Apply to stuff I'm clearly qualified for and get rejected, apply to stuff that's a stretch and get no response. It really makes you think about the legitimacy of the job market claims for software developers. I personally think these HR people spending a couple of seconds on each resume are doing everyone a disservice. It's your job to find a qualified candidate so actually look over the resume. I don't care how long you've been doing it, skimming is shyt we do in college when we don't care, you shouldn't be doing it when it's your job to read and evaluate.

Double J

Banned
Daps
I'm struggling to find a job breh. My resume seems to read as if I have more experience than I do, but then recruiters want to hit me with the :whoa: when I explain my background :rudy:. And not a word of my resume is a lie. Everything on there is what I've done.

It's pretty demoralizing not getting any traction man. Apply to stuff I'm clearly qualified for and get rejected, apply to stuff that's a stretch and get no response. It really makes you think about the legitimacy of the job market claims for software developers. I personally think these HR people spending a couple of seconds on each resume are doing everyone a disservice. It's your job to find a qualified candidate so actually look over the resume. I don't care how long you've been doing it, skimming is shyt we do in college when we don't care, you shouldn't be doing it when it's your job to read and evaluate.
What's your background? Do you have a degree? What kind of experience do you have?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
What's your background? Do you have a degree? What kind of experience do you have?
Recent graduate, 4ish years of Java and C#, the former in and academic setting, the latter in side projects and unofficial internships. Dabbled with C/C++, JavaScript, Python, and DLang. Android and .NET experience, slowly learning Angular 2. I've done UI, back end, game dev, mobile. I've led small teams, written documentation, done small scale applications from start-to-finish, REST API work, and even a little bit of SQL. I'm not a genius programmer by any means, but I like to think I'm more well-versed than a lot of other new grads.

Double J

Banned
Daps
Recent graduate, 4ish years of Java and C#, the former in and academic setting, the latter in side projects and unofficial internships. Dabbled with C/C++, JavaScript, Python, and DLang. Android and .NET experience, slowly learning Angular 2. I've done UI, back end, game dev, mobile. I've led small teams, written documentation, done small scale applications from start-to-finish, REST API work, and even a little bit of SQL. I'm not a genius programmer by any means, but I like to think I'm more well-versed than a lot of other new grads.
Comp Sci degree?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Would you suggest the same approach for getting hired on as a Java developer? Just have a portfolio of Java programs to show off?
Yes. If you're going to apply for an Android position, having an Android app, preferably with tests, will go a long way in distinguishing you as a candidate. If you want to do Java web development, having a site deployed using Java as the backend will go a long way in showing employers you know what you're doing.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Yeah, the job market is only sweet for people with like 5 years of experience. I think with these coding bootcamps flooding the market with new candidates, it's harder to find an entry level job. The only real solution I've found is accept rejection and just hit up every opening you see, even if you feel like you are underqualified.

This 'everyone needs to learn to code' movement was always intended to help out companies get programmer labor for cheaper, and we're starting to see the effects of that now. I think it's saturated at the entry level, and unless you can show blazing hot work, it's going to be hard to get in at a company. The real sweet time to have gotten in was like 5 years ago when the barriers were nowhere near as high. Still, portfolio, portfolio, portfolio and portfolio is what will get anyone in the door and some other distinguishing characteristic like having a nice blog, writing articles on medium.com or answering people's questions on stackoverflow/quora.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Man I have started working on a side project again that requires me to mess with HTML/CSS. It is crazy how quickly I forgot all that shyt. I feel like I have to learn this shyt all over again.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Man I have started working on a side project again that requires me to mess with HTML/CSS. It is crazy how quickly I forgot all that shyt. I feel like I have to learn this shyt all over again.

what stack are you using for the project?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Yeah html/css is very simple syntactically but actually making things look like how you want is the problem.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town

See if you can apply directly to companies through their websites. That's how I get the most interest. Also see if you

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
If I am interested in possibly making an app... any recommendations as far as YouTube videos or websites explaining what I need to do to make one? Does anyone on here know how to make apps? :whoa: I just ask here because you guys may help point me in the right direction please

Last edited:

Double J

Banned
Daps
If I am interested in possibly making an app... any commendations as far as YouTube videos or websites explaining what I need to do to make one? Does anyone on here know how to make apps? :whoa: I just ask here because you guys may help point me in the right direction please

It will take a lot more than watching a couple of YouTube videos to make a competent functional app (One of any use or value that is)