Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I'm finally almost done with my recent full stack project, then I'm going to start shipping our cv's. I've been working on this thing for months, just a few more edge cases and some design left to handle.

It's an OTP app running on an Elixir/Phoenix server + React on the front end in full GraphQL with no RESTful endpoints consumed. No Redux either, but the Apollo client for React has Redux under the hood. Unfortunately I've heard Elixir was a pain to deploy.

That said, working with DraftJS was the most difficult part about this whole project. I still don't 100% understand all the moving parts to it.

I only have two projects in my portfolio, this one and one in Golang + React/Redux but both of them are deep and feature heavy. I learned a lot going through all of this for over a year and some change. One thing I'm worried about is even though both Elixir and Golang are newer languages that might build steam later, but that's not even guaranteed. Job opportunities right now in both of them aren't the best. Then there's Rust, Kotlin and Crystal starting to get trendy. This shyt moves way too fast.

I may have to start messing with some Python while I'm looking.

Last edited:

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this second project right here is definitely something I was looking for, good look.
:ahh:
Another recruiter email about a c# position, I'm gonna get these two done and show him my limited .net experience, hopefully, the finessing pays off:lolbron:

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
Another recruiter email about a c# position, I'm gonna get these two done and show him my limited .net experience, hopefully, the finessing pays off:lolbron:
most of my recruiters are hitting me about .NET Developer roles when I'm hoping to find something in the C# Software Development realm. this project is getting me right though, lol I'll feel less ridiculous interviewing now...

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
...........the fukk......yo. Another Unreal Engine 4 project.........made by 1 person.

Holy shyt

attachment.php

attachment.php

Game 【Bright Memory】FPS + Action Game Trailer

Ghetto Denizen

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
These requirements for these jobs are getting ridiculous. They want a fullstack programmer that is strong in two different languages and can do both front-end and back-end as a jr position and salary?
I'm like 8 years deep into my career as a software engineer, undergrad and masters and recruiters still have the nerve to hit me up about those "jr" positions

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm finally almost done with my recent full stack project, then I'm going to start shipping our cv's. I've been working on this thing for months, just a few more edge cases and some design left to handle.

It's an OTP app running on an Elixir/Phoenix server + React on the front end in full GraphQL with no RESTful endpoints consumed. No Redux either, but the Apollo client for React has Redux under the hood. Unfortunately I've heard Elixir was a pain to deploy.

That said, working with DraftJS was the most difficult part about this whole project. I still don't 100% understand all the moving parts to it.

I only have two projects in my portfolio, this one and one in Golang + React/Redux but both of them are deep and feature heavy. I learned a lot going through all of this for over a year and some change. One thing I'm worried about is even though both Elixir and Golang are newer languages that might build steam later, but that's not even guaranteed. Job opportunities right now in both of them aren't the best. Then there's Rust, Kotlin and Crystal starting to get trendy. This shyt moves way too fast.

I may have to start messing with some Python while I'm looking.

Honestly man, bet on the stable languages like Javascript, C#, Rails, or Java initially and then when you are steadily employed, you can start putting out personal projects in one of those other languages later and possibly get a job with. You are absolutely right that things change at lightning speed.

Double J

Banned
Daps
The power and ease of use making GUIs with JavaFX is :whew:. Being able to use CSS and XML is great. You can really completely separate the logic and GUI of your program. Huge improvement over Swing.

Any other Java developers in here familar with JavaFX?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
The power and ease of use making GUIs with JavaFX is :whew:. Being able to use CSS and XML is great. You can really completely separate the logic and GUI of your program. Huge improvement over Swing.

Any other Java developers in here familar with JavaFX?
I made a trivial program with it a couple of years back after taking a class in Swing. Swing helped me to understand event listeners, JavaFX helped ease the transition into WPF and Android.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Honestly man, bet on the stable languages like Javascript, C#, Rails, or Java initially and then when you are steadily employed, you can start putting out personal projects in one of those other languages later and possibly get a job with. You are absolutely right that things change at lightning speed.

Yeah no doubt. The only thing I have in that tool box is Javascript. That language is projected going to be around for years to another decade and even after that plenty of jobs to maintain legacy code.

It's crazy though. I actually had fatigue trying to keep up with all the new JS frameworks at the time (they got Vue now smh) and all the build tools like webpack and gulp and even the tooling moving to yarn real quick from npm. When I started around a year ago I just got so fatigued by it I wanted to try backend languages that didn't have many frameworks because there was stability there. Then come to find out there are a host of other backend languages coming "into the scene." SMFH.

But yeah, I just had to accept it comes with the game.

Another question, how do ya'll get recruiters to check on you like that? I'm literally ready to take on whatever offers atm, even if it's a job I'm not all that into, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yeah no doubt. The only thing I have in that tool box is Javascript. That language is projected going to be around for years to another decade and even after that plenty of jobs to maintain legacy code.

It's crazy though. I actually had fatigue trying to keep up with all the new JS frameworks at the time (they got Vue now smh) and all the build tools like webpack and gulp and even the tooling moving to yarn real quick from npm. When I started around a year ago I just got so fatigued by it I wanted to try backend languages that didn't have many frameworks because there was stability there. Then come to find out there are a host of other backend languages coming "into the scene." SMFH.

But yeah, I just had to accept it comes with the game.

Another question, how do ya'll get recruiters to check on you like that? I'm literally ready to take on whatever offers atm, even if it's a job I'm not all that into, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door.

Yeah, the javascript fatigue is extremely nasty stuff. Javascript developers seem like they have ADHD. There is no way you can learn all the frameworks, so IMO, pick one or two that fit you. I personally prefer Angular 2, so I've been sticking with that. I may pick up React because React is hugely popular. In regards to npm and yarn, thankfully, yarn isn't too much different from npm. What's annoying though is how they keep coming up with these new tools and throwing them away a year later. First grunt was the hotness. Then it was gulp. Now they are using webpack for a lot of the stuff grunt was intended for even though it's overall purpose is different (module bundler vs task runner).

The main way to get your foot in the door is to have a solid portfolio of sites you can show, start a linked in and just start applying for jobs nonstop, even if you don't feel like you are qualified. The thing with recruiters hitting you up is on and off. Sometimes it's a ton, and other times it's a really dry period. More than not, you will just have to put in a ton of applications and have a couple of strong sites you've developed that you can show off.

Double J

Banned
Daps
The main way to get your foot in the door is to have a solid portfolio of sites you can show, start a linked in and just start applying for jobs nonstop, even if you don't feel like you are qualified. The thing with recruiters hitting you up is on and off. Sometimes it's a ton, and other times it's a really dry period. More than not, you will just have to put in a ton of applications and have a couple of strong sites you've developed that you can show off.

Would you suggest the same approach for getting hired on as a Java developer? Just have a portfolio of Java programs to show off?

Double J

Banned
Daps
I made a trivial program with it a couple of years back after taking a class in Swing. Swing helped me to understand event listeners, JavaFX helped ease the transition into WPF and Android.

What are you an Android developer now?