Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I made couple of apps with angularjs 1, very difficult but I found the experience rewarding. As a newbie in to the field, how can I land a job as an angularjs dev.?

make sure your github account is very active, learn enough to deploy your sites and apply to as many jobs as possible. A ton won't call you back, so you will have to learn to completely ignore rejection. The more decent looking sites you upload that recruiters, interviewers or whoever can look at, the better. Also, what made me stand out as well was having a programming blog.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you want more jobs right now, ReactJS is more popular, so you might want to learn that. If you want to be more on the bleeding edge, learn Angular 2. I greatly prefer Angular 2 compared to what I've dabbled with of React. Some other technologies that will make you stand out if you learned... be extremely solid with html and css obviously... learn responsive design and media queries. Pick up bootstrap and learn that inside out. Experiment with sass which compiles down to css. Learn gulp and webpack.

RadaMillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, Uganda
Yhh I have like 25 projects on github making sites with basic HTML, CSS, JS, Jquery, Bootstrap. Right now I am making sites for people with small business on the side and at the same time working on making my angularjs skills stronger. I am pretty good with CSS pre-processors like mixings, variable Sass but my media queries needs some work.

I have worked with node.js and grunt to create a cool weather app using a tutorial I found online.

few more months and I will feel much more confident in searching for a job.

Any other recommendations?

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Man once you start learning this Programming shyt you see how little you actually know. :mjcry:

I've been studying Python and SQL heavy these past couple months and practicing with data sets I've been using for work. The capabilities :picard:

And I've only touched the surface. :picard:

Shyt is really exciting once you get into it and I can't wait to learn more to be honest. :ehh:

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
quick advice: don't try to learn every new hot language of the day
make sure to have a firm grasp of concepts/methods
pick one of the on-demand and established tools/platforms you feel the most comfortable with and master it the best you can
yall should be alright

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Man once you start learning this Programming shyt you see how little you actually know. :mjcry:

I've been studying Python and SQL heavy these past couple months and practicing with data sets I've been using for work. The capabilities :picard:

And I've only touched the surface. :picard:

Shyt is really exciting once you get into it and I can't wait to learn more to be honest. :ehh:

What's also interesting is that once you start thinking you know what's going on, something new comes along and you have to learn even more.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's the consensus here on coding bootcamps? I'm in the running to go to one for free through a nonprofit.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's the consensus here on coding bootcamps? I'm in the running to go to one for free through a nonprofit.

I wouldn't pay personally because I can learn quickly on my own but other people thrive better in group learning or teaching led environments etc. Some have decent employer links to get your foot in the industry though. Some are ripoffs.

If it's free, might aswell take the opportunity to link with other coders and get portfolio projects done at the bootcamp

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone here a technical artist or graphics programmer? I'm learning the Unreal Engine and the scenes I'm making aren't 'realistic enough'. Having a hard time learning materials/lighting and the science behind it all.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica

I went to one, It was not the best coding bootcamp and I worked my ass off, but now I have I am on my second job as a software dev and making good money. I don't think its essential but for me it helped me focus and get through some of the beginning struggles of learning how to program

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Went to a couple meetups for the first time this last week and got a lot of employers interested.

I showed them my github and while it doesn't have any finished projects they were feature heavy and sitting around the 75% mark. They really didn't seem to mind because they were overall impressed by the coding style.

Hopefully I can land a job, quite a few employers are really pushing for me right now. A few of them were even like "Are you sure you don't mind if we don't code in Functional Programming?"

Really appreciate all the help in this process coli fam.

Last edited: