Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
ruby code is so much cleaner than javascript. I was actually going back through rails tutorials again and worked through one that integrated angular 2 and rails api. Pretty fun. I'd love to be able to focus on rails, but looks like around here node.js is the in thing, so I've been focusing on that.
It really is such a nice language to program in. I have kinda been forced to start using Ruby/Rails again instead of Elixir and Phoenix since I switched jobs.

I really miss Elixir but I would much rather be writing Ruby than Java or C++.

While I believe most ruby code should be composed of small short methods we have some classes in our code at work that is 3K plus lines of spaghetti code. It is a huge headache to try to read through all of the nested if statements and figure out what logic is being executed.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It really is such a nice language to program in. I have kinda been forced to start using Ruby/Rails again instead of Elixir and Phoenix since I switched jobs.

I really miss Elixir but I would much rather be writing Ruby than Java or C++.

While I believe most ruby code should be composed of small short methods we have some classes in our code at work that is 3K plus lines of spaghetti code. It is a huge headache to try to read through all of the nested if statements and figure out what logic is being executed.

Wow, how did that ever end up happening? Seems like some of these 'senior' developers were skilled at talking to recruiters more than focused on creating maintainable code.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
These requirements for these jobs are getting ridiculous. They want a fullstack programmer that is strong in two different languages and can do both front-end and back-end as a jr position and salary?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
These requirements for these jobs are getting ridiculous. They want a fullstack programmer that is strong in two different languages and can do both front-end and back-end as a jr position and salary?
That's what I'm saying. I swear the tech industry is causing their own problem of not finding "qualified" applicants by looking for too much in a single position.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
That's what I'm saying. I swear the tech industry is causing their own problem of not finding "qualified" applicants by looking for too much in a single position.

Exactly. All the jobs I'm seeing require seniors and there aren't enough to pass around because they never developed any junior programmers. I see stuff for junior 'front-end' positions like must be a full stack developer with 2 years of experience in javascript, react, grunt, gulp, sass, mocha, c#, asp.net

I'm like good luck on that.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Going through stuff on testing is such a slog. Very boring, but a necessary skill to have. Can't wait to be done with this.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Alot of people are going into programming so I guess they need to make the job requirements harder. Literally anyone can learn how to code without stepping foot inside of a college (I did)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Alot of people are going into programming so I guess they need to make the job requirements harder. Literally anyone can learn how to code without stepping foot inside of a college (I did)

I figured this would happen with bootcamps pumping out all of those candidates. The perfect time to get in was like 5 years ago when you get a job with basic Javascript skills like jQuery. Now you have to know 10,000 things. It seems like once you are past the 5 year mark, you will be feasting though.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

These bootcamps are pumping out tons of candidates and there was all of this 'everybody needs to learn to code' talk, so I figured this would eventually happen. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see some kind of programming certifications needed or have them block people out by needing to have a computer science degree, which is already happening to an extent. The perfect time to have gotten in was 5 to 7 years ago when the barriers were much lower and by now, you'd have crossed that 5 year mark and be flooded with offers.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Here is an example of what I'm talking about:
Front End Web Developer ($20,000 sign-on bonus) job - PioneerRx - Irving, TX

This is supposed to be a front-end job, but you have to know C# and sql on top of that?
Every job, no matter what, seems to be turning into a full stack position. I always see Java/C/C++/Python/C# plus JavaScript/Ruby/PHP.

I'm in the second stage of the process with a company right now and I'm hoping it pans out. I have another assessment to take this weekend that's supposed to be around 2.5 hours :stopitslime:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Every job, no matter what, seems to be turning into a full stack position. I always see Java/C/C++/Python/C# plus JavaScript/Ruby/PHP.

I'm in the second stage of the process with a company right now and I'm hoping it pans out. I have another assessment to take this weekend that's supposed to be around 2.5 hours :stopitslime:

This is the result of those 'everybody need to code' movements and those coding bootcamps. I'm sure tech companies got tired of paying a ton of money to coders, so they had to figure out a way to lower wages. A lot of people are flooding into the field so employers can demand more and more while paying less. The problem is that so few have the full stack skillset or desire to learn them because it's hard enough mastering one side of the equation that there are countless opportunities if you master both sides of the equation.

Portfolio really matters in this day and age, and it's what I'm really working on right now.
Here is a listing for a 'front end react developer':

Job description
OnX OnDemand is hiring in Dallas, TX !! 6 month + Contract opportunity with MULTIPLE openings !

We're searching for Front End Web Developer(s) with the following experience :

Java Full Stack Developer
  • 7+ years of experience in web development in large scale enterprise software development environments
  • 5+ years of experience to develop MV(C) based front end frameworks
Must haves:
  • JavaScript, HTML5, CSS3, and Angular.JS, Java, J2EE, jQuery
  • Good understanding of relational databases
  • Familiarity building websites for load-balanced environments
  • Experience working on Agile teams (SCRUM or Kanban preferred)
  • Proven ability in leading global distributed teams by working collaboratively
  • Active contributor of digital communities like Github, Stack Overflow or others

Additional:

• Full stack experience with Java/J2EE is desirable.

APPLY TODAY !
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for any Sponsorship. We cannot accept C2C candidates at this time.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I've been switching between portfolio and interview prep the past few weeks. I started using CodeFights (CodeFights | Test Your Coding Skills!) recently and going through some stuff. I've found it more helpful to go through the general questions rather than jump straight into the interview questions because they tend to be much more difficult. The advice is always "practice the interview questions" but it's hard to jump straight into them and come up with a good solution. The general ones give you a sense of, "this is a little bit of a challenge but I can do this". I'm hoping to power through a few more exercises before I get into the real thing this weekend.

Side question: anyone have experience with C? I'm having a tough time at freeing up some memory I allocated. Essentially what I do is use a function to return a pointer to a struct I've allocated, I work with it, then I free it using another method. Visual Studio keeps triggering a breakpoint when I try to free up the memory.