Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
This project went from C# to C++/CLI to C++ to pure C :wow:. Ended up getting an OK grasp on pointers and memory allocation, linking .DLLs (through visual studio), and even dabbling with multithreading. Doing this in C forces me to do a little more work if I wanted the application to be cross platform, but I think I'm on with that :ehh:. Now if I'm asked if I've done anything with native Windows programming I can say I fuxwiddit :smugfavre:.

Still a ways out though. I need to move some code into their own functions and get them going in their own threads. I need to make sure I'm not leaking memory like a colander, which I very well might be. Lastly I need to figure out what I'm going to do about a GUI. I want to use Election so I can incorporate some JavaScript and pick that up as well, but I might go the Qt route.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Spin

All Star
Daps
Imagine the complexitiy of those algos :damn:

A.i. Trading with no emotion involved :lupe:

In some ways, I think the market is becoming friendlier to the small investor/trader. All the "secret" info these hedge funds had is now in the hands of the average Joe. Commissions keep coming down as well. Quantopian lets you create trading Algo's and test them. The company funds "top performing" Algo's created by the users.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This game was made for the UE4 Spring Jam. Funny premise.

Last edited:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This guy made a fancy looking platformer puzzle type game on the Unreal Engine for some competition

Download: Reflector by Matthewpalaje

Competition: Mirror Game Jam - itch.io

I think the competition is over. These 'jams' are basically gamedev competitions where you quickly construct a game around a single theme. I've never participated but it's a great way to get your skills up. Epic Games have these every season. They're summer 'jam' is here: Game Jam Summer UE4jam! June 29th - July 4th

Double J

Banned
Daps
Felt the urge to throw together a little project this weekend. It compares the headlines from each day Obama was in office to each day Trump was in office. I thought it would be interesting and it was pretty simple to throw together.

Headlines

What did you set up the program to aggregate links from the dates their presidencies began that contained the words "Trump" or "Obama"?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
ruby code is so much cleaner than javascript. I was actually going back through rails tutorials again and worked through one that integrated angular 2 and rails api. Pretty fun. I'd love to be able to focus on rails, but looks like around here node.js is the in thing, so I've been focusing on that.