Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I understand it doesn't, and my portfolio isn't filled with trivial programs like a command line cash register you might do when getting a handle on classes. I've pushed myself into writing documentation for my larger projects and have been working on tangible applications.
Have you worked in groups, or have you just done these projects by yourself?

I'd also say you probably won't get an 80k job right away (but I also don't know what the market is looking like rn). I guess it wouldn't hurt to apply for a job at one of those levels and see what the interview is like. If you speak without a whole bunch of "i don't knows" then you might as well.

Documentation isn't a big deal, until it is. We actually had a technical writer at one company. Another company our documentation consisted of visio design documents. SO if you're looking at programming, documentation is nice to have, but they mainly care about your coding skills. As far as being a PM, I dunno if you'd be able to jump right into that, but again, I don't know what other companies look for in a PM.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Have you worked in groups, or have you just done these projects by yourself?

I'd also say you probably won't get an 80k job right away (but I also don't know what the market is looking like rn). I guess it wouldn't hurt to apply for a job at one of those levels and see what the interview is like. If you speak without a whole bunch of "i don't knows" then you might as well.

Documentation isn't a big deal, until it is. We actually had a technical writer at one company. Another company our documentation consisted of visio design documents. SO if you're looking at programming, documentation is nice to have, but they mainly care about your coding skills. As far as being a PM, I dunno if you'd be able to jump right into that, but again, I don't know what other companies look for in a PM.
Without checking, I'd say 3 or 4 of my projects on GitHub were technically with groups, but I did all the commits because for some reason my group members never actually made use of GitHub. The rest of my projects are individual.

Really the main reason I'm looking to start around $80k is because I know it's possible. Even though it's not the norm I've had friends tell me stories of people landing 6 figures out of college - shyt I think one of my friends is stepping into a role paying 130k. I know I'm as good, if not better, than he is, just behind in other areas :mjpls: . And I'm not really expecting to land a PM role right away, but I think I've built skills that lend themselves to that type of role and I can expedite the process of becoming a PM.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Am I wrong for expecting a job paying at least $80k fresh out of school? It's not like I don't know how to code or don't understand CA fundamentals, I have fairly solid experience and portfolio work for someone in my position. :jbhmmdup:
Pay is usually based off salary and experience. I would say if someone offers you below that and you like the environment,benefits and the team to take the job because it might be hard to hit that 80k number as a new graduate.(depends on the location though)

At my internship, i got to sit in on interviews.If someone asked for salary above the average right out of the gate my boss would ask them the Senior level questions and made them analyze the complexity of some complicated part of our system.Most of them failed the interview because the questions were overly complex. So if your set on 80k be prepared for some interview fukkery and stay fresh on complexity,algorithms.

My boss did pay top $$ to people who impressed him first. they came in the interviews prepared. they researched about the company, gave
suggestions on how he could improve over competitor and why they should be using different framework. So if you can prove you worth it
then why not

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Without checking, I'd say 3 or 4 of my projects on GitHub were technically with groups, but I did all the commits because for some reason my group members never actually made use of GitHub. The rest of my projects are individual.

Really the main reason I'm looking to start around $80k is because I know it's possible. Even though it's not the norm I've had friends tell me stories of people landing 6 figures out of college - shyt I think one of my friends is stepping into a role paying 130k. I know I'm as good, if not better, than he is, just behind in other areas :mjpls: . And I'm not really expecting to land a PM role right away, but I think I've built skills that lend themselves to that type of role and I can expedite the process of becoming a PM.

Dog you cant just put out salaries without putting the Market you are trying to be in.

New Grad Devs ARE NOT getting Six Figures in ANY market that is not NYC, SF, and MAYBE DC/Boston.

Any company throwing out that money is probably a Start Up or one of the Big 4s in which all of their offices for the most parts are in the markets I mentioned above.

I`d rather be a New Grad making 50-60k in Low-Mid market than making 100k in a High market.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Dog you cant just put out salaries without putting the Market you are trying to be in.

New Grad Devs ARE NOT getting Six Figures in ANY market that is not NYC, SF, and MAYBE DC/Boston.

Any company throwing out that money is probably a Start Up or one of the Big 4s in which all of their offices for the most parts are in the markets I mentioned above.

I`d rather be a New Grad making 50-60k in Low-Mid market than making 100k in a High market.
My mistake, SF and Seattle for the examples I mentioned. I'm in the Greater LA Area but looking almost all over.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My mistake, SF and Seattle for the examples I mentioned. I'm in the Greater LA Area but looking almost all over.

ah makes way more sense. lol yeah if thats the case anything under 70k would be on the lower end. 70-80k is about right in those markets. SF will pay the most out of them all but the Cost of Living is probably 20-30% higher.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
ah makes way more sense. lol yeah if thats the case anything under 70k would be on the lower end. 70-80k is about right in those markets. SF will pay the most out of them all but the Cost of Living is probably 20-30% higher.
Yeah and I understand the relationship between salary and cost of living. I'm not looking for a job in a flyover state and expecting 6 figures. I'm just looking for something, say if I get in a more expensive area, to where I can afford to live on my own and not be paycheck to paycheck. After all the work to get to this stage, that's just hustling backwards.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Last edited:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Houston and Orlando seem to have good tech salary to cost of living ratio. I think there's no state income taxes and both those cities aren't that expensive

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Also, don't be so much about a salary that you wind up in a position that isn't gonna get you either up the ladder, or ready to get out on your own... Stagnation is probably the worst job attribute in technology

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah and I understand the relationship between salary and cost of living. I'm not looking for a job in a flyover state and expecting 6 figures. I'm just looking for something, say if I get in a more expensive area, to where I can afford to live on my own and not be paycheck to paycheck. After all the work to get to this stage, that's just hustling backwards.

when do you grad? you should apply to the New Grad SDE Programs at all of the Big 4s (Google, FB, Amazon/Apple, Microsoft) if you really think you got what it takes or just for kicks and giggles.

With Salary, signing Bonus, and Equity you might end up with 115-130k Salary and another 50-100k in bonus/equity

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
when do you grad? you should apply to the New Grad SDE Programs at all of the Big 4s (Google, FB, Amazon/Apple, Microsoft) if you really think you got what it takes or just for kicks and giggles.

With Salary, signing Bonus, and Equity you might end up with 115-130k Salary and another 50-100k in bonus/equity
Just did. I've got applications in with the big 4 already. Probably around 20 with MS and 30-40 with Amazon. I do need to apply to the new grad programs again though.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
That random function, though.

:whoo:

Will make a basic addition/subtraction game for my toddler.

Basic format will be:
----
import random
a = random.randint(1,10)
b = random.randint(1,10)
answer = raw_input("What is {} + {}? ".format(a,b))
if answer == a+b:
print ("Great Job!")
elif:
print ("Try Again!")
-----

Will have to throw a While Loop in there to get it to repeat if the incorrect answer is input, but y'all get the point.

:youngsabo: