Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Help me!!!:sadcam:

BS degree in biology

Im in biotech. I hate it. Too much manual labor for the pay, social atmosphere wack, hours are shyt, hate my coworkers

Taking my first Java class in less than a month, really want to try to make a career out of this and I'm really excited.

:mjgrin: I need a way out. If I happen to like programming. What's the quickest way I can bail biotech.... and switch to programming. If it means more school I'll do it no questions asked

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Am I wrong for expecting a job paying at least $80k fresh out of school? It's not like I don't know how to code or don't understand CA fundamentals, I have fairly solid experience and portfolio work for someone in my position. :jbhmmdup:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Am I wrong for expecting a job paying at least $80k fresh out of school? It's not like I don't know how to code or don't understand CA fundamentals, I have fairly solid experience and portfolio work for someone in my position. :jbhmmdup:

Unless you are in California or NYC you arent getting 80k.

School doesnt teach you how to build enterprise level apps lol.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Unless you are in California or NYC you arent getting 80k.

School doesnt teach you how to build enterprise level apps lol.
I understand it doesn't, and my portfolio isn't filled with trivial programs like a command line cash register you might do when getting a handle on classes. I've pushed myself into writing documentation for my larger projects and have been working on tangible applications.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I understand it doesn't, and my portfolio isn't filled with trivial programs like a command line cash register you might do when getting a handle on classes. I've pushed myself into writing documentation for my larger projects and have been working on tangible applications.
:manny:

Unless you one of them cats who were hacking major companies as a teen nobody cares.

Even when you factor inflation that 115k google and facebook pays new grads in San fran = about 50k in majority of America due to the high COL.

Once you get your foot in the door then you can ask for what you want. Until then companies will continue to pay 50-60k to new grad junior devs that are happy to have a job.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you mind sharing on details about those, Under my belt I have two android apps, and two desktop gui inventory programs , all with documentation. I graudate in august, and I hope to be anything above 60k...:wow:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Do you mind sharing on details about those, Under my belt I have two android apps, and two desktop gui inventory programs , all with documentation. I graudate in august, and I hope to be anything above 60k...:wow:
You sound about on par with me actually; I have a handful of GUI programs, an Android app, a REST API (unused, for a class project). Most of it is Java, the rest C#. I know I need to broaden a bit which is why I'm trying to pick up C/C++ and a bit of JavaScript. I figure I need to offset my weak work experience with good portfolio work.

As far as the documentation goes, I have a friend who likes to pitch project ideas and such. He almost always has some form of documentation and I thought it would be a good practice to start following. Essentially what I did was look up Software Design Documents and try to emulate them. Once you find a style you like then just copy and paste when you get ready to start a new one. I've done about 3 or 4 so far - none of them 100% finished because of either time constraints or my momentum outpaced documentation. Regardless though, I like being able to think somewhat in-depth about what you're going to do, hash out features and problems in your mind before you start writing any meaningful code. Plus how many recent graduates are going to be able to say that they've really written any documentation? I feel it's a leg up on those around us because we can show 1) We can do documentation and 2) That we can communicate effectively through writing. Maybe I can parlay this into an early PM type of role :ehh:.