Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How did y'all get good at programming brehs?

Much of my career in technology has been on the Linux Operations side of things. I worked support for smaller companies then landed a job into Web Hosting where I worked on Openstack much of those 5 years there. I was doing a lot of Cloud Computing related tasks in my role. Half the time I was in an Operations role having moved up from support.

I have some experience in Configuration Management and have been in some SRE roles as of late, but I notice that I have a huge gap in my repertoire and that is in programming. I honestly never thought I had anything useful to code so I used to not attempted until recently. I could understand some syntax and attempted some a bit, but I'd get sidetracked.

Now I realize not honing that skillset could hurt me a lot in the future with potential roles. If you're not an ops guy with some configuration management experience and some coding, then good luck in the next few years. I don't want to be left behind this trend.

What have you guys done to adjust or improve your skillset in this aspect in the industry now? Did it land you DevOps and/or SRE roles?

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA

Learn hands on. Read the concepts (out of a book). Try it (live on your computer). Reinforce it with other material (tutorials, MSDN, Mozilla Dev, Youtube).

Applying what you learn is super important. Like with all things it takes time.

I've been programming in 1 language or another for 15 years and I know there are nikkas in here that will code circles around me because I became a front end guy and got soft.

A, B, C.

Always Be Coding :smugdraper:

Spin

All Star
Daps

Much of my career in technology has been on the Linux Operations side of things. I worked support for smaller companies then landed a job into Web Hosting where I worked on Openstack much of those 5 years there. I was doing a lot of Cloud Computing related tasks in my role. Half the time I was in an Operations role having moved up from support.

I have some experience in Configuration Management and have been in some SRE roles as of late, but I notice that I have a huge gap in my repertoire and that is in programming. I honestly never thought I had anything useful to code so I used to not attempted until recently. I could understand some syntax and attempted some a bit, but I'd get sidetracked.

Now I realize not honing that skillset could hurt me a lot in the future with potential roles. If you're not an ops guy with some configuration management experience and some coding, then good luck in the next few years. I don't want to be left behind this trend.

What have you guys done to adjust or improve your skillset in this aspect in the industry now? Did it land you DevOps and/or SRE roles?

If you're already doing configuration management with linux, why not learn Ansible, Chef, Puppet or a combination of the 3? Combined with AWS, you should be making over 100k easy. Do you know how to write scrips in bash?

You might want to look at the Udacity front end and full stack programs. They're project based and will give you a portfolio to work with. They also have a few free courses. One word of advice, document everything. I have wasted time frustrated not remembering how to install a program or set up simple things. Documenting will drill it into your memory and give you something to show off in interviews.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have a certification in salt stack but learning Puppet on my own now.

I'm around 100k but I want to maintain that ya know :smile: I want to take advantage of the market as much as I can you secure my future.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm very glad that JetBrains created Project Rider. I'm very well accustomed to Webstorm, so being able to do my C# development in a very similar IDE is perfect.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm very glad that JetBrains created Project Rider. I'm very well accustomed to Webstorm, so being able to do my C# development in a very similar IDE is perfect.
I tried it when it was early access about a year ago, there was some issues transferring VS projects over. If that's been resolved I might get back into it. Jet Brains refactoring tools are :whew:. I can only imagine how useful they are in a large scale project.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I tried it when it was early access about a year ago, there was some issues transferring VS projects over. If that's been resolved I might get back into it. Jet Brains refactoring tools are :whew:. I can only imagine how useful they are in a large scale project.

I don't even think of using another IDE for development. I tried Project Rider way back as well, and it was too raw, but it's working quite well for my purposes now. Once you really understand some of the shortcuts and hidden functionality, it's really difficult to go back to something else. At work we have it tied in with our version control and you can compare the file you are working on with older renditions. All kinds of interesting features that you can uncover.

On a side note, I'm thinking about starting a series on youtube about programming topics.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Sup all,

I have some bootcamps (from $200 to $10K) I'm willing to upload if people are interested. It's mainly for beginners or people who want refresher on front/back end development.

I have a lot of advanced courses in C# and game dev for my own personal use but I'd be willing to share those.

I was going to put a masterclass up in JBO but only if people actually want the shyt.

It's mainly videos from sites like Udemy, Lynda, and Addison Wesley. I can vouch for most of these videos (very beginner friendly stuff with links/resources)

Figured I'd pass the sauce since it's benefitted me :kobedunno:

Anyway, keep coding.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sup all,

I have some bootcamps (from $200 to $10K) I'm willing to upload if people are interested. It's mainly for beginners or people who want refresher on front/back end development.

I have a lot of advanced courses in C# and game dev for my own personal use but I'd be willing to share those.

I was going to put a masterclass up in JBO but only if people actually want the shyt.

It's mainly videos from sites like Udemy, Lynda, and Addison Wesley. I can vouch for most of these videos (very beginner friendly stuff with links/resources)

Figured I'd pass the sauce since it's benefitted me :kobedunno:

Anyway, keep coding.
Drop the goods pleighboi:whoo:
learning html/css/js right now, I find this to be more of bytch than software development:why:

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Drop the goods pleighboi:whoo:
learning html/css/js right now, I find this to be more of bytch than software development:why:
I got you. Gonna find a place to host and I'll upload tonight when I'm off to JBO

Edit: I got the masterclass thread in JBO

Last edited: