Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
What did you use to make the requests? GenServer, Tasks, Agents, or just spawned processes?

I actually used the httpoison library for it:
GitHub - edgurgel/httpoison: Yet Another HTTP client for Elixir powered by hackney

Another link, applying it:
Snip2Code - Async vs Sync http requests

If I remember correctly, I did something that looks like what they had in the code:
Code:
        urls = ["https://someapi with post info", "https://someapi with post info2", ...]
        urls
        |> Enum.map(fn(url) -> Task.async(fn -> HTTPoison.post(url, body, headers, timeout: 1500) end) end)
        |> Enum.map(&Task.await(&1, 30000))
        |> Enum.each(fn({status, result}) ->
              if (status == :ok) do
               # uploaded result to db
              else
               # sent error message
              end
            end)
where the post body and headers were made by:
Code:
body = Poison.encode!(%{
            "api_key": api_key,
            "user_id": user.id
     })
headers = [{"Content-type","application/json"}]

Last edited:

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Won't stop, can't stop. Failure not an option B :win:

Go to sleep with this baby next to me

Check out Javascript the Good Parts by Doug Crockford, he's one of the most respected writers on the language I'd say. It's a short concise book that clears up some of the ambiguities of the language

Question for you guys that already have jobs, what is considered "good enough" to earn a jr dev position?

Varys by company and location really. Some companies are so desperate they damn near will train you on the job. Other companies like Google expect "new grad" hires to be able to code data structure algorithms in the interview and explain time and space complexity
My first developer job I didn't even have to code in the interview....they just talked to me lol :manny:

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone here ever signed up for Coding Dojo?

I'm looking at registering for a 14 week onsite bootcamp in DC to learn Python, Mean & Ruby Rails.

Is this a good use of my resources?

Background: I'm a project management, construction mgmt, real estate development, property/portfolio management professional. Trying to develop new skills.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica

I'm looking at registering for a 14 week onsite bootcamp in DC to learn Python, Mean & Ruby Rails.

Background: I'm a project management, construction mgmt, real estate development, property/portfolio management professional. Trying to develop new skills.
I have read horror stories about Coding dojo

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

If you're going to get into programming, you're going to have to cut a lot of the other stuff out that you're doing unless they are something you can interact with passively. Programming is very time consuming. Those 14 month bootcamps are there to teach you the basics and get you to a point where you can be productive, but you'll have tons of learning while on the job and after the job. Frankly, I don't see how they can teach all of that information in a little over 3 months. Teaching MEAN is Javascript, HTML, and CSS, and then Ruby and Ruby on Rails and Python and Django on top of that? I can see that as being very confusing for beginners.

The real question is, is coding something you really want to do or are you after it for the promise of money? If it's the money, I'd suggest you stick with what you're doing now and really focus on that because this can be really time consuming and you will have to spend a ton of time outside of work learning. What ultimately pays as long as you are in a decent profession is competence, and it's going to be hard to be highly competent if you're spreading yourself thin..

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My Pi Cluster thus far

cJeKSkP.jpg

Installed SaltStack on it (configuration management). Going to play with Docker with it.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If you're going to get into programming, you're going to have to cut a lot of the other stuff out that you're doing unless they are something you can interact with passively. Programming is very time consuming. Those 14 month bootcamps are there to teach you the basics and get you to a point where you can be productive, but you'll have tons of learning while on the job and after the job. Frankly, I don't see how they can teach all of that information in a little over 3 months. Teaching MEAN is Javascript, HTML, and CSS, and then Ruby and Ruby on Rails and Python and Django on top of that? I can see that as being very confusing for beginners.

The real question is, is coding something you really want to do or are you after it for the promise of money? If it's the money, I'd suggest you stick with what you're doing now and really focus on that because this can be really time consuming and you will have to spend a ton of time outside of work learning. What ultimately pays as long as you are in a decent profession is competence, and it's going to be hard to be highly competent if you're spreading yourself thin..

I'm trying to transition to another field where I can still utilize my project mgmt skills. Long term, I'd prefer to be an investor in real estate and construction projects as opposed to an employee. So yeah, I guess learning to code is about the money.

I can commit the time and self learning if it's feasible to actually learn this stuff in such a short period of time. I'm just wary of being scammed.

Would I be better off learning on my own first before investing in a bootcamp?

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I've been meaning to give an update sooner. I got offered a full time position at the company I was interning at a few weeks ago. I officially started as a full time iOS engineer last Monday.

These past few months have been a hell of a learning experience and I've a lot more to learn. But I'm excited about fully getting my foot in the door, working on my long term goals as a software engineer and seeing what's next.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm trying to transition to another field where I can still utilize my project mgmt skills. Long term, I'd prefer to be an investor in real estate and construction projects as opposed to an employee. So yeah, I guess learning to code is about the money.

I can commit the time and self learning if it's feasible to actually learn this stuff in such a short period of time. I'm just wary of being scammed.

Would I be better off learning on my own first before investing in a bootcamp?

Bootcamps are like 12 hours a day for 12 to 24 weeks, and when you get out, they get you to a level where you're competent enough look at production apps. It'll take months on the job to actually get your skills up to where you'll be comfortable adding new features and all of that. Despite what these hype articles are pumping, programming is not something that you will learn in a few weeks and come out making hundreds of thousands of dollars with ease. If it was really that easy, those article writers woudln't be writing those articles. They'd be making that easy 6 figures. You could get lucky and luck up on a 6 figure job out of bootcamp, but that would likely be in a very expensive city and who knows how long that job will keep you employed to actually see those 6 figures.

Realistically, you'll have to continuously learn and spend a decent amount of time outside of the job keeping up with new concepts. Things change fast in this field. Before you spend $20,000, $40,000 or whatever ridiculous prices these bootcamps have gotten up to, play around with freecodecamp.com and buy one of those $10 courses off of Udemy to see whether this is something you actually like. This is going to save you a ton of money if you don't like it. Programming salaries are going to start going down for entry level programmers once more of these bootcampers start flooding the market, so if you're doing it solely for money, I wouldn't really bother, because you're going to have to spend a lot of time outside of work developing the skills to distinguish yourself to get those high salaries.

Try it out and make sure this is something you can be dedicated to and put the other stuff on the backburner to pursue. This isn't really a 'quick hustle' type thing.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm interested in learning more programming because a DevOps or SRE role is the continuation of a sysadmin in their career. I already have strong systems and networking knowledge. My programming chops are just lacking.

Really just trying to adjust to the market so I try and practice in my spare time.