Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
But I don't want to have to try :to:

LOL you gotta.

So my mom called me and asked "How's your job going and how's training?" :jbhmm:

So I explain her my role as a SRE. I'm handing the alerting system and doing some changes on the fly. Some of the technologies like ElasticSearch and Zookeeper I'm unfamiliar with, but I'm not the one managing those, I'm simply attempting to keep the reliability of these services up. I'm explaining that htere is some learning curve to it since I've been there only a little over a month.

She asks "Is it something you know, or is it something you're learning? :usure:"

:francis:

She works in technology (Telecommunication) and she should know there's always a technology that is dumped and a new hotness is introduced every 2-3 years. Kind of irritated me. There's even jobs that ask if you can program in any language because that generally translates in you being able to pick up others rather quickly.

Then she asked

"You're not breaking anything are you?" :dwillhuh:

It was like taking to my grandma about it. I dunno why but I sort of get annoyed or feel my intelligence is challenged when I get a job offer and I get challenge by my own family (the females in it really) about whether or not I can do the job lol.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Something I've found that's important, especially in the Javascript world is to just pick something and roll with it. You can't know it all. There are way too many frameworks. Try a few of them out and pick the one that most gels with you instead of trying to know all of them. Pick one or two languages and roll with it. I spend a lot of time flitting from this to that technology and have experimented with all these different languages, but for now I've settled on Javascript and C#. Front end framework is Angular 2. On the back-end I'm using Node and HapiJS. I may eventually look at Asp.net core. On the game development tip, I'm thinking about Phaser now and unity later.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Seems like there's no hope for even a jr dev job without a computer science degree :mjcry:
I have a Master's but its in Criminal Justice, and I can't afford to go back to school for CS :snoop:
Does anyone have any good job search resources or recommendations ? Indeed and Monster have too much spam to wade through
A breh I know studied for one year (the hard way) and landed a jr dev gig with a small start up. Stayed there for about 8-10 months then landed a position with a Fortune 500 company. Stayed there for one year. Now he's making well over six figures at another Fortune 500 company as a Sr Dev. What do I mean by "the hard way"? He said, if he knew about Lynda/Pluralsight/Udemy and others when he first started learning, it would have taken him less than 6 months before landing that first jr dev position. Also, he had just finished his 2nd year in college as a CS major when he first started learning to code outside of school. That summer, he decided to learn to code while working night shift at some entry level job. He got so invested in learning to code, never went back to school after that summer. Now he's making 6 figures. I'm not playin. People are really making this happen.

Last edited:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think without a degree it's hard to crack entry level. Once you get more work experience and are mid to senior level you get more opportunities coming your way.

I did some college, didn't complete. For the longest it took me a while to land a job. Now it's much easier because I've been in the industry more than 7 years and I'm at six figures.

Still get doubt from my mother or something which irritates me lol even though I have no debt, excellent credit, saving right, etc

Spin

All Star
Daps
A breh I know studied for one year (the hard way) and landed a jr dev gig with a small start up. Stayed there for about 8-10 months then landed a position with a Fortune 500 company. Stayed there for one year. Now he's making well over six figures at another Fortune 500 company as a Sr Dev. What do I mean by "the hard way"? He said, if he knew about Lynda/Pluralsight/Udemy and others when he first started learning, it would have taken him less than 6 months before landing that first jr dev position. Also, he had just finished his 2nd year in college as a CS major when he first started learning to code outside of school. That summer, he decided to learn to code while working night shift at some entry level job. He got so invested in learning to code, never went back to school after that summer. Now he's making 6 figures. I'm not playin. People are really making this happen.

I can co-sign the Python fundamentals course on Pluralsight. Some of it is still too advanced for me, but it made much more sense than the old Code School videos I attempted to learn from.

Question for you guys that already have jobs, what is considered "good enough" to earn a jr dev position? I'm going to throw some code up on github, but I don't know how much of a portfolio I need to be taken serious. I'm actually focused on IT Security for now, but programming is a big asset to have for a pen tester. Now that I'm starting to make progress with coding, I'm more open minded to a pure dev gig.

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Just waiting to hear back from UCLA and/or USC for Statistics Grad Program. I'm studying the fukk out of Python part time after I get off work. Hoping to understand that and RAR to a decent level over the next couple years. With Supply Chain Operations experience, A M.S. in Stats, and having advanced abilities in a couple coding languages, I want to come out of Grad School with a big wig making 6 figures something Data Science related. Lot of hard work in between all of that, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel brehs. Just gotta grind my ass off now :wow:

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Spent about 7 hours today finally figuring out how message passing between processes works in Elixir. I wanted to give up about 10 times because I was so confused but I stuck with it and finally got a grasp on Tasks, Agents, and GenServers. It's wild how some shyt is so confusing at first that you want to quit, then after you spend some time with it and figure it out and look back at the code everything looks so simple.

Really excited about this Elixir shyt, I am hoping that the demand will grow and I will be able to demand a ton of money because I hopped on the train early and will have tons of experience.

Anyone else playing around with this language??

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Something I've found that's important, especially in the Javascript world is to just pick something and roll with it. You can't know it all. There are way too many frameworks. Try a few of them out and pick the one that most gels with you instead of trying to know all of them. Pick one or two languages and roll with it. I spend a lot of time flitting from this to that technology and have experimented with all these different languages, but for now I've settled on Javascript and C#. Front end framework is Angular 2. On the back-end I'm using Node and HapiJS. I may eventually look at Asp.net core. On the game development tip, I'm thinking about Phaser now and unity later.

I'm working on Unity now...great way to familiarize yourself with C# and it's pretty fun too

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
I think without a degree it's hard to crack entry level. Once you get more work experience and are mid to senior level you get more opportunities coming your way.

I did some college, didn't complete. For the longest it took me a while to land a job. Now it's much easier because I've been in the industry more than 7 years and I'm at six figures.

Still get doubt from my mother or something which irritates me lol even though I have no debt, excellent credit, saving right, etc

People (on the internet) are saying your portfolio says more than a degree does when it comes to entry level...not sure how true that is :patrice:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Spent about 7 hours today finally figuring out how message passing between processes works in Elixir. I wanted to give up about 10 times because I was so confused but I stuck with it and finally got a grasp on Tasks, Agents, and GenServers. It's wild how some shyt is so confusing at first that you want to quit, then after you spend some time with it and figure it out and look back at the code everything looks so simple.

Really excited about this Elixir shyt, I am hoping that the demand will grow and I will be able to demand a ton of money because I hopped on the train early and will have tons of experience.

I messed around with it for a little while, but Javascript and C# keep me too busy to really delve into it.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

I love Elixir. I dropped into processes last week because I had to make asynchronous requests to another api with it. I didn't quite deep dive though into the subject, just got it to work enough for me to get my feature down, but I was somewhat familiar with the technology because Golang does the same/similar thing with go routines/channels. I'll really start getting deeper with it pretty soon though, it's definitely a heavy topic. Both of those languages are beast at concurrent programming.

The bolded is really the only thing working against it when it comes to mainstream acceptance. Kind of similar to Haskell because it does take a decent amount of more effort than normal to master it. It's worth it though, but the question will be if people want to put in the extra effort.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that mastering a language is never a bad thing, as I'm pretty sure it'll lead into a job, even if the language isn't as popular as others.

Last edited:

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
I love Elixir. I dropped into processes last week because I had to make asynchronous requests to another api with it. I didn't quite deep dive though into the subject, just got it to work enough for me to get my feature down, but I was somewhat familiar with the technology because Golang does the same/similar thing with go routines/channels. I'll really start getting deeper with it pretty soon though, it's definitely a heavy topic. Both of those languages are beast at concurrent programming.

The bolded is really the only thing working against it when it comes to mainstream acceptance. Kind of similar to Haskell because it does take a decent amount of more effort than normal to master it. It's worth it though, but the question will be if people want to put in the extra effort.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that mastering a language is never a bad thing, as I'm pretty sure it'll lead into a job, even if the language isn't as popular as others.
What did you use to make the requests? GenServer, Tasks, Agents, or just spawned processes?