Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

BLAZO da GAWD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW ERA
Folks...

I have a cousin that's been a programmer for going on 15 years now. Has a masters in something too. What certifications can he look to acquire to get the higher paying jobs in IT or even programming?

I saw a thread on here last week and a lot of coli heads who work in IT pulled over $100k/year. Salute to y'all.

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
Folks...

I have a cousin that's been a programmer for going on 15 years now. Has a masters in something too. What certifications can he look to acquire to get the higher paying jobs in IT or even programming?

I saw a thread on here last week and a lot of coli heads who work in IT pulled over $100k/year. Salute to y'all.

Security is the way to go right now. Cryptology

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Folks...

Seems odd that he wouldn't already have a 100k salary. What does he program and where is he located?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Got to love Typescript. Lets me stay in the Javascript world, but also code in a fashion that can transfer over to other languages like C#.

knickscrusaderm

lead by example
Daps
Reppin
dark butts
How comfortable were you guys with technology period before going into programming? I feel like really giving this a try as a career because programming can be fun and rewarding at times (:noah:) but when I was first started out in high school my mindset was too immature to take this seriously. The first time I had an issue I would be like :yeshrug: fukk it, despite the fact that I was rolling through projects.

Also what is the day-to-day life of a programmer in a job setting? Y'all be coding shyt for 8 straight hours before getting turned loose? :lupe:.

And how do we feel about web development as a career? I know it's a lot of questions but I have the privilege of going to school for the next two years essentially debt free and want to make sure I create the best path possible so I can just focus on school.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I love it, so programming all day is no problem for me. It's a constant learning process. If you don't love programming, I'm not sure I'd jump in because you will have to spend a lot of time keeping up on new developments.

Daps
C7DuXeiW0AA4G4T.jpg

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
That Javascript reference is a really difficult book to learn from. The javascript reference by nick zakas is better

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
How comfortable were you guys with technology period before going into programming? I feel like really giving this a try as a career because programming can be fun and rewarding at times (:noah:) but when I was first started out in high school my mindset was too immature to take this seriously. The first time I had an issue I would be like :yeshrug: fukk it, despite the fact that I was rolling through projects.

Also what is the day-to-day life of a programmer in a job setting? Y'all be coding shyt for 8 straight hours before getting turned loose? :lupe:.

And how do we feel about web development as a career? I know it's a lot of questions but I have the privilege of going to school for the next two years essentially debt free and want to make sure I create the best path possible so I can just focus on school.

Day to Day is dumb scrum meetings, messing around on the coli, and maybe about an hour of actual development lol.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Any of you using any phone apps? I'm starting to get off my lazy ass and I'm using Sololearn and enki. I'm fukkin behind

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
About to get back into Game Development. Really haven't touched it in 5 months or so ( Female + Drama got in the way, lesson learned :snoop: ) Plus work really picked up. But one of the things I love about programming is you can take what you do at work and put it into side projects to make $$$$$.

Picked up this book.

About to be back at it:ohlawd:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ