Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Just spent half the day converting a psd from my designer to html and css. VSCode was perfect for that. intellisense autocomplete? and the little color boxes next to the hex codes. Thanks!
Vscode is perfect for quick development and has replaced sublime for me on that end. For deep js development, you cant beat webstorm

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Re-learning c# looking at some old code. Felt like posting this here:

Code:
using System;

namespace QuickTest
{
    class MainClass
    {
        public static void Main (string[] args)
        {

float initial_investment = 100.0f;
            float interest = 0.1f;
            float sum = initial_investment;
            int years = 0;

Console.WriteLine ( initial_investment.ToString() );

while ( sum <= initial_investment * 2.0f ) {           

sum += sum * interest;
                Console.WriteLine ( sum.ToString() );

years++;
            }

Console.WriteLine ("It will take " + years.ToString () + " years to double your money.");
        }
    }
}

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

Code:
using System;

namespace QuickTest
{
    class MainClass
    {
        {

float interest = 0.1f;
            int years = 0;

sum += sum * interest;

years++;
            }

Console.WriteLine ("It will take " + years.ToString () + " years to double your money.");
        }
    }
}
There's no need to explicitly call ToString() on primitives.

Double J

Banned
Daps

Code:
using System;

namespace QuickTest
{
    class MainClass
    {
        {

float interest = 0.1f;
            int years = 0;

sum += sum * interest;

years++;
            }

}
    }
}

Didn't know C# was so similar in syntax to Java :ehh:

Spin

All Star
Daps
What CMS do you front-end developers use for clients? I always hear about Wordpress, but from a security standpoint seems like there are many issues. For non-technical small business owners, it might not the best solution. I was looking into Perch for clients. For myself, I'm going to look into Hugo since it's written in GO and I want to learn.

I managed to put together a basic movie trailer site in Python that plays videos from Youtube. I actually enjoyed the backend development, but the front end kind of has me :wtf:. Not that it's hard (I used a basic template), but it seems there are endless options. When you guys deal with paying clients, do you take a mock and try to find the closest bootstrap template or do you do everything from scratch? Seems like you could spend tons of hours trying to get everything "right".

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What CMS do you front-end developers use for clients? I always hear about Wordpress, but from a security standpoint seems like there are many issues. For non-technical small business owners, it might not the best solution. I was looking into Perch for clients. For myself, I'm going to look into Hugo since it's written in GO and I want to learn.

I managed to put together a basic movie trailer site in Python that plays videos from Youtube. I actually enjoyed the backend development, but the front end kind of has me :wtf:. Not that it's hard (I used a basic template), but it seems there are endless options. When you guys deal with paying clients, do you take a mock and try to find the closest bootstrap template or do you do everything from scratch? Seems like you could spend tons of hours trying to get everything "right".

I'm not a front designer, but I do enjoy the development piece of the front end. I haven't done many paid projects of this type, but I basically get a designer to get me a layout. Seperating focusing on design from focusing on the functionalilty helps so you your not mid function, then you decide that button actually isn't the shape you like.

How much it may cost for a designer to do it may vary, but you have to keep in mind, a good designer is going to have to design all the pages, then probably design those pages 2-3 more times because of multiple devices/screen sizes. I'm sure someone else on here has more web app or at least website development work than I have.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I don't know what it is, but I can never finish NodeJS tutorials. I didn't have this problem when using Rails.

On another note, I really need to find a web designer to pair up with. I simply don't have the patience to make pretty pages.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I don't know what it is, but I can never finish NodeJS tutorials. I didn't have this problem when using Rails.

On another note, I really need to find a web designer to pair up with. I simply don't have the patience to make pretty pages.

Not having to do any art, graphic design type work is so comforting man, lol. I do wish they came with the css/html skills to, but I guess you cant get everything

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Can someone point me in the right direction with something I'm trying to do.

I want to create a script that generates a cisco router configuration file.

The idea is 1 file with all the global variables (this file is called settings for example)....

Code:
def variables():
    global hostName, vpn_key
    hostname = []
    vpn_key = []

The next file (main) will reference the settings variables function and this is the actual file that someone will make their changes to fit the specific device...

Code:
import settings

settings.variables()

def change():
    settings.hostName.append("Cisco7200")
    settings.vpn_key.append("DiplomaticIMMUNITY")

Now the configuration file for cisco devices are set in a specific order. Is it possible to generate a separate text file that references the variables created in settings and passes the changes that were made in main.py ??

For example it could look something like this...

Code:
!
hostname {{hostName}}
!
boot-start-marker
!
logging buffered 24576 informational
vpn key {{vpn_key}}
!
aaa new-model
!
!