Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
You should definitely take a look into Angular 2, especially with your C# background. The ability to use Typescript as default is huge. Angular CLI is also sweet. Angular 1 felt like a sort of JS/HTML hack, while 2 feels like a proper front-end framework. Angular 2 is a lot better than 1.
Have you worked with Ember at all? If so, how's the feel between the two?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Have you worked with Ember at all? If so, how's the feel between the two?

I dabbled with Ember before I got this job. It might have changed, but it reminded me of Ruby on Rails on the front end. Out of the frameworks/libraries I've dabbled with, right now I prefer Angular 2 over both React and Ember. For large apps, I'd recommend Angular 2. For something smaller, you might want to try React. I haven't tried Vue or Aurelia... don't really have a desire to try them right now.

Since you are familiar with C# and typescript is taking precedence with Angular 2, I have a feeling Angular 2 will be the smoothest fit for you.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I dabbled with Ember before I got this job. It might have changed, but it reminded me of Ruby on Rails on the front end. Out of the frameworks/libraries I've dabbled with, right now I prefer Angular 2 over both React and Ember. For large apps, I'd recommend Angular 2. For something smaller, you might want to try React. I haven't tried Vue or Aurelia... don't really have a desire to try them right now.

Since you are familiar with C# and typescript is taking precedence with Angular 2, I have a feeling Angular 2 will be the smoothest fit for you.

I'll try to work with it on my next web project.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, anyway to get these programs for free?

edit: jk stopped being stupid and went to code academy

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Done with my 5 month Haskell journey. Finished my RESTful API earlier.

It's a real nice language, but imo not something I'll stick with.

There are other languages that are more suitable for web development both on the front and back end.

Really sums it up:
The reason I’ll give is that Haskell’s otherwise excellent composability is destroyed at I/O boundaries, just like every other language. That is, we are at stage 4 above, where the bottleneck to further composition is these program boundaries. Since most software systems (especially those that span multiple nodes), have a large surface area in contact with the outside world, the code devoted to merely getting information at these boundaries into some more computable form is often the bulk of the work; once the data is in computable form, the actual computation needing to be done is easy.

If you’re writing a CRUD app, or some other computationally boring system that has a large, complex surface area in contact with the outside world, writing code to deal with that program boundary often dominates the codebase.

Where we see Haskell (or more generally, typed FP) excel is for programs that have minimal surface area in contact with the outside world, but with a large amount of interesting computation happening internally. A good example: compilers. Compilers don’t have much interaction with the outside world—just reading some files—but have lots of interesting computation happening internally, for things like typechecking, code generation, and so on. Haskell excels here; I would not be surprised if Haskell were 100x better than Java for writing compilers. Writing CRUD apps? Haskell isn’t as much of a win.

Julia looks pretty promising, but I'm done learning new languages.

Last edited:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Done with my 5 month Haskell journey. Finished my RESTful API earlier.

It's a real nice language, but imo not something I'll stick with.

There are other languages that are more suitable for web development both on the front and back end.

Really sums it up:

Julia looks pretty promising, but I'm done learning new languages.
Thanks for sharing. This is good to know

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
In Python, how do you print out individual items in a dictionary?

Working on an exercise wherein you build a student/grade dictionary based on user input.

So, you'd end up with something like student_grades = {"student 1": "A", "student 2": "B", "student 3": "C"}

Now, I'd like to make a little function that prints out the following:
Student Grades:
Student 1: A
Student 2: B
Student 3: C

I'd like to print this out using some type of "for" function (I think)...but can't get it.

Help?

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
In Python, how do you print out individual items in a dictionary?

Working on an exercise wherein you build a student/grade dictionary based on user input.

So, you'd end up with something like student_grades = {"student 1": "A", "student 2": "B", "student 3": "C"}

Now, I'd like to make a little function that prints out the following:
Student Grades:
Student 1: A
Student 2: B
Student 3: C

I'd like to print this out using some type of "for" function (I think)...but can't get it.

Help?

Edit - found it...this prints out exactly what I was looking for:
for key, value in student_grades.iteritems() :
print key, value

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyone work for the government? More specifically a defense contractor? I have an interview opportunity and I wanted to get a feel of what it's like.

Taharqa

Superstar
Daps
_94252167_nji-collins-01.jpg
Image copyrightNJI COLLINS GBAH

The first African winner in Google's annual coding competition is 370km (230 miles) from home, sitting outside his cousins' house in the Cameroonian capital, Yaounde, because the government has cut off his hometown from the internet.

As cocks crow in the background, 17-year-old Nji Collins Gbah tells the BBC about the series of complex technical tasks he completed for Google between November and mid-January.

Nji had thrown himself into the contest, using knowledge gained from two years of learning how to code, mainly from online sources and books, as well as other skills he was picking up on the fly.

The prestigious Google Code-in is open to pre-university students worldwide between the ages of 13 and 17. This year more than 1,300 young people from 62 countries took part.

By the time entries closed, Nji had completed 20 tasks, covering all five categories set by Google. One task alone took a whole week to finish.

And then just a day after the deadline for final submissions, the internet went dead.

Nji lives in Bamenda in Cameroon's North-West, a journey of about seven hours by road from the capital (according to Google).

It is an English-speaking region where there are long-held grievances about discrimination and what people see as the Francophone establishment's failure to respect the status of English as an official language of Cameroon.

In recent months, disgruntlement has escalated into street protests and strikes by lawyers and teachers.

_92622761_cameroon_nwsw2016.png

Image captionNorth-West and South-West are Cameroon's two English-speaking regions
The authorities have responded with scores of arrests and a text-message campaign warning people of long jail terms for "spreading false news" or "malicious use of social media".

Cutting off the internet, an act still unacknowledged by the government, is seen by rights activists as both punishment and a blunt tool for holding back dissent.

_71732727_line624.gif

Read more:
Why has Cameroon blocked the internet?

Cameroon's victorious footballers mock minister

_71732727_line624.gif

For an ambitious, tech-savvy though outwardly unpolitical teenager like Nji, whose school was already closed because of the protests, living without the internet was unthinkable.

As it was becoming clear that the outage was more than temporary, Nji received some unexpected news - he had been chosen as one of Google's 34 grand prize winners.

"I was really, really amazed," he says. "It meant my hard work writing a lot of code had really paid off."

But a champion coder without the internet will not stay on top of his game for long. Hence the trip to Yaounde.

"I wanted to get a connection so I could continue studying and keep in touch with Google," says Nji.

_94252173_nji-collins-02.jpg
Image copyrightNJI COLLINS GBAH
In due course, he hopes to finish school back in Bamenda, and then study computer science at a good university.

As part of his prize from Google, Nji will spend four days in June at the tech giant's Silicon Valley headquarters, meeting its top engineers and gaining insight into one of the world's most successful enterprises.

"Hopefully I would like to work there one day, if that is possible," he says.

At the moment, Nji says he is hard at work building his knowledge of artificial intelligence, neural networks and deep learning.

"I'm trying to develop my own model for data compression, using deep learning and machine learning," he says.

His eventual goal is a "huge step" forward in capabilities for data transfer and storage.

_94252269_google.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionNji is looking forward to visiting Google's Silicon Valley HQ in the summer, as part of his prize
In a few days, Nji will turn 18, having already won international recognition for his achievements.

He admits to having gone back through previous years' Code-in prize announcements to double-check he was the first African winner.

When I ask, he says he has received congratulations from "a lot of friends and family and some people I don't really know".

Has anyone from the government been in touch?

"No, no-one," he says.

Back in Bamenda, a city of 500,000 and home to one of the continent's brightest young technologists, they wonder when the government will plug the internet back in.

Google coding champion whose Cameroon hometown is cut off from the internet - BBC News

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Which employers? I strongly disagree with this, any medium-to-high level institution (Government, financial institutions, corporations, academia) will expose your bullshyt in seconds. If you're a sysadmin, you can get away with sloppiness and cover it up with aesthetics, but we expect computer scientists to know what they are doing when it comes to enterprise software, debugging, and engineering.
In your opinion, what separates a system admin from a system engineer?

i work for a messaging systems vendor and i consider myself to be more of a system admin even tho some of my duties and responsibilities and experience are at engineer level. My title says engineer but that dont mean shyt.

Most admins i meet dont do most of the stuff i have but at the same time they have other experience that i do not.

Im sharp on Unix/inux and Solaris, oracle and postgres databases (the sql part as far as DML etc) and decent at shelll scripts. Most of my daily shyt involves troubleshooting application and protocol level shyt like SIP and SMPP and SMTP. I have a lot of experience in storage (NAS) from past projects. Mostly with Netapp equipment, tho.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Starting to get into unity. Pretty fun. On the job side of things, been trying to learn ngrx, which is essentially redux + rxjs applied to angular 2. Taking a while to wrap my head around that.