Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Another question, because I've been out of the Javascript loop for about 3 months now. Is ES6 for Javascript fully supported yet? I'm planning to make the frond end of my current web app in full vanilla javascript and I remember I had to use webpack 1 in order to use ES6 functionality for my last three projects. Is that still how it is today, can I just start writing in ES6 right now out the box?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Another question, because I've been out of the Javascript loop for about 3 months now. Is ES6 for Javascript fully supported yet? I'm planning to make the frond end of my current web app in full vanilla javascript and I remember I had to use webpack 1 in order to use ES6 functionality for my last three projects. Is that still how it is today, can I just start writing in ES6 right now out the box?

A lot of the modern browsers allow you to use ES6 without transpilation, but if you want to support older browsers you will have to use a transpiler using a gulp plugin.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reason why I didnt want to be a developer. Gotta go through years of boring stuff before you can get to an architect level or management and just focus on design and strategy.
what do you do instead? when i finnish this semster i have to start thinking about what i actually want to do cuz i will be half way through then my degree is a mis type degree so i can go either business or it/developer

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
what do you do instead? when i finnish this semster i have to start thinking about what i actually want to do cuz i will be half way through then my degree is a mis type degree so i can go either business or it/developer
Im a BA. I might move into product management though

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Has anyone done anything using the metaprogramming pardigm? I have a project for my Operaing Systems class and my idea seemsl ike it'll need to take advantage of metaprogramming.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Has anyone done anything using the metaprogramming pardigm? I have a project for my Operaing Systems class and my idea seemsl ike it'll need to take advantage of metaprogramming.

I know ruby does it a lot. Not sure how it would transfer over to C. What are you planning on using metaprogramming for?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Finally have gotten around to what I wanted to do, which is spend time learning to make games...

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I know ruby does it a lot. Not sure how it would transfer over to C. What are you planning on using metaprogramming for?
The idea is to simulate biological processes. So ideally I'd write the code to simulate a cell and that code would modify itself if/when that cell undergoes mutation. These are lofty ambitions though and I don't have to actually implement this stuff, but I want to make a trivial example.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The idea is to simulate biological processes. So ideally I'd write the code to simulate a cell and that code would modify itself if/when that cell undergoes mutation. These are lofty ambitions though and I don't have to actually implement this stuff, but I want to make a trivial example.

edit: nvm, I thought it may have been machine learning.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
What IDEs do you guys use? I've been with Eclipse.

I use Eclipse, but from I hear eclipse is trash and you should be using intellij or netbeans:russ:
Started with Eclipse, moved to IntelliJ recently. IntelliJ's refactoring tools are :noah:. I used NetBeans briefly when my Computer Graphics teacher told us we need to. It just looks so shoddy :scust: . If I'm doing C++/C# I use Visual Studio; when JetBrains gets Rider to a good level then I'll probably switch to using it. I used Visual Studio and Eclipse when I did a project in DLang - I recommend using Eclipse with the DDT plugin and not trying to switch back and forth or you'll have some problems. I also did a small stint with MonoDevelop when I started messing with Unity, but Visual Studio is just better.