Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Started with Eclipse, moved to IntelliJ recently. IntelliJ's refactoring tools are :noah:. I used NetBeans briefly when my Computer Graphics teacher told us we need to. It just looks so shoddy :scust: . If I'm doing C++/C# I use Visual Studio; when JetBrains gets Rider to a good level then I'll probably switch to using it. I used Visual Studio and Eclipse when I did a project in DLang - I recommend using Eclipse with the DDT plugin and not trying to switch back and forth or you'll have some problems. I also did a small stint with MonoDevelop when I started messing with Unity, but Visual Studio is just better.

I haven't used NetBeans in ages. You have to admit it, It is pretty beginner friendly. But Yeah for C++, VS >.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I haven't used NetBeans in ages. You have to admit it, It is pretty beginner friendly. But Yeah for C++, VS >.
I can't recall how it is as far as usability. I used it for a total of maybe 10, 12 hours a year ago. One thing that was useful was the ability to add a splash screen to your Java program. I don't think I've seen the menu to do it in Eclipse. My teammate and I may have had a shytty program to present, but we were the only ones with a splash screen :mjgrin:

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Yo anybody know a good resource for learning android studio? I already know the basick of java, so I wanna make an app and get rich before trump ends us all:sadcam:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Webstorm or Rubymine if I'm doing Ruby. Visual Studio 2015 community for C#. Once JetBrains get their C# IDE to where it needs to be, I'll probably switch all the way over.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Anyway to get more introductory programs/Stats apps free or at a way cheaper rate (Python, Stata, etc)?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I think I have programming ADHD. I've been messing around with so many different technologies. Took a look at golang... decided to avoid that for now. Thinking about messing with Scala.

Been having to learn so much stuff for work... webpack, gulp, angular 2, redux, rxjs, etc.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I think I have programming ADHD. I've been messing around with so many different technologies. Took a look at golang... decided to avoid that for now. Thinking about messing with Scala.

Been having to learn so much stuff for work... webpack, gulp, angular 2, redux, rxjs, etc.
I saw that some of the browser functions angular 2 uses haven't been all the way rolled out for all browsers, So i've kind of been afraid of touching that. I'm still on Angular 1, lol.

Sidenote: I forgot how great doing a full stack web development is at getting a good overview of things. I haven't done anything with the different protocol layers since networking in college.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What IDEs do you guys use? I've been with Eclipse.
I use Visual Studio for C# (Which I use for game development and mobile development via Xamarin). Then I use notepad++ and chrome web tools for my web development. I realize I could probably use Visual studio, but I've gotten use to the simplicity of just opening notepad, possibly some command line/terminal, and chrome webtools.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I use Visual Studio for C# (Which I use for game development and mobile development via Xamarin). Then I use notepad++ and chrome web tools for my web development. I realize I could probably use Visual studio, but I've gotten use to the simplicity of just opening notepad, possibly some command line/terminal, and chrome webtools.

Try out VsCode. Free and lightweight like notepad ++ but more fully featured. For quick things, I agree with you. No reason to open up this massive IDE.

Visual Studio Code - Code Editing. Redefined

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I saw that some of the browser functions angular 2 uses haven't been all the way rolled out for all browsers, So i've kind of been afraid of touching that. I'm still on Angular 1, lol.

Sidenote: I forgot how great doing a full stack web development is at getting a good overview of things. I haven't done anything with the different protocol layers since networking in college.

You should definitely take a look into Angular 2, especially with your C# background. The ability to use Typescript as default is huge. Angular CLI is also sweet. Angular 1 felt like a sort of JS/HTML hack, while 2 feels like a proper front-end framework. Angular 2 is a lot better than 1.