Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Word. I just need my application noticed. From there I'll demonstrate. Just want to know what will get noticed.
o ok, got you. I'm not sure what exactly makes an application stand out. But I'm sure any project work you have done that you can speak of on your resume would be helpful.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
okay cool. cause i wanna be working before i graduate.
Man, I'm gonna be jealous if you do. I remember going to a career fair at my school and talking to this guy from AT&T or Verizon, or something. Dude was black and was like excited to tell me about the opportunities for work. He asked me what my GPA was while gathering a bunch of reading material. I told him my GPA and he put the papers back where they were and told me they were looking for someone with above a 3.0, lol.

Good luck tho. That would be dope if you could pull that off

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I feel like rails is the best starting point for backend development. Best tutorials that also teach you stuff like git, testing, etc.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyone here have experience with Electron? Electron It seems interesting and I might use it to get to learn JavaScript and a few of the popular frameworks in use today.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Anyone have any links to side projects they have been working on?

I have so many stupid little ideas that I have tried to implement over the past year. I feel like this has really helped me progress as a developer.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Market seems saturated but good luck, you can make a killing just getting non refundable deposits :lolbron:
im still in college so will be mostly for fun and something to put in my portfolio currently ave 0 in it will be open source as well. my programming skills suck but think i should be able to do it

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
im still in college so will be mostly for fun and something to put in my portfolio currently ave 0 in it will be open source as well. my programming skills suck but think i should be able to do it

Go for it. More you do now better you will he at graduation. One thing I wish i had was some mentor ship of someone in the industry during college because professors tend to be far removed from how things really are. Join NSBE too. If you build a portfolio and get some internships you will EAT good fairly quickly and will be able to bypass being underpaid your first gig.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Anybody know of any good references to machine learning, one that doesn't use any language?

Most courses I see are with Python/R, but I just want the concepts/algorithms behind it. If it's math-based that's more in-line with what I'm looking for, especially if it explains it from the ground up.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yea programming is something you have to really like, especially since you are going to have to spend a lot of time outside work.