Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I have this programmer interview with a healthcare provider on tuesday, any advice? there is a gap in my resume for about a month (I left my last job a week before christmas)and i have about half the experience they require.
Half the experience as half the years or half the experience as in you only know half of what the terms on the job description?

One thing I think is you should speak on your experiences with whatever the technology they'll have you using.
I'd also ask some questions to get a better idea of what you'll be doing. (Is there a particular project you'll be on, Is there a lot of group work or will you be developing by yourself, etc...)

I'm sure others on here have some good points too. I luckily havent had an interview in years.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Can we get a list of who is currently working in the industry and what languages they use. It might be helpful so ppl can reach out to us w/ questions.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Technologies I've worked with:
Qlikview
C# (game development)
Javascript
Currently learning AngularJS and EmberJS (and looking into how to work with ExpressjS)​
Learning AWS
DynamoDB
Running EC2 instances
Lambda
Gateway API​
And extraction of data from multiple datanbases (so pretty basic query language stuff)
Haven't touched C++ or Java in years, so I left them off the list above, but they were my humble beginnings, lol.

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
Brehs, anybody well versed in PHP and MySQL. I have this assignment that I need some assistance on. If anybody replies I will post my code and explain further.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs, what is the value of a Java certification? Will that really get your foot in the door or would a computer science degree be the only way to get it?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Brehs, what is the value of a Java certification? Will that really get your foot in the door or would a computer science degree be the only way to get it?
If you're talking about entry level, it wouldn't hurt. I don't know what is on a Java certification exam though, whereas I'd expect a computer science degree from a decent college to have put you through a good foundation. Maybe even any 2 or 4 year program. If you have any project experience, personal, or for school, or for work even, that would be very helpful, cause in the interview, they're going to ask you situational programming/engineering questions. Just a few I've seen.

"Show me how you'd design a student registration db"
"Can you do this in _____ language?" WIth a random snippet
"Demonstrate how you would program _______"
"How does the internet work?" (I think this one I got mainly cause I have a computer engineering degree. So just be ready)

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you're talking about entry level, it wouldn't hurt. I don't know what is on a Java certification exam though, whereas I'd expect a computer science degree from a decent college to have put you through a good foundation. Maybe even any 2 or 4 year program. If you have any project experience, personal, or for school, or for work even, that would be very helpful, cause in the interview, they're going to ask you situational programming/engineering questions. Just a few I've seen.

"Show me how you'd design a student registration db"
"Can you do this in _____ language?" WIth a random snippet
"Demonstrate how you would program _______"
"How does the internet work?" (I think this one I got mainly cause I have a computer engineering degree. So just be ready)
Word. I just need my application noticed. From there I'll demonstrate. Just want to know what will get noticed.

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
I just started on my courses in school, starting out with Java.
Does anyone have any resources to help improve understanding and implementation of psuedocode?

Roadside

Pro
Daps
At work I mostly do backend PHP/MySQL with the Laravel/Lumen framework but I also do a good bit of frontend React/Javascript when needed. We are fully on microservices using AWS, so I know how EC2/ELB/ASG/Elasticache stuff all works together but we've built this CI platform on top which allows us to deploy services using code which abstracts some stuff so I don't know some of the intricacies about doing it from scratch.