Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Noni

Rookie
Daps
From my 2 seconds of experience in developing games, I think out of the web dev languages, javascript would probably be the more translatable to being a programmer in gaming. The drawing and 3d modeling are definitely useful, and the overall understanding of laying out screens and designing screens are also useful. There's so many different parts to a game development team though, so don't feel like you have to be some expert programmer to contribute.

See, the people counseling me are advising against it because I'm terrible at math. But I was thinking the same thing: If I'm on a team, which is like a 95% possibility, why would I be expected to be a 1 man team all wrapped up in one? It's not realistic, and there's not a whole lot of people who have the skills to program games as it is.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Something I've learned is that it's just important to make stuff. It can be real easy to get caught up in the 'new language' rabbithole where you are always experimenting with new languages, but you never master the environment in one language. I wish I had more time to learn something like C#, but I think I'm going to double down on Javascript for now and work on really mastering full stack development.

The front end world alone has enough stuff in it that would take years to master.

Daps
Reppin
MD/NY
Something I've learned is that it's just important to make stuff. It can be real easy to get caught up in the 'new language' rabbithole where you are always experimenting with new languages, but you never master the environment in one language. I wish I had more time to learn something like C#, but I think I'm going to double down on Javascript for now and work on really mastering full stack development.

The front end world alone has enough stuff in it that would take years to master.
Word and something that needs to be stressed out more is studying the overall concepts such as OOP over focusing on specific syntax languages. I was stubborn my first couple years in college but in my latter years of college it finally clicked in.

Noni

Rookie
Daps
Word and something that needs to be stressed out more is studying the overall concepts such as OOP over focusing on specific syntax languages. I was stubborn my first couple years in college but in my latter years of college it finally clicked in.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your major, and what job do you plan to go for when you graduate?

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
What do you all think of Coding Bootcamps?

I have literally 0 experience or knowledge in programming, and reading through this thread I'm like :wtf:/:mindblown:

But I believe this is something I want to get into. I have a BS in International Relations and a MS in Criminal Justice (:mjpls:) so my education credentials don't match this field at all. I'm thinking a bootcamp will at least allow me to get my foot in the door somehow. Thoughts?

As for career goals, I've always been interested in building games, but I would also like developing or creating software for law enforcement (:mjpls:)

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
What do you all think of Coding Bootcamps?

I have literally 0 experience or knowledge in programming, and reading through this thread I'm like :wtf:/:mindblown:

But I believe this is something I want to get into. I have a BS in International Relations and a MS in Criminal Justice (:mjpls:) so my education credentials don't match this field at all. I'm thinking a bootcamp will at least allow me to get my foot in the door somehow. Thoughts?

As for career goals, I've always been interested in building games, but I would also like developing or creating software for law enforcement (:mjpls:)
I have my b.s in software engineering.If you have time go your alma mater audit a cs101 course (my uni does this free) or find an intro course online.
what are you reading by the way and what language?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Coding bootcamps CAN get you a job in the field, but before you drop 10k on them, run through some of the free coding materials to see how much you like coding. Try freecodecamp.com and codecademy.com first.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This is probably the best thing. Learning data structures, primitives, methods, algorithms... The fact that I learned all that makes it easier for me to jump into new languages and libraries (especially javascript libraries) and code on the fly (basically notepadd++/sublime text and google search, lol). On my first go through, things get messy and code isn't sometimes where its supposed to be, but it helps me figure out how things work, while being able to connect it to the already laid foundation. Then my 2nd and 3rd iterations of coding, I can actually go through the design process and know what I'm doing.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Coding bootcamps CAN get you a job in the field, but before you drop 10k on them, run through some of the free coding materials to see how much you like coding. Try freecodecamp.com and codecademy.com first.
What do coding bootcamps teach? Just how to program in a language or do they hook you up with conceptual understanding?

Daps
Reppin
MD/NY
If you don't mind me asking, what is your major, and what job do you plan to go for when you graduate?
Don't mind at all, I started my major in software engineering but switched to Information Technology after my first semester. Been working as a web developer for 3 years now while in college but once I graduate I'm looking towards being either a full stack developer (though I'll probably market myself as a front end since I don't have enough job experience with back end programming) or a mobile app developer.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What do coding bootcamps teach? Just how to program in a language or do they hook you up with conceptual understanding?
Im guessing the fundamentals of programming and then they make an app. There is ony so much you can teach in three months to half a year though.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
I have this programmer interview with a healthcare provider on tuesday, any advice? there is a gap in my resume for about a month (I left my last job a week before christmas)and i have about half the experience they require.