Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Noni

Rookie
Daps
Oooh I was looking for a thread like this! I might make one eventually specifically about video game programming. But since I lack the privileges to post it yet I'll try to ask here. How much math do you need to know to program video/computer games?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Oooh I was looking for a thread like this! I might make one eventually specifically about video game programming. But since I lack the privileges to post it yet I'll try to ask here. How much math do you need to know to program video/computer games?
Linear algebra and some Calculus will help, but it's not all that necessary. I've only used Calc once when I was making a mini map system. I had to convert from world coordinates to map coordinates.

Noni

Rookie
Daps
Linear algebra and some Calculus will help, but it's not all that necessary. I've only used Calc once when I was making a mini map system. I had to convert from world coordinates to map coordinates.

I'm pretty terrible at math, although I could probably do scripts. My career assessments point to video game programming, and I live in a state where there's a lot of schools that offer degrees for it. I'm not sure what I should do. I can draw my butt off and come with conceptual (writing, things like that). I'm also learning Css and html so I'm not sure if that would help in the long term. But I'd love to make a black owned video game team, and I was a part of one in high school.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm pretty terrible at math, although I could probably do scripts. My career assessments point to video game programming, and I live in a state where there's a lot of schools that offer degrees for it. I'm not sure what I should do. I can draw my butt off and come with conceptual (writing, things like that). I'm also learning Css and html so I'm not sure if that would help in the long term. But I'd love to make a black owned video game team, and I was a part of one in high school.
Don't let being bad at math scare you. It's mostly a matter of practice. If you really want to get into the industry then don't let the small stuff deter you. HTML and CSS won't necessarily help you with gaming but they're still worth getting a handle on. There's a thread floating around about video game software, you should check it out.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Finally stickied!

Progress with Haskell going fine so far. I'm practically done learning the foundational parts of the language, along with some advanced concepts: Monoids, Functors, Applicatives, Monads, IO, laziness, transformers, etc.

Building a JSON API with it right now.

I can see why a lot of people avoid this language, a lot of concepts that must be learned before building something. Then getting the code correct is abstraction of trickiness. The time it took me to get to this point, I could've had at least another nice project done for my portfolio in some of the newer languages like Golang and Elixir with a React front end.

Last edited:

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Finally stickied!

Progress with Haskell going fine so far. I'm practically done learning the foundational parts of the language, along with some advanced concepts: Monoids, Functors, Applicatives, Monads, IO, laziness, transformers, etc.

Building a JSON API with it right now.

I can see why a lot of people avoid this language, a lot of concepts that must be learned before building something. Then getting the code correct is abstraction of trickiness. The time it took me to get to this point, I could've had at least another nice project done for my portfolio in some of the newer languages like Golang and Elixir with a React front end.
I dunno I am doing an Elixir/Phoenix/React project right now (first time with all of these languages and frameworks) it took a few days to set up, and was hard as fukk to learn all three to build an app.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I dunno I am doing an Elixir/Phoenix/React project right now (first time with all of these languages and frameworks) it took a few days to set up, and was hard as fukk to learn all three to build an app.

I need to clarify that I didn't mean from scratch. It'll take longer to learn Golang and Elixir and build a project vs learning where I up to where I currently am in Haskell (language understood but working on project). I meant from where I was at in both Golang and Elixir I could have already had an app complete in either if I started one rather than start learning Haskell.

More specifically, I was at the point where I could implement standard mvc, JSON Web Tokens and 3-legged Oauth2 with both Golang and Elixir/Phoenix and also websockets with Phoenix when I decided to start learning Haskell. In that time (because I already am familiar with both languages) I probably could have got a real nice project done vs learning a new language, especially Haskell.

No way am I implying that in the time it took me to get to where I am right now in Haskell that it'd take the same time to learn Golang or Elixir/Phoenix and build a project with it.

Speaking of Elixir/Phoenix/React, that Trello clone project really accelerated the learning process.

Last edited:

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
I need to clarify that I didn't mean from scratch. It'll take longer to learn Golang and Elixir and build a project vs learning where I up to where I currently am in Haskell (language understood but working on project). I meant from where I was at in both Golang and Elixir I could have already had an app complete in either if I started one rather than start learning Haskell.

More specifically, I was at the point where I could implement standard mvc, JSON Web Tokens and 3-legged Oauth2 with both Golang and Elixir/Phoenix and also websockets with Phoenix when I decided to start learning Haskell. In that time (because I already am familiar with both languages) I probably could have got a real nice project done vs learning a new language, especially Haskell.

No way am I implying that in the time it took me to get to where I am right now in Haskell that it'd take the same time to learn Golang or Elixir/Phoenix and build a project with it.

Speaking of Elixir/Phoenix/React, that Trello clone project really accelerated the learning process.
I saw that Trello Clone project, I might run through that soon. Why did you stop with Elixir/Phoenix, I think that is going to the be future of Web Dev, at least it will replace the Ruby/Rails community.

Right now at work we are using Ruby/Rails for 2 projects, but all greenfield projects we are using elixir/phoenix/react. It has been a crazy learning curve but at least I will be at the forefront of web dev and not stuck in 2010 with Ruby/Rails

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I saw that Trello Clone project, I might run through that soon. Why did you stop with Elixir/Phoenix, I think that is going to the be future of Web Dev, at least it will replace the Ruby/Rails community.

Right now at work we are using Ruby/Rails for 2 projects, but all greenfield projects we are using elixir/phoenix/react. It has been a crazy learning curve but at least I will be at the forefront of web dev and not stuck in 2010 with Ruby/Rails

I definitely think it'll be the future of web development, I actually think Golang/Elixir/Node will be what that world looks like in the near future. Possibly Elixir being the main guy on the block.

I personally wanted to learn functional programming and what all the type inference, lazy evaluation and monad stuff was about with Haskell. I personally love it, but I don't see it catching on because it's not as practical as other languages and those other languages (like Elixir) have adopted plenty of functional programming paradigms. Make no mistake it can pull off nearly everything other languages can, but there's a lot more decision making and thoughtfulness that has to be done when declaring data types and implementing their type classes that not many people will be/are accepting of. Especially when real money is involved and time is of the essence. I find it's satisfying to code, but it'll be something I see myself spending maybe a 1:2 ratio between using it and Golang for similar tasks.

Last edited:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
From my 2 seconds of experience in developing games, I think out of the web dev languages, javascript would probably be the more translatable to being a programmer in gaming. The drawing and 3d modeling are definitely useful, and the overall understanding of laying out screens and designing screens are also useful. There's so many different parts to a game development team though, so don't feel like you have to be some expert programmer to contribute.