Soccer = Skill and Technique (USA Needs to Understand This)

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
if the US kids took as much time as they do when practicing other sports......

do people really think they wouldnt be a "force" in the soccer world

when it comes to sports,apart from the favela's in south american countries the US are probably the most dedicated as a youth

this is why i hope this world cup encourages them to take up this sport,

BLAZO da GAWD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW ERA
Its a fairly simple sport to follow. By watching 10 minutes of US Belgium you could tell the talent differential was enormous. The best athlete on the US team was the goalie, that's a problem.
You mention talent, then talk about "the best athlete" shyt again. The talent disparity was the skill and technical ability of the two teams. Team USA only have one player (Dempsey) who can challenge people and dribble. The Belgians have about 8 on the starting XI alone.

The disparity was in technical ability and skill. No amount of athleticism would've made up for the Americans being demolished on the field today.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
You mention talent, then talk about "the best athlete" shyt again. The talent disparity was the skill and technical ability of the two teams. Team USA only have one player (Dempsey) who can challenge people and dribble. The Belgians have about 8 on the starting XI alone.

The disparity was in technical ability and skill. No amount of athleticism would've made up for the Americans being demolished on the field today.
:snoop: This nikka really didn't read the thread. He probably read one or two posts, assumed what the thread was about and started talking recklessly. It was already stated that we need great athletes with elite training like the Belgium players get.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Talent and ability. It's that simple. Everyone does it differently. Belgium likes both. Brazil likes both. Just get them in and decide from there.

Its not that simple, I could make the argument that Algeria was one of the most athletic teams, but they were beaten by a more SKILLED team in Germany. Spain dominated the 2000's and the first half of the 2010's due to superior skill none of those guys are amazing athletes like that.

Its not Talent and Ability, those are damn near synonymous. Its more Skill and Endurance, both of which can be trained but every now and then you get some one with god given talent (Messi) or athleticism (Balotelli) or both (Ronaldo)

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
We just saw Belgium's superior athletes absolutely dismantle our defense though.

Why are y'all so adamant about this 'skill makes up 99.9999999999% of the game' shyt? :what:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Africans are skillful as fukk :wow:
Skilled as fukk is more of what I see but when comes to positioning, making smart and winning plays, understanding tactics, they seem to fall short often. Best when you have like two or three on a team with players from all over the world especially Europe.

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL

Not disagreeing but personally it looked to me the US team had average athletes and below average skill. We're too p*ssy about soccer too. The snobs in this country cant take criticism....when in actuality the soccer has not gotten any better since 1994. Klinnsman is a start though imo. He had the right idea saying we had no chance.

We're reading article after article about how we showed heart and how we played hard. fukk that.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Its not that simple, I could make the argument that Algeria was one of the most athletic teams, but they were beaten by a more SKILLED team in Germany. Spain dominated the 2000's and the first half of the 2010's due to superior skill none of those guys are amazing athletes like that.

Its not Talent and Ability, those are damn near synonymous. Its more Skill and Endurance, both of which can be trained but every now and then you get some one with god given talent (Messi) or athleticism (Balotelli) or both (Ronaldo)
Agreed but we will never know if those talents don't play the sport which is a main point of this damn thread.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
You keep pushing this dumb ass hockey narrative....no one thinks Lebron could pick up hockey (or any other sport he's never mastered) tomorrow and dominate at the highest level.

The point is a great athlete is a great athlete, if our great athletes took up soccer, we'd dominate. It's not even about Lebron specifically, it's about our world class athletes. We'd dominate any real sport (not leisure activities like golf) that was taken seriously, especially sports like soccer where athleticism gives one a clear advantage.

:snoop:

fundamentals and technical skill are what separate the elite from the rest in soccer.... not being the biggest,fastest,jumping the highest or the strongest.

it's like you don't get that being a "great athlete" is not some universal thing that ensures greatness in other sports.... or that being bigger,stronger and faster= i'm better than you in every other sport

us Americans are fukking stupid when it comes to shyt like this, and that's why Asians ate our fukking food for years in the little league world series.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Skilled as fukk is more of what I see but when comes to positioning, making smart and winning plays, understanding tactics, they seem to fall short often. Best when you have like two or three on a team with players from all over the world especially Europe.

No doubt but you need to be clear on what you mean by technique. I thought you meant tech on the ball

Daps
No one said that. What has been perpetuated by the posters that actually know the sport is that elite athleticism does not guarantee success. Again, if that were the case, the African nations would dominate, but they don't. @Liu Kang even gave you a great example in another thread about Barcelona's complete dismantling of Real Madrid in 2011, but you chose to ignore it in favor of this "Russell Westbrook would dominate" rhetoric. Elite athleticism can be neutralized tactically and with skill. That's why people that know the sport attribute the skill and technical ability the most important factors. Xavi, Pirlo, Iniesta, etc. are not the fastest, strongest, or tallest, but no amount of athletic skill of another player would be able to take the ball away from them.

I still don't get how people who only watch the sport every four years and never have played competitively are telling people with experience on what would win and what wouldn't. I just don't fukking get it. :mindblown:

In what sport does this guarantee success?

That's the most insulting thing about this. nikkas acting like soccer is some rubik's cube our elite athletes couldn't handle. Surely they'd have to learn to play the game.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
No doubt but you need to be clear on what you mean by technique. I thought you meant tech on the ball
That's skilled. If skill and technique are going to be mean the same thing in this convo on this site, we should avoid using the term and specify what we are talking about.