So you buy an M.2 SSD device that meets standard but there is no guarantee it will work

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I'm not sure if people understand how extremely easy this actually is.

If anything I would just wait for other people to iron out what drives work well.

As far as the heat sink and install? No exaggeration this is literally as simple as putting batteries in your kids remote control car.

Also, people are using the word heatsink like it's some big scary tech jargon that complicates the install. As long as the profile fits it just lays on top and the same screws hold it in that hold the drive in. It's really all extremely simple.

It's not as simple as MS 'here's a little memory card you can slot in' style, but certainly not in the realm of difficult.

Once manufacturers slap PS5 ready labels on the drives it will be as simple as, pop plates off, slide in, two screws, plates on, done. It's about as easy as it could possibly be without going full proprietary tbh. 2 extra steps that take a combined 20 seconds is whatever to me, especially when the trade off is I can use drives from multiple manufacturers.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
For the last two generations gamers have praised Sony for not using perpriatary memory solutions on their consoles, why is it different now?

Installing an ssd in a ps5 looks no harder than installing a harddrive in the ps4 and ps3. Yall literally complaining about nothing.

The added heatsink factor is the only difference and it ironically got the bots heated. :sas1:

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm reading some folks are going sith Samsung. What's a good ssd from Samsung?
I haven't noticed the Samsung ones coming with heat sinks so you'll likely have to buy your own if you go that route. The WD Black one seems like the best option that comes with the heat sink sold out everywhere recently.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm not sure if people understand how extremely easy this actually is.

If anything I would just wait for other people to iron out what drives work well.

As far as the heat sink and install? No exaggeration this is literally as simple as putting batteries in your kids remote control car.

Also, people are using the word heatsink like it's some big scary tech jargon that complicates the install. As long as the profile fits it just lays on top and the same screws hold it in that hold the drive in. It's really all extremely simple.

It's not as simple as MS 'here's a little memory card you can slot in' style, but certainly not in the realm of difficult.

Once manufacturers slap PS5 ready labels on the drives it will be as simple as, pop plates off, slide in, two screws, plates on, done. It's about as easy as it could possibly be without going full proprietary tbh. 2 extra steps that take a combined 20 seconds is whatever to me, especially when the trade off is I can use drives from multiple manufacturers.
This isn't that simple. 6:15 into the video heat sinks are discussed and how they can actually degrade performance. There's also the issue of some random applying a thermal pad. Then there's the issue of 2+ TB drives being double sided so covering both sides.

This isn't just the PS3 or PS4 where you buy damn near any off the shelf drive that fits and just slap it in there and that's it.

I build my own computers so for me personally it's not an issue but for regular people who don't there's far too many variables and options.

Mass market products need standardization. The PS3 and PS4 were way better at this which is why nobody complained. If you're going to have narrow requirements then people should only be able to use specific drives Sony approves. The console should reject any other drive and Sony needs to partner with companies for official drives.

There's a reason the iPhone is so popular. It's because it's completely standardized. People don't have to think or analyze anything they just know their model and if it's listed as compatible that's that.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
The idea of buying a drive for a system that cost damn near more than the system itself is kind of crazy.
The consoles are cheaper than they should be given the performance. But y’all ain’t wanna hear that. Everyone wants all the bells and whistles with flawless 4K 60fps gaming but only wanna pay the price of a barely mid tier GPU for the entire system.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The proprietary vs open argument doesn’t apply here because it’s such a specialized/specific part. There will be few cards on the market that will actually be ideal so the shyt might as well be proprietary at this point or at least Sony should have worked with someone to make an “official” drive.

As it stands shyts like the Wild West. Even Sony said you are on your own if the shyt don’t work right.

as far as prices go there’s still a shortage in these cards right now. So when it does come time to buy you will be competing with a larger market. Scalpers gone eat when Sony officially says what card to buy.

Long term things will calm down and this might end up being the better solution but short term it’s all fukkery:francis:

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The proprietary vs open argument doesn’t apply here because it’s such a specialized/specific part. There will be few cards on the market that will actually be ideal so the shyt might as well be proprietary at this point or at least Sony should have worked with someone to make an “official” drive.

As it stands shyts like the Wild West. Even Sony said you are on your own if the shyt don’t work right.

as far as prices go there’s still a shortage in these cards right now. So when it does come time to buy you will be competing with a larger market. Scalpers gone eat when Sony officially says what card to buy.

Long term things will calm down and this might end up being the better solution but short term it’s all fukkery:francis:
All I'm saying is Sony needs an official solution where they can say this works use nothing else. It being proprietary is irrelevant. If you can put it in another device and use it so be it and if you can't so be it. To have all these variables involved in open market products that aren't standardized is madness.

In my PC it's standardized to the point I can buy a drive and plug it in and it'll work. Maybe it's slower than the next drive but it will still work. For Sony to guarantee a certain level of performance they need the drive to meet certain standards and if they're going to have all these requirements then they need to narrow down the useable options to simplify things.

People trying to argue this is like the PS3/4 situation are full of it.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All I'm saying is Sony needs an official solution where they can say this works use nothing else. It being proprietary is irrelevant. If you can put it in another device and use it so be it and if you can't so be it. To have all these variables involved in open market products that aren't standardized is madness.

In my PC it's standardized to the point I can buy a drive and plug it in and it'll work. Maybe it's slower than the next drive but it will still work. For Sony to guarantee a certain level of performance they need the drive to meet certain standards and if they're going to have all these requirements then they need to narrow down the useable options to simplify things.

People trying to argue this is like the PS3/4 situation are full of it.
Attaboy!
anigif_sub-buzz-21694-1510345302-5.gif

Jesus fukking christ.

It's almost like this software update is in beta or something.

You guys get off with this faux pro-consumer warrior fighting the good fight. shyt isn't even that serious.

Had they released some expensive proprietary storage device while boasting about an internal NMVE drive you fear mongering nikkas would've been talking about how anti-consumer Sony is for doing so and how the Vita failed because of that or how expensive it is.

:francis:

nikkas resorted to making the same whatboutism arguments they lambasted Sony stans for making back in 2013 with submarine jokes. Amazing lol.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Attaboy!
anigif_sub-buzz-21694-1510345302-5.gif

Jesus fukking christ.

It's almost like this software update is in beta or something.

You guys get off with this faux pro-consumer warrior fighting the good fight. shyt isn't even that serious.

Had they released some expensive proprietary storage device while boasting about an internal NMVE drive you fear mongering nikkas would've been talking about how anti-consumer Sony is for doing so and how the Vita failed because of that or how expensive it is.

:francis:

nikkas resorted to making the same whatboutism arguments they lambasted Sony stans for making back in 2013 with submarine jokes. Amazing lol.

but but what about the grannies who are gonna buy 400 dollar ssd’s for Christmas? How will they install them?:damn:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
but but what about the grannies who are gonna buy 400 dollar ssd’s for Christmas? How will they install them?:damn:
It's like in the midst of all their dumbass talking points, they don't realize how they're contradicting themselves.

They're calling the average joe blow dumb who won't bother with upgrading it as per @iceberg_is_on_fire

but in the same breath this joe blow will suddenly go to the store, buy some off the shelf, slow NVME drive without a heatsink, go install it and manage to burn their PS5 to a crisp due to their ignorance.

Don't forget that this whole thing is in beta but Joe Blow is signed up to receive beta access to system software somehow.

They'd rather have an inferior solution just because they're concerned about someone out there messing up their PS5 or being inconvenienced.

Sounds a lot like the "b-b-but what about the submarine players? :lupe:" shyt they love to throw around to mock the sony stans in 2013 arguing against online 24/7.

I swear I lose brain cells reading the ignorance being spewed on this forum at times :mindblown: