So you buy an M.2 SSD device that meets standard but there is no guarantee it will work

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
The added heatsink factor is the only difference and it ironically got the bots heated. :sas1:
And the only reason the heatsink would become a factor is if you're trying to install an ssd that meets all requirements but wasn't manufactured with the ps5 in mind.

By the time this shyt is out of beta, there will be plenty with the hintsink pre-installed on the ssd with clear ps5 compatibility logos on the packaging.

Let these nikkas tell it, Sony wants you to grab some copper wick and flux to solder this shyt directly onto the motherboard. Like someone else said, this is the same level of difficulty as changing the batteries in a kids toy.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Had they released some expensive proprietary storage device while boasting about an internal NMVE drive you fear mongering nikkas would've been talking about how anti-consumer Sony is for doing so and how the Vita failed because of that or how expensive it is.

How much you think it would have cost them to shrink these brand new drives down to a small ass memory card?

We'd be paying triple the price if they went perporietary.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
How much you think it would have cost them to shrink these brand new drives down to a small ass memory card?

We'd be paying triple the price if they went perporietary.
Xbox drive isn’t triple the price. It’s actually cheaper at this point.

You will pay a premium for the cards made specifically for PS5 as you mentioned above, just as you would a proprietary card.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI

You will pay a premium for the cards made specifically for PS5 as you mentioned above, just as you would a proprietary card.
The Xbox drive isn't as fast as the ps5, the cost would be much higher if they used the same type of ssd shrunk down to a memory card.

You don't have to use a drive specifically made for the ps5, if you don't want to pay a premium you can always buy one that meets the specs. Same as how they sell switch sd cards at a premium but most sd cards will work if they meet specs.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The Xbox drive isn't as fast as the ps5, the cost would be much higher if they used the same type of ssd shrunk down to a memory card.
Nope. Price isn’t effected that much by speed differences. We can see that already on the cards out. They are both the same technology at a comparable speed. Price difference would be negligible.

You don't have to use a drive specifically made for the ps5, if you don't want to pay a premium you can always buy one that meets the specs. Same as how they sell switch sd cards at a premium but most sd cards will work if they meet specs.
Well then comes all the fukkery of exactly what card to get and how will it perform and/or fit in the machine.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

These drives are almost 3x faster than what the Xbox is using and cost in the same ballpark. It's even cheaper for a more advanced user (the most likely type to expand anyway).

There are no drives made specifically for the PS5.

Nope. Price isn’t effected that much by speed differences. We can see that already on the cards out. They are both the same technology at a comparable speed. Price difference would be negligible.

Well then comes all the fukkery of exactly what card to get and how will it perform and/or fit in the machine.
Yes they are. The technology used here is brand new. The speeds are not comparable at all. It's 2.5GB/s vs. 7GB/s.

There is no fukkery. This is just fanboys making a mountain out of a molehill.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
These drives are almost 3x faster than what the Xbox is using and cost in the same ballpark. It's even cheaper for a more advanced user (the most likely type to expand anyway).
Any speed above the Sony internal drive is waisted. Meaning money wasted on speed you can’t use.

There are no drives made specifically for the PS5.
There should be :ehh:

Yes they are. The technology used here is brand new. The speeds are not comparable at all. It's 2.5GB/s vs. 7GB/s.
In practice they are. We already have performance to analyze.

There is no fukkery. This is just fanboys making a mountain out of a molehill.
There’s plenty of fukkery. That’s why Sony came out front and said you are on your own if the shyt don’t work right.

In reality it’s not a huge deal the people that want to upgrade will probably be fine.

But y’all need to stop pretending everything Sony does is perfect. They are clearly scrambling to even get this to work and they currently don’t have a for sure solution.

Having a proprietary are at least official drive would have been much better than what going on currently.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Any speed above the Sony internal drive is waisted. Meaning money wasted on speed you can’t use.

There’s plenty of fukkery. That’s why Sony came out front and said you are on your own if the shyt don’t work right.

In reality it’s not a huge deal the people that want to upgrade will probably be fine.

But y’all need to stop pretending everything Sony does is perfect. They are clearly scrambling to even get this to work and they currently don’t have a for sure solution.

Having a proprietary are at least official drive would have been much better than what going on currently.

That's what these fanboys don't understand. It is no point in buying an SSD faster than the PS5 stock because it won't be used as it should. Complete waste of money

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI

These drives are brand new, there would definitely be a price difference.

The series x memory cards are twice as expensive as standard nvme m.2 drives with similar specs. That's because they are perporietary.

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit

The series x memory cards are twice as expensive as standard nvme m.2 drives with similar specs. That's because they are perporietary.
Yep. The series is using a CFexpress slot too, but only accepts MS' proprietary cards. That's the downside. They're paying much more for slower, older technology. And asking for more proprietary solutions. I don't understand this flip where open support is now bad.

A 980 + a warship pro is already cheaper than the MS card and it's significantly faster.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The chips themselves are what cost and those don’t shrink down.

Prices are high cause it’s new tech period.

Yes a proprietary drive would be a bit more expensive. But the same holds true for whatever drive ends up being the official branded one.

You save money by being on your own according to Sony.

No they aren’t. Raw speed is only one factor. And even then comparable cards are still around $200

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They're paying much more for slower, older technology.
Again this point is moot as we are talking about closed box systems that can only use as much speed as their internals are balanced for.

And we already have a host of data showing the real life in practice speed differences are negligible.

That’s kinda the advantage of a proprietary solution. It can be developed and balanced specifically for most efficient performance.

On PS5 you have to buy faster drives to make up for that.

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit

This argument still doesn't help your case because 5.5GB/s is still more than twice as fast as the MS solution. That you're getting something objectively faster for the same price or cheaper highlights the failure of going with a proprietary solution.

Now you're pretending to not understand how a disclaimer works - the same disclaimers they put on everything. And the same ones you guys concern trolled about wrt B/C and PSN name changes. You're not even interested in being honest here, are you?

"scrambling"

:mjlol:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Voice of reason here.

Here's arguments we've heard here before.

"The Xbox name is confusing, series x, one x, one? Your can't expect a non gaming parent to know the difference"

Ok, valid point, I'm sure it happened in a few cases in previous gens but not likely this gen because of how hard it is to find one period :francis:

I also remember Sony heads during the PS3 era making a big deal about Xbox heads having to remove 4 screws to swap HDD's but hypocrisy doesn't exist here so I'll keep it moving...

It's not a good idea to expect parents (listen you narcissist this isn't just about you) who are the majority, would expect or want their child to open up this rare expensive highly sought after piece of technology at all, let alone to install a storage drive for likely their first time in their lives.

I understand you tech heads on this website, grown ass men, feel like you can do it no problem. But is it fair to expect all that? If you have kids would you want them doing all that :usure: Remember, you paid 600+ for all that.

I bet your kids can't even touch your system, mainly for the reasons I'm glossing over :sas2:

Sony heads acting like reliable chips will be cheaper next year when shortages are expected until 2023, and they assume Xbox cards won't get cheaper? I can go get a card today that works, can you guys:sas1: