So you buy an M.2 SSD device that meets standard but there is no guarantee it will work

Superkick Party

Atlus / Ryū ga Gotoku
Daps
Reppin
Hub City
trying to get your moneys worth on gamepass

tenor.gif
This was deadass me looking for shyt on pc gamepass :mjcry:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What are you going to do with that proprietary storage when Xbox goes out of business?

At least you can reuse an nvme drive
Let’s see Microsoft’s CEO says they’re all in on gaming and just authorized an almost $8 billion purchase in the space. Who should we believe about Microsoft’s prospects in the gaming space Nadella or some random poster online with feelings about the company?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Let’s see Microsoft’s CEO says they’re all in on gaming and just authorized an almost $8 billion purchase in the space. Who should we believe about Microsoft’s prospects in the gaming space Nadella or some random poster online with feelings about the company?
This is why I never take y’all seriously. You just w]eat up whatever bullshyt they say and treat it like it’s gospel. Y’all remind me of Elon musk fans talking about building highways under LA and intercontinental super trains

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is why I never take y’all seriously. You just w]eat up whatever bullshyt they say and treat it like it’s gospel. Y’all remind me of Elon musk fans talking about building highways under LA and intercontinental super trains
If you bout to exit the gaming space as Microsoft once considered you don’t go out and buy ZeniMax or Mojang for billions. They’ve clearly showed they intend to remain in gaming. I guess somebody online’s wishful thinking that they go away should matter more than what’s actually going on. They’re doing the best they ever have in the space.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If you bout to exit the gaming space as Microsoft once considered you don’t go out and buy ZeniMax or Mojang for billions. They’ve clearly showed they intend to remain in gaming. I guess somebody online’s wishful thinking that they go away should matter more than what’s actually going on. They’re doing the best they ever have in the space.

I would never want microsoft to leave gaming, you just gotta understand they will always be the little bro

sony and nintendo having gaming to themselves is a nightmare scenario

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I would never want microsoft to leave gaming, you just gotta understand they will always be the little bro

sony and nintendo having gaming to themselves is a nightmare scenario
Microsoft was about a billion away from passing Nintendo as an entire company in 2020 revenue in gaming so not really.

They are about 10 billion behind Sony however. I wouldn’t expect them to pass Sony in the current landscape. If the industry shifts as they believe it will to a more subscription based model then that’s a different story.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Microsoft was about a billion away from passing Nintendo as an entire company in 2020 revenue in gaming so not really.

They are about 10 billion behind Sony however. I wouldn’t expect them to pass Sony in the current landscape. If the industry shifts as they believe it will to a more subscription based model then that’s a different story.

I mean thats just revenue, nintendo is making actual profits from nintendo, same with sony, even though sonys margins are way higher.

You can keep referencing Microsoft as an entity but when i talk about microsoft im referring specifically to their gaming division which is a 3rd placer and thats where it will likely stay for the unforeseeable future.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's not about that. Tell the average consumer to open their console up and watch the average consumer go

tenor.gif

Like, y'all are really underestimating the demand of plug n play preferences of the average consumer. Most people don't even open their pc to clean the dust in it, lol. Like I said, it's easy for us but to the average person, they unwittingly treat this shyt like rocket science.
Sooo if the average consumer is not opening up their console, then why are you worried about them opening up their console?

They'll be using an external drive to store PS5 games and transfer to and from the internal storage right? Plug and play amirite?

You're trying really hard to create this scenario of some extremely dumb joe schmoe who won't open up their PS5 but then will suddenly go to Microcenter or Best Buy, buy a M.2 drive and come home and suddenly do what they weren't going to do in the first place?

The PS4 having a slot for a laptop hard drive being easier as a point is even funnier as that is MORE complicated.

You have to make sure you backed up your system data to either another external HD or prepared a USB drive with the PS4 update for a fresh install and then completely start the PS4 up from scratch and restore the data back to it.

Also, the PS4 external hard drive storage solution came about in 2017, a full 4 years after launch so it's not the same thing since users could upgrade the internal HD as soon as they bought it.

Currently, the option is in beta and even myself being a Sony guy isn't even part of the beta.

The University of Youtube will have tons of videos for upgrading your storage on the PS5 that the average joe blow can watch before buying an M.2 drive.

I also have worked in IT and still do and deal with far more complicated scenarios and off of the top of my head, I can't think of a single scenario where this hypothetical client who can't identify a USB cable to save their life is suddenly performing technical procedures on their machines.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

I never took the upgraded hard drives out of my PS3 or PS4. I still have both and the hard drives are still in them. Even if I didn't have them I'm not gutting some old ass drive out of them. When the PS5 is old news the hard drive inside it won't be worth having in anything else. The tech will simply continue to advance.

I had a 2 TB in the 2nd PS4 Pro I sold. Just left it in there and sold it with that. Drive was too slow to keep for other purposes.