So you buy an M.2 SSD device that meets standard but there is no guarantee it will work

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I do think it's weird they still don't have an 'official' expansion drive, that they can say will work just like the internal drive. but to be fair, this update is still in beta, so maybe there will be something by the time it releases to the public

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
People who play consoles ain't really looking to do all this stuff. That's why they're on consoles in the first place. By their very nature consoles are proprietary.
For the last two generations gamers have praised Sony for not using perpriatary memory solutions on their consoles, why is it different now?

Installing an ssd in a ps5 looks no harder than installing a harddrive in the ps4 and ps3. Yall literally complaining about nothing.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I do think it's weird they still don't have an 'official' expansion drive, that they can say will work just like the internal drive. but to be fair, this update is still in beta, so maybe there will be something by the time it releases to the public
Why are people acting like these drives won't be clearly labeled as compatible with the ps5 like they've been since ps3?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
exactly they're being purposely obtuse. A lot of these SSD's are banking on the "Compatible with PS5" to market them.
nikkas literally complaining about something that hasn't been an issue since Obama took office. Even SD cards are labeled "switch compatible". You'd have actually try to fukk this up on purpose.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
exactly they're being purposely obtuse. A lot of these SSD's are banking on the "Compatible with PS5" to market them.

It's not about that. Tell the average consumer to open their console up and watch the average consumer go

tenor.gif

Like, y'all are really underestimating the demand of plug n play preferences of the average consumer. Most people don't even open their pc to clean the dust in it, lol. Like I said, it's easy for us but to the average person, they unwittingly treat this shyt like rocket science.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I've worked retail in my life and I work with customers now. People are both ignorant and lazy. People will ask someone else to tell them what to do with zero research and if an uninformed person tells them to do something and it doesn't work out they will blame that person. Just because you're tech savvy and on a forum full of tech savvy people doesn't mean you should assume that the average person has enough intelligence to research and pick the right drive.

Trust and believe there will be many people who buy a drive without a heat sink and mess their shyt up. Console gamers aren't custom PC builders. They need this stuff standardized.

Breh, we're talking about this beta test. I don't know why y'all keep going on about the average customer. As far as public release down the line, we already have multiple vendors (Gigabyte, Seagate, WD) announcing compatibility and we will definitely get a whitelist from Sony themselves (this was mentioned a long time ago). The 3 vendors I mentioned already have variants w/ a heat sink already installed. We'll also likely see compatibility branding as well.

These scenarios are ridiculous. Nobody is going to say "I need a Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSD" then ignore everything else.

Storage expansion isn't really something the average Joe would bother with anyway.

And again, this is inline with how the PS3 and PS4 handled expanding storage.

It's not about that. Tell the average consumer to open their console up and watch the average consumer go

Like, y'all are really underestimating the demand of plug n play preferences of the average consumer. Most people don't even open their pc to clean the dust in it, lol. Like I said, it's easy for us but to the average person, they unwittingly treat this shyt like rocket science.
You don't have to open your console. The average customer, who just buys a few games a year, will just delete and move on.

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI

How come there was never any backlash for sony doing the exact same thing the past 2 generations? The installation process is the same as its been, where were all these confused customers who couldn't figure shyt out?

Why did people shyt on the 360 memory solution in favor of the ps3 when the 360 had a simple perperiatary solution and the ps3 had the same process as the ps5?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

tenor.gif

you keep saying "opening up your console" like its the same as opening a PC tower. There is literally two screws involved in the entire process. Do you own a PS5? The face plates literally snap off....

if you can't replace two screws then you probably have a hard time standing your ps5 up to begin with.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If the system didn't already have an internal drive and this was the only way to add storage, the concern would all make sense. We're talking about expansion. Something that only a fraction will bother with.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
These scenarios are ridiculous. Nobody is going to say "I need a Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSD" then ignore everything else.

Storage expansion isn't really something the average Joe would bother with anyway.

And again, this is inline with how the PS3 and PS4 handled expanding storage.

You don't have to open your console. The average customer, who just buys a few games a year, will just delete and move on.

My entire point is ease of use, to the average consumer. The PS4 was simply get a ___TB hard drive, plug it into the usb. Voila, you have extra storage.

How come there was never any backlash for sony doing the exact same thing the past 2 generations? The installation process is the same as its been, where were all these confused customers who couldn't figure shyt out?

Why did people shyt on the 360 memory solution in favor of the ps3 when the 360 had a simple perperiatary solution and the ps3 had the same process as the ps5?

Non-Proprietary >>>> Proprietary. Always, however, you should still make it braindead simple though. That's how we got things like USB standard.

The reason that the 360 and the PS3 got away with for a certain amount of time was because the game install sizes were smaller and in the case of the 360, you didn't even have an HDD at launch. Once the PS3 Slim and the Xbox 360 Elite came out, it didn't matter, both were over 120GB each.

My entire point to what I'm saying is the following. Sony has a solution to the hard drive storage size. In actuality, it's not hard to upgrade. My point is that even with what is known about Sony's solution, that is still a bridge too far for the average consumer.

https://ultratechlife.com/tech/peop...because-internal-parts-are-clogged-with-dust/

According to the American Community Survey data, as of 2013, about 83% of Americans have a computer at home. Think of the cost for each of these computers. A majority of these people will never clean the parts and most people do not have the technical knowledge to perform their own system repairs. How many people even think about cleaning their internal PC heat exhaust fans?

I'm just befuddled that they created something that they should know most people won't mess with because most people won't trust themselves to do it right, that's all.

you keep saying "opening up your console" like its the same as opening a PC tower. There is literally two screws involved in the entire process. Do you own a PS5? The face plates literally snap off....

if you can't replace two screws then you probably have a hard time standing your ps5 up to begin with.

You are talking here to presumably lifelong gamers, tech heads and the like. Get out your bubble for a minute.

We are gamers through and through. For many things, help is just a google search away yet most don't even do that. Most people are babies when it comes to this. Most people will likely not need it, meaning the extra space but some will and some will see opening the console as a barrier to them. That's all we are trying to say. On a scale of 1-10, it's likely to be a 3 at most on the scale of difficulty . It should have been a 1 because only at one will the masses flock to it due to ease of installation so no, this isn't faux outrage or anything like that. Most of us are simply looking at it like from the perspective of foresight or lackthereof to the average consumer. They didn't follow the KISS method of electronics. Keep It Simple Stupid. Half of us will likely upgrade via this method, no biggie. Average person isn't.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
My entire point is ease of use, to the average consumer. The PS4 was simply get a ___TB hard drive, plug it into the usb. Voila, you have extra storage.

Non-Proprietary >>>> Proprietary. Always, however, you should still make it braindead simple though. That's how we got things like USB standard.

The reason that the 360 and the PS3 got away with for a certain amount of time was because the game install sizes were smaller and in the case of the 360, you didn't even have an HDD at launch. Once the PS3 Slim and the Xbox 360 Elite came out, it didn't matter, both were over 120GB each.

My entire point to what I'm saying is the following. Sony has a solution to the hard drive storage size. In actuality, it's not hard to upgrade. My point is that even with what is known about Sony's solution, that is still a bridge too far for the average consumer.

https://ultratechlife.com/tech/peop...because-internal-parts-are-clogged-with-dust/

I'm just befuddled that they created something that they should know most people won't mess with because most people won't trust themselves to do it right, that's all.

You are talking here to presumably lifelong gamers, tech heads and the like. Get out your bubble for a minute.

We are gamers through and through. For many things, help is just a google search away yet most don't even do that. Most people are babies when it comes to this. Most people will likely not need it, meaning the extra space but some will and some will see opening the console as a barrier to them. That's all we are trying to say. On a scale of 1-10, it's likely to be a 3 at most on the scale of difficulty . It should have been a 1 because only at one will the masses flock to it due to ease of installation so no, this isn't faux outrage or anything like that. Most of us are simply looking at it like from the perspective of foresight or lackthereof to the average consumer. They didn't follow the KISS method of electronics. Keep It Simple Stupid. Half of us will likely upgrade via this method, no biggie. Average person isn't.

I mean you keep saying the average person but the average person is most likely content wit hthe storage on their console until a pro model comes out, like me. I don't plan on spending 200-400 dollars for the convenience of not deleting games. Anyone who's into this short of thing can figure out two screws.

if the xbox solution has a difficulty of 2/10 this probably has difficult of 4/10. Also why do I automatically have to take Tom Warrens word for how difficult this is when I, myself have a ps5 sitting right next to me and have taken off the plates before. Once agian, do you have a ps5? Are you trying to sit here and tell me this shyt is harder than it actually is when I have my own experience saying its not? I can find you plenty of other people in the industry who don't find this method complicated as yall are trying to make it out to be either.

the overlap between the casual game who doens't give a shyt about any of this or even know its a thing at this point and the casual gamer that wants to spend enough money to buy another ps5 to upgrade their ps5 for the sole purpose of holding more games is probably non-existent.

Last edited: