So you buy an M.2 SSD device that meets standard but there is no guarantee it will work

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
How come there was never any backlash for sony doing the exact same thing the past 2 generations? The installation process is the same as its been, where were all these confused customers who couldn't figure shyt out?

Why did people shyt on the 360 memory solution in favor of the ps3 when the 360 had a simple perperiatary solution and the ps3 had the same process as the ps5?
Because back then all you had to do was put a laptop sized drive in. It was idiot proof.

When I was a teenager I used to work at a Target store. People would ask me which camera I suggested. I didn't know shyt really and back then I was making minimum wage. People asking someone who can't afford to buy the shyt they're looking to buy for advice. That's the level of research they did.

The way you're talking you sound like you never dealt with customers in a retail setting. Some spoiled kid tells his mom he wants more storage on the PS5 and she goes to a Best Buy and ask for a drive with limited to no real knowledge of what she's buying her having more options than necessary isn't great.

There are even more people who let price dictate what they buy and will just purchase the bare minimum and if the drive without the heat sink cost less they'll buy that and slap it in.

This is the same company that won't even let you use a PS4 controller for PS5 games. They standardized that so the customer knows if I buy a PS5 controller it has to be this type. You can't just use any Bluetooth controller.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Personally I don't see why you need a heat sink. I've put these drives in my custom built PCs and never used one with no issues or problems.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Personally I don't see why you need a heat sink. I've put these drives in my custom built PCs and never used one with no issues or problems.
supposedly these gen 4 m.2 drives run hotter. but it's probably just an extra precaution to avoid any liability. it is in a tighter space than your average desktop with decent airflow

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
I mean you keep saying the average person but the average person is most likely content wit hthe storage on their console until a pro model comes out, like me. I don't plan on spending 200-400 dollars for the convenience of not deleting games. Anyone who's into this short of thing can figure out two screws.

if the xbox solution has a difficulty of 2/10 this probably has difficult of 4/10. Also why do I automatically have to take Tom Warrens word for how difficult this is when I, myself have a ps5 sitting right next to me and have taken off the plates before. Once agian, do you have a ps5? Are you trying to sit here and tell me this shyt is harder than it actually is when I have my own experience saying its not? I can find you plenty of other people in the industry who don't find this method complicated as yall are trying to make it out to be either.

the overlap between the casual game who doens't give a shyt about any of this or even know its a thing at this point and the casual gamer that wants to spend enough money to buy another ps5 to upgrade their ps5 for the sole purpose of holding more games is probably non-existent.

This dude really made a tiktok on that? That actually looks easier than I expected lmao. I will give Xbox credit here though, their shyt is very easy.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Sony stans just dikkride anything Sony does.

This is clearly not an ideal solution. shyt seems all over the place and needlessly difficult.

PS5 storage solution is trash. It’s ok to admit it :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It's a different story where storage or storage expansion is concerned though. Things started moving away from proprietary /w the PS3. And I've never read anything to suggest that it's a turn off. The price savings that come with supporting open standards -- at least for people looking to expand -- outweigh the extra effort it seems.
There is no price savings :stopitslime:

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Sony stans just dikkride anything Sony does.

This is clearly not an ideal solution. shyt seems all over the place and needlessly difficult.

PS5 storage solution is trash. It’s ok to admit it :manny:
What are you going to do with that proprietary storage when Xbox goes out of business?

At least you can reuse an nvme drive