So you buy an M.2 SSD device that meets standard but there is no guarantee it will work

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Any plug and play solution would be too slow.

It's crazy to me to see people arguing for more proprietary solutions over open solutions.
People who play consoles ain't really looking to do all this stuff. That's why they're on consoles in the first place. By their very nature consoles are proprietary.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
People who play consoles ain't really looking to do all this stuff. That's why they're on consoles in the first place. By their very nature consoles are proprietary.
It's a different story where storage or storage expansion is concerned though. Things started moving away from proprietary /w the PS3. And I've never read anything to suggest that it's a turn off. The price savings that come with supporting open standards -- at least for people looking to expand -- outweigh the extra effort it seems.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's a different story where storage or storage expansion is concerned though. Things started moving away from proprietary /w the PS3. And I've never read anything to suggest that it's a turn off. The price savings that come with supporting open standards -- at least for people looking to expand -- outweigh the extra effort it seems.
The average joe not looking to put in that drive and add a heat sink. They want something brainless. Microsoft has plug in cards and the prices are about the same.

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
The average joe not looking to put in that drive and add a heat sink. They want something brainless. Microsoft has plug in cards and the prices are about the same.
The average Joe is likely not the type to expand their storage. They play and delete. You don't have to add a heat sink yourself. Every supported drive comes with one already installed. This is pretty brainless. Look at the video @The Mad Titan posted. Tom Warren tried his best to make it look difficult but ended up proving how simple it is to add. The MS plug and play cards use the CFexpress standard and they don't have one that supports 4.0 speeds yet.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The average Joe is likely not the type to expand their storage. They play and delete. You don't have to add a heat sink yourself. Every supported drive comes with one already installed. This is pretty brainless. Look at the video @The Mad Titan posted. Tom Warren tried his best to make it look difficult but ended up proving how simple it is to add. The MS plug and play cards use the CFexpress standard and they don't have one that supports 4.0 speeds yet.
Except that's not necessarily true. You can buy some with a heat sink and some without and add your own. The fact that this isn't standardized means people may very well buy just the drive alone because it's cheaper. pop it in and mess stuff up.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Except that's not necessarily true. You can buy some with a heat sink and some without and add your own. The fact that this isn't standardized means people may very well buy just the drive alone because it's cheaper. pop it in and mess stuff up.

eh i dont think its that serious. Anyone looking to spend a bunch of money to ugprade their video games are gonna research the cheapest and most compatible ssd, theres obviously gonna be popular choices that rise to the top in a matter of days

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
eh i dont think its that serious. Anyone looking to spend a bunch of money to ugprade their video games are gonna research the cheapest and most compatible ssd, theres obviously gonna be popular choices that rise to the top in a matter of days
If you dealt with customers especially retail customers you'd understand. People aren't as bright as you'd give them credit for. Making something that's optional a requirement is problematic especially when that optional item drives up the cost.

Let's take it a step further. Boeing took a much needed safety feature on the 747 Max and made it optional and cost more. Look how that turned out.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If you dealt with customers especially retail customers you'd understand. People aren't as bright as you'd give them credit for. Making something that's optional a requirement is problematic especially when that optional item drives up the cost.

Let's take it a step further. Boeing took a much needed safety feature on the 747 Max and made it optional and cost more. Look how that turned out.

people are generally stupid but sony players are of the smarter variety, i have faith in them.:mjgrin:

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
You guys just want to make a mountain out of a molehill and I am past that. Believe what you want. Introduce whatever fantasy scenario you want.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You guys just want to make a mountain out of a molehill and I am past that. Believe what you want. Introduce whatever fantasy scenario you want.

yeah, its like asking, "but what if someone forces the SSD into the wrong slot on the series x though???" its like ok...im sure there will be dumb people who find ways to break their shyt no matter what, its not worth wondering about.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I've worked retail in my life and I work with customers now. People are both ignorant and lazy. People will ask someone else to tell them what to do with zero research and if an uninformed person tells them to do something and it doesn't work out they will blame that person. Just because you're tech savvy and on a forum full of tech savvy people doesn't mean you should assume that the average person has enough intelligence to research and pick the right drive.

Trust and believe there will be many people who buy a drive without a heat sink and mess their shyt up. Console gamers aren't custom PC builders. They need this stuff standardized.