So what exactly constitutes a Movie as "Horror?" Let's debate and define.

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
That's a great point, any character/ monster you could talk down or reason with would invalidate all of it's power, can't have Jason Vorhee's chasing someone for them to fall to their knees and go "My dad's got money :damn:" so Jason can reply "I'm listening :ehh:"

:dead:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I understand where you see that, but I felt like the horror scenes were very isolated in that they did not create that sense of dread throughout the film. They were effective scenes, but once they ended, it didn't linger for me...Now on the boat, that'ss when the dread cranked up and Speilberg utilized his atmosphere very effectively

I think that's the beauty of the movie though it sort of lulls you to sleep and to be fair, a lot of that lack of dread, at least in my mind, is due to the shark not working, which also was a blessing in disguise

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Jaws always confuses me because it's got the cinematics of a horror film but at the same time there's no mystery over what the threat is and the fact that the lead characters' actively chase it upsets the normal dynamic for me.

Serial killer films too, not slashers, but procedural films like Seven, Zodiac, Memories of Murder. They rarely have the camera work or tense set pieces of horror but at the same time all those films had me more :merchant: than the 95% of the usual horror movies I've seen.
Jaws is horror because at its core it is a monster movie...it's just that the monster in question is a great white shark.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Alright, we've chopped it up about Jaws, so what's brehs' opinions on Terminator 1 and Alien 1 :lupe:

Like Jaws they behave a lot like horror films, but I think they've got to be filed under sci-fi b/c of the futuristic world building in both of them is so crucial to the films, compared to something like The Thing where the sci fi element enables the horror to pop off in a real world setting :yeshrug:
Terminator is sci-fi/action.
Alien is horror pure and simple.
Aliens is sci-fi/action though.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I think its very subjective. My man considers "Silence of the Lambs" a thriller. I think its a horror movie because it spooked me. On the other hand, my friend thinks "The Conjuring" is a horror, but it offered few scares for me, so I would classify it as a thriller with supernatural elements.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I think its very subjective. My man considers "Silence of the Lambs" a thriller. I think its a horror movie because it spooked me. On the other hand, my friend thinks "The Conjuring" is a horror, but it offered few scares for me, so I would classify it as a thriller with supernatural elements.
It isn't that subjective though. The Conjuring is horror whether it scared you personally or not because it deals with ghosts and possession.
Silence of the Lambs is not horror by any stretch of the imagination no matter how much it unnerves people.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
It isn't that subjective though. The Conjuring is horror whether it scared you personally or not because it deals with ghosts and possession.
Silence of the Lambs is not horror by any stretch of the imagination no matter how much it unnerves people.

Well, I suppose there's an "official" genre standard, and then our own personal standards. The idea of "The Conjuring" being a horror movie kinda makes me snicker, but I definitely understand it falls into that genre for cataloging purposes. Meanwhile, although "The Hitcher" can always be found in the thriller section of any dvd catalog, it will always be a horror for me.:yeshrug:

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Jaws is horror because at its core it is a monster movie...it's just that the monster in question is a great white shark.

That's a whole other can of worms about to be opened about monster movies there breh. Are any of the Godzilla and King Kong iterations horror movies? Tremors? Pacific Rim?

Nah, I wouldn't really argue against SOTL, even though I won't be having it in my top ten. Hannibal Lecter is as much of a morally and emotionally incomprehensible satan-in-the-flesh as Michael Myers, Jason and Leather Face, he's just a more richly drawn version of that archetype.

I might have to concede the Alien point tho :to:

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
That's a whole other can of worms about to be opened about monster movies there breh. Are any of the Godzilla and King Kong iterations horror movies? Tremors? Pacific Rim?

Nah, I wouldn't really argue against SOTL, even though I won't be having it in my top ten. Hannibal Lecter is as much of a morally and emotionally incomprehensible satan-in-the-flesh as Michael Myers, Jason and Leather Face, he's just a more richly drawn version of that archetype.

I might have to concede the Alien point tho :to:
Tremors is horror.
Pacific Rim was about giant robots first who just so happened to be fighting monsters so that was sci-fi/action
King Kong has always been categorized as a horror movie. Not a particularly scary one but a horror movie still.
Godzilla began as Japanese Kaiju and that puts it in a different category than an American made monster movie.