So what exactly constitutes a Movie as "Horror?" Let's debate and define.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Hasn't he been trying to get that funded for years though?
He has and in all honesty, speaking strictly from a business standpoint (which I hate but we gotta think about that end when it comes to certain things) doing a mountains of madness flick the way it should be done with the budget it needs, that's a tough sell for any studio. It's gotta be at least a 90-100 million dollar R rated flick and this ain't the 90s anymore where you could have something like T2 be made for that much money and be a hit and part of the reason it was made for that much was because of Arnold's star power and the studio marketed the flick to kids (I had a couple T2 toys) and I don't know if studios would do that anymore. Hell, I don't know if parents would go for that
Legendary has already agreed to fund it as long as Del Toro can make it PG-13 :stopitslime: but I figure del Toro can work some magic and try to push the limits of that rating. Or maybe even convince Legendary to ease the fukk up and let it be R-rated.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Difference between a horror movie and a thriller

From: http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_thriller_movie_and_a_horror_movie

A thriller is more interested in suspense, putting you "on the edge of your seat" or in plain terms, making you nervous for the fate of the characters. A horror movie wants to make you fear for your personal safety, to make you afraid that what happened to the characters may happen to you even after you've left the theater.
As a good horror movie often contains a great deal of suspense and as a good thriller can be pretty scary in spots it's more down to the intentions of the film maker and the subject matter of the film. Hitchcock is regarded as a suspense director but his films Psycho and The Birds are more correctly classified as horror films because they deal with horrific subject matter and their intention is to terrify, not make you nervous about the fate of the on-screen characters. Hitchcock's film North By Northwest has a terrifically suspenseful ending but it is not particularly horrific in that it is not specifically designed to scare you into thinking you may fall off Washington's nose on your next visit to Mount Rushmore.
Since the 80's film makers who somehow feel making a horror film is beneath them have often described their films as "thrillers" when they are actually horror films further blurring the difference between the two styles.
Glad u posted this cuz sum folks don't know the difference

For example I consider Jacob's Ladder a thriller with some horror elements

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Glad u posted this cuz sum folks don't know the difference

For example I consider Jacob's Ladder a thriller with some horror elements

The problem is that in many cases there isn't a difference.

Nothing about Rosemary's Baby makes me fear for my personal safety. Neither does The Exorcist. But those are CLEARLY more horror than suspense...and The Exorcist it isn't really suspense at all.

That's why, the more I think about it, the imagery/sound design is every bit as important, if not more so, than the content of a horror film....at least when discussing the differences between it and suspense.

It really is a case-by-case basis, and there are some films that trend so far into either genre that it's essentially impossible to consider them solely one or the other. I think Psycho is the perfect example of this kind of film. It's impossible to categorize as one or the other.

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps
The problem is that in many cases there isn't a difference.

Nothing about Rosemary's Baby makes me fear for my personal safety. Neither does The Exorcist. But those are CLEARLY more horror than suspense...and The Exorcist it isn't really suspense at all.

That's why, the more I think about it, the imagery/sound design is every bit as important, if not more so, than the content of a horror film....at least when discussing the differences between it and suspense.

It really is a case-by-case basis, and there are some films that trend so far into either genre that it's essentially impossible to consider them solely one or the other. I think Psycho is the perfect example of this kind of film. It's impossible to categorize as one or the other.

So it might not be an unreasonable distinction to say that a suspense film wrings the tension from the story whereas a horror film draws tension from what's immediately on-screen :ohhh:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So it might not be an unreasonable distinction to say that a suspense film wrings the tension from the story whereas a horror film draws tension from what's immediately on-screen :ohhh:

I think horror can do that too. In halloween, a lot of the tension comes from seeing Michael, seeing him disappear and just knowing he's there. Knowing he's lurking somewhere ready to get you

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I think horror can do that too. In halloween, a lot of the tension comes from seeing Michael, seeing him disappear and just knowing he's there. Knowing he's lurking somewhere ready to get you
True, but what you're afraid of is seeing Michael pop up and do his thing again, as an audience member, more than you're afraid for Jamie Lee Curtis' wellbeing. You're not so much worried as what is going to happen to her as for what he's about to do to other people:yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
True, but what you're afraid of is seeing Michael pop up and do his thing again, as an audience member, more than you're afraid for Jamie Lee Curtis' wellbeing. You're not so much worried as what is going to happen to her as for what he's about to do to other people:yeshrug:

Hm..I agree with that to a point but personally, I was involved in her story when I was a kid. I was afraid of him but I was also afraid of what he'd do to her because during the last few mins of that movie when it's just Michael hunting her down, shyt gets insane

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Then you have a movie like the thing where you're afraid of what's on screen and what's not on screen because you don't know who's the thing and who's real.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Is Rosemary's Baby scary?

It's undeniably creepy and makes you feel uncomfortable, but I don't think it's even meant to really scare the viewer.

But I'd definitely consider it a horror film in spite of that.

rosemary's baby felt more like a thriller to me until maybe the last 5-10 min.

the theme song was horror ish but that's really about it

imdb classifies it as drama/ horror/Mystery :patrice:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
rosemary's baby felt more like a thriller to me until maybe the last 5-10 min.

the theme song was horror ish but that's really about it

imdb classifies it as drama/ horror/Mystery :patrice:

Word? I never knew that. I always assumed it was classified as horror because every horror fan claims it

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps
:pacino:Now we are getting close to a real definition right here :stevieyea:
There's something to be said for :drunk: posting

Hm..I agree with that to a point but personally, I was involved in her story when I was a kid. I was afraid of him but I was also afraid of what he'd do to her because during the last few mins of that movie when it's just Michael hunting her down, shyt gets insane

Right, I felt the same too (that film had me literally checking behind curtains when I tried to go to bed after I first saw it :merchant:) but mostly like all these horror heroes she functions as a pair of eyes and a proxy character that the director encourages the audience to fill their shoes. That's obviously going to be the case with 99% of lead characters in Hollywood films but none I think are trying to put your senses in place of theirs like horror films do...

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

The definition being used to distinguish the two genres isn't working for me. I was invested in Jamie Lee Curtis' well-being in Halloween. And I may not be invested in any of the characters in a so-called thriller, but the tension I feel while watching some of those movies is from the heinous nature of the crimes and from the fear that someone like main villain could exist in real life. This is why I classify Silence of the Lambs and The Hitcher as horror flicks. The idea that Hannibal or the psycho hitchhiker guy could actually do what they do to people is enough to produce tension, a part from my investment in the other characters.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The definition being used to distinguish the two genres isn't working for me. I was invested in Jamie Lee Curtis' well-being in Halloween. And I may not be invested in any of the characters in a so-called thriller, but the tension I feel while watching some of those movies is from the heinous nature of the crimes and from the fear that someone like main villain could exist in real life. This is why I classify Silence of the Lambs and The Hitcher as horror flicks. The idea that Hannibal or the psycho hitchhiker guy could actually do what they do to people is enough to produce tension, a part from my investment in the other characters.

Yeah I agree. Now Fatal Attraction is a thriller to me with horror aspects but The Hitcher and Lambs are horror flicks to me because these are real people who in theory could actually do this stuff. Jason isn't real Freddy isn't real, but Lecter could be real and the hitcher could be real. It's psychological horror