So what exactly constitutes a Movie as "Horror?" Let's debate and define.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Jaws uses a lot of horror tricks and techniques...but I think it's a bit of a stretch calling it a "horror film." I'd call it a thriller with many flawlessly executed horror elements.

See that's where I disagree. There are horror scenes in it. Ben Gardner's boat, the kittner boy getting devoured. The opening scene. Quint's death. Those are horror scenes. And the movie stays with you. It's a horror movie in the same sense psycho is. There aren't a lot of horrific scenes in it but the ones that are are very effective and create a sense of foreboding for the whole flick

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
That's a great point, any character/ monster you could talk down or reason with would invalidate all of it's power, can't have Jason Vorhee's chasing someone for them to fall to their knees and go "My dad's got money :damn:" so Jason can reply "I'm listening :ehh:"
Hilarious!
+ rep for making me laugh out loud this early in the morning.

Lol. It's about inevitability. I think the best horror flicks are about that and jaws along with a lot of my favorites are all about this thing that you cannot stop and will get you its just a matter of when. Ultimately you have to go to great lengths to stop it even sacrifice if need be
I heard a Coen Brothers interview where they were listing key rules to horror.

1. Innocent must suffer
2. You have to spill blood to be a man
3. The dead will rise (I'm assuming they meant metaphorically)

I think there was two more, I'm looking through youtube right now to find the interview.

Had me like :ohhh:
To piggyback off of these three posts, one of the things I have always found interesting about horror (fukked up as it is), is bad things happening to good people. Even when the person in question deserves some type of get back, it's always 10 times what they deserve in horror movies. I think those are important elements. You want to see a guy who snatched a purse from an old lady get his, but when he runs into the woods to get away from the cops, wanders into the territory of some psycho hillbilly cannibals and spends the next 90 mins being terrorized, you can't help but be like :damn:....
I gotta say this is one of the more interesting topics in the film room... I'm actually going to need some times to think and compile what makes a good horror movie for my own edification. :ehh:

I listened to the Battleship Pretension podcast episode just this week to prepare for this inevitable discussion. It's a pretty good ep, though a little ragged.

BUT, the best point the make in the difference between suspense and horror is the release of tension. Horror movies build tension up, toward a direct release...you're just scared/uncomfortable (or at least that's the goal).

Suspense films generally build up tension and there is more of a payoff when that tension is released.

IMO, one major factor that would sort of limit what can be considered horror is any whodunit element. If there is a mystery that is being actively investigated by someone other than those immediately involved in the "incident", then it's a suspense/thriller movie. In these movies, the viewer is generally more concerned, or least partially concerned, with following the plot and the mystery. MOST horror films don't have the same kind of "procedural" feel. There are some that have similar auras about them, like Rosemary's Baby as an example, when we start to unravel what the hell is actually happening. But it's not done in the same style as something like Silence Of The Lambs.

Of course, no rule or guide will really hold up perfectly, but the debate is definitely interesting.
Interesting take. :ld:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Horror, rips your soul apart. It doesn't have to be the quintessential monsters (Freddy, Zombies),

cuz human beings (think of the litany serial killers) are demonic themselves; that will presumably

mortify you. It boils down to a morbid premise, and the psychological trauma of a hopeless tragic demise being the only resolution:wow:

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Alright, we've chopped it up about Jaws, so what's brehs' opinions on Terminator 1 and Alien 1 :lupe:

Like Jaws they behave a lot like horror films, but I think they've got to be filed under sci-fi b/c of the futuristic world building in both of them is so crucial to the films, compared to something like The Thing where the sci fi element enables the horror to pop off in a real world setting :yeshrug:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Horror is primarily about projecting fear onto the audience and making them scared (I hope this doesn't happen to me). Thrillers can make you scared as well but towards the characters' sakes (I hope this won't happen to him). That's to say, after a horror movie you should still be scared but after a thriller you wouldn't, seeing that the character's fate has been determined in the movie.

Jaws is actually a great example for a horror movie because it actually gave people an disproportional fear of sharks compared to how much of a threat they really are. The closer the horror is brought to a situation familiar to your own (for instance Paranormal Activity), the more easily the fear is projected on you.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Psycho, Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, and other "psychological thrillers" are under the horror genre like how slashers films are.

Horror is/was seen as b-rated so they added labels to try to disassociate some films.

Almost like how sambos hate to be associated with other black folks when they are around whites

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I disagree on a lot of points, I think horror is all about the tone and mood of the film, and what it evokes in it's audience…. 'Scream' is definitely a horror movie, some of this seems to be just tightening the genre reigns and rearranging to subdivisions.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Alright, we've chopped it up about Jaws, so what's brehs' opinions on Terminator 1 and Alien 1 :lupe:

Like Jaws they behave a lot like horror films, but I think they've got to be filed under sci-fi b/c of the futuristic world building in both of them is so crucial to the films, compared to something like The Thing where the sci fi element enables the horror to pop off in a real world setting :yeshrug:

Alien is a horror flick man.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
See that's where I disagree. There are horror scenes in it. Ben Gardner's boat, the kittner boy getting devoured. The opening scene. Quint's death. Those are horror scenes. And the movie stays with you. It's a horror movie in the same sense psycho is. There aren't a lot of horrific scenes in it but the ones that are are very effective and create a sense of foreboding for the whole flick

I understand where you see that, but I felt like the horror scenes were very isolated in that they did not create that sense of dread throughout the film. They were effective scenes, but once they ended, it didn't linger for me...Now on the boat, that'ss when the dread cranked up and Speilberg utilized his atmosphere very effectively

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Breh, everybody knows the story of Rosemary's baby by this point. Its a cultural classic in that its referenced alot...there's really no secret there anymore
Sure...except that the guy he was responding to literally just said "I don't know what that is"

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
I can't believe yall let him get away with saying TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE isn't a horror movie:scust:

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
I heard a Coen Brothers interview where they were listing key rules to horror.

1. Innocent must suffer
2. You have to spill blood to be a man
3. The dead will rise (I'm assuming they meant metaphorically)

I think there was two more, I'm looking through youtube right now to find the interview.

Had me like :ohhh:

But why haven't they made one tho? :troll: