So what exactly constitutes a Movie as "Horror?" Let's debate and define.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I listened to the Battleship Pretension podcast episode just this week to prepare for this inevitable discussion. It's a pretty good ep, though a little ragged.

BUT, the best point the make in the difference between suspense and horror is the release of tension. Horror movies build tension up, but there is never any real payoff or release...you're just scared/uncomfortable (or at least that's the goal).

Suspense films generally build up tension and there is more of a payoff when that tension is released.

IMO, one major factor that would sort of limit what can be considered horror is any whodunit element. If there is a mystery that is being actively investigated by someone other than those immediately involved in the "incident", then it's a suspense/thriller movie. In these movies, the viewer is generally more concerned, or least partially concerned, with following the plot and the mystery. MOST horror films don't have the same kind of "procedural" feel. There are some that have similar auras about them, like Rosemary's Baby as an example, when we start to unravel what the hell is actually happening. But it's not done in the same style as something like Silence Of The Lambs.

Of course, no rule or guide will really hold up perfectly, but the debate is definitely interesting.

I thought they said that horror had a payoff for the suspension?

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
They're right though. It's about a build of tension and then boom it's released. Thrillers just build and build the suspense or the story is more of the focus and the suspense isn't.

OK, the feeling I was referring to is that horror movies stick with you more. The tension doesn't end with the on-screen payoff. The viewer would still feel uncomfortable after the "boom"....unlike most suspense films.

:manny:

The shyt is too complicated to really nail something down.

It's easier to define, or classify, something as horror than a thriller imo. There are more genres that overlap with thrillers than do so with horror.

I don't think we're going to have much debate within the horror list about what is/isn't horror.

With all due respect to whoever you quoted in the first post, anyone who doesn't consider Texas Chainsaw Massacre a horror film is wrong :heh:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
They're right though. It's about a build of tension and then boom it's released. Thrillers just build and build the suspense or the story is more of the focus and the suspense isn't.

Well, I think wea re getting close to starting to create our definition here:jawalrus:let's keep it going tomorrow

shmoney

Banned
Daps
jaws isnt scary at all. why is it being mentioned in a horror thread? :comeon:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
jaws isnt scary at all. why is it being mentioned in a horror thread? :comeon:

Because horror is subjective breh. In my opinion and a lot of other peoples opinion, Jaws is a horror movie. In Steven Spielberg's opinion and Universal Studios opinion, it's a horror movie, that's what they were making. But that's besides the point: It's subjective, so even the notion of "if a film is scary, it's a horror and if not, then it's not" doesn't hold weight because what scares you may not scare me despite the intention of the filmmaker. Darkness Falls is a horror movie but it's not scary at all, that doesn't make it a non horror, just makes it not effective or a good movie

shmoney

Banned
Daps
Because horror is subjective breh. In my opinion and a lot of other peoples opinion, Jaws is a horror movie. In Steven Spielberg's opinion and Universal Studios opinion, it's a horror movie, that's what they were making. But that's besides the point: It's subjective, so even the notion of "if a film is scary, it's a horror and if not, then it's not" doesn't hold weight because what scares you may not scare me despite the intention of the filmmaker. Darkness Falls is a horror movie but it's not scary at all, that doesn't make it a non horror, just makes it not effective or a good movie

so jaws is not a good movie because its a horror and its not scary.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
so jaws is not a good movie because its a horror and its not scary.

Lol breh. Again subjective. It's classified as a horror movie. Whether it scared you or not is a different issue. The shining is classified as a horror movie but I know people who aren't scared by it at all

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
if a film is scary its a horror. if its not then its not a horror.

Is Rosemary's Baby scary?

It's undeniably creepy and makes you feel uncomfortable, but I don't think it's even meant to really scare the viewer.

But I'd definitely consider it a horror film in spite of that.

shmoney

Banned
Daps

It's undeniably creepy and makes you feel uncomfortable, but I don't think it's even meant to really scare the viewer.

i dont know what that is

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Jaws uses a lot of horror tricks and techniques...but I think it's a bit of a stretch calling it a "horror film." I'd call it a thriller with many flawlessly executed horror elements.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Yeah it never scares me but it is unsettling and a downer of a movie
i dont know what that is

It's a horror classic breh. Imagine you got married and sold your first born to the devil and your wife has no clue. So while your acting career is flourishing your wife is in the process of having the Devils son

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Yeah it never scares me but it is unsettling and a downer of a movie

It's a horror classic breh. Imagine you got married and sold your first born to the devil and your wife has no clue. So while your acting career is flourishing your wife is in the process of having the Devils son

Don't spoil the movie for him :dead: