So Sony is not doomed after all?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
These giant companies just don't fall off a cliff overnight. Usually a change happens and how they respond to it determines their fate. In 2000 Blockbuster laughed a $50 million proposal to buy Netflix out of the room. 10 years later Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy.

I feel like the model Game Pass has is the future of gaming. Even on mobile Apple has an all you can play monthly fee model. How Sony chooses to respond to it will be the determination of whether or not they're doomed in gaming. Everything in the media space is going to a streaming type all you can consume service. movies and tv shows, music, audio books, eventually video games are going to go that route.

The business Sony is running in gaming is well suited to customers buying consoles and buying individual games for the consoles. As games transition to cloud based where customers don't even need physical hardware them focusing on these expensive predominantly single player third person action type games and funneling their business through that and hardware sales isn't gonna make sense.

Personally I don't think they're doomed at all. I do think over the longer term they're going to rethink how they design games and like everyone else transition to games as a service. I also think that's going to piss of a lot of people that are Sony fanboys today.

putting console/pc games on mobile isn't the same. no different than playing mobile games on a console/pc.

Each medium has it's types of games that makes sense.

Game streaming overtaking physicals/digital is inevitable, but the price has to justify the costs to make some of these games. That's going to be an issue.

Why do people also keep acting like PS Now doesn't exist and was out over 2 years BEFORE Gamepass? They have a game streaming service already. It's not as successful as GP, but that's for a reason. Also cats forget that GP loses money as well. With the costs of these AAA games, putting those shyts on your streaming service Day 1 isn't good as a company. For consumers, it's great, but you gotta get the subs at the right price to justify shyt. Xbox tried to slide in a gold live sub price increase on the low to help with the money they are bleeding on GP and that Zenimax acquisition. The fact they tried to do the shyt on the low tells you enough.

Anyway, happy gaming all. :yeshrug:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I've been quietly laughing every time I see the mention of Gamepass:

- Gamefly has been around since 2002
- Media subscription services find their success in their "exclusive content"

Subscription based gaming will remain an ancillary feature until it has a library of exclusive content that can't be played anywhere else.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
putting console/pc games on mobile isn't the same. no different than playing mobile games on a console/pc.

Each medium has it's types of games that makes sense.

Game streaming overtaking physicals/digital is inevitable, but the price has to justify the costs to make some of these games. That's going to be an issue.

Why do people also keep acting like PS Now doesn't exist and was out over 2 years BEFORE Gamepass? They have a game streaming service already. It's not as successful as GP, but that's for a reason. Also cats forget that GP loses money as well. With the costs of these AAA games, putting those shyts on your streaming service Day 1 isn't good as a company. For consumers, it's great, but you gotta get the subs at the right price to justify shyt. Xbox tried to slide in a gold live sub price increase on the low to help with the money they are bleeding on GP and that Zenimax acquisition. The fact they tried to do the shyt on the low tells you enough.

Anyway, happy gaming all. :yeshrug:
There's also the fact that a film takes two hours to watch and is a passive activity you can do while eating or texting. Bingeing a TV show might take 10-12 hours per season, and again, is a passive activity you can pick up and pause at a moment's notice. You can justify the cost of subscription because you might potentially watch 100 hours in a month, and people still complain about rising subscription costs.

A game might take you anywhere between 15-200 hours to play, and requires you to be fully attentive, so you can't do it side by side with other activities. To justify spending $180 or more on a year of GPU over simply buying games which are constantly on sale you would need to be playing games ALL the time to feel like you were getting your money's worth.

I just don't think the comparison to streaming music or TV works

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
There's also the fact that a film takes two hours to watch and is a passive activity you can do while eating or texting. Bingeing a TV show might take 10-12 hours per season, and again, is a passive activity you can pick up and pause at a moment's notice. You can justify the cost of subscription because you might potentially watch 100 hours in a month, and people still complain about rising subscription costs.

A game might take you anywhere between 15-200 hours to play, and requires you to be fully attentive, so you can't do it side by side with other activities. To justify spending $180 or more on a year of GPU over simply buying games which are constantly on sale you would need to be playing games ALL the time to feel like you were getting your money's worth.

100% agree.

When, not if, they raise the price of GPU then what? Again, they are still losing money on the shyt now. Thankfully, the Live Gold subs help offset the overall costs. But you saw what they did trying to double the price of Live Gold.

Good luck to em.

not even gonna bring in the fact the brand is weak compared to their competition outside of North America which also hurts the growth of GP, but that's another story.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Sony stans still twisting their brain in circles to find something bad about Gamepass:mjlol:
Yo, I wanted to ask you because I don't know, but I heard from someone that you can't access the game files for GP games like you can for Steam, is that correct? So how do you mod shyt on your PC?

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I don't think it's bad at all, esp for indies and older joints.

The model just can't sustain itself without the subs.
I just remembered that when I was living in LA in 2018 I had subscribed to MoviePass which charged $9.99 a month for unlimited movies but I saw like 3 movies in 12 months. I think the appeal of Netflix is that you can do other shyt while watching it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yikes. I thought all digital was bad but not xbits have been convinced not owning games period is the future

Yeah, it sets a bad precedent for the future of gaming. It means a lot more games are gonna be GAAS and have a lot of MTX to make it worth it for publishers. I’ll take the 70 dollar games if it means I’m not continually spending money on top of it

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
tenor.gif

And MLB laughin as they fleeced Phil into giving them an additional check for Gamepass.

And the funniest part is they aren’t gonna pay them every year for a gamepass deal so the ones who actually enjoyed the game are gonna be paying 70 next year for it just like PlayStation owners

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I mean, and not only that but Netflix is almost 20 dollars a month right now, and they aren’t gonna stop raising the prices anytime soon. There’s gonna come a time where its 25 dollars a month and the content gradually gets cheaper also. No more 100 million dollar projects. You’ll never see a show like Westworld or GoT caliber on Netflix. The Witcher looks like Hercules The Legendary Journeys.

If thats the direction yall can’t wait for games to go in I’ll live in blissful ignorance over here