So NAS got 4 classics

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nothing is wrong with saying an album is good. There's also nothing wrong saying an album is classic if you don't love every song. I don't like "Gimme The Ass" on Stone Crazy, but I still think it's a classic Beatnuts album.

I have no problems with that, I just thought my point was more relevant to this thread and the board as a whole

Tbh, I really don't care if you think this album is great, shyt, classic or garbage as long as you hit me with some good reasons. I personally think its 3/5 and shouldn't be considered a great/classic album but if you have good reasons why it should then its :manny:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
People frontin' on the Lost Tapes now? :smh:
Yes, Nas fanboys are frontin trying to call it a classic album. Just because you like it doesn't mean it's a classic. Nas fanboys think that jus about everything he puts out is a classic.

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
Event Staff Correctional Facility
:beli: you donut...i love 'rewind' but the critique I gave Daughters (the concept of song not being executed well) is what a lot of people have said about rewind in the past

Are my basic posts going over you lots heads or something? :heh:

nikka, you ain't sayin' nothing mindblowing.

And the basic post of yours I quoted included a reference that I found to be baffling. I haven't ever read/heard someone saying that Rewind was a flawed track because it could have had better lyrics.

I ain't read the whole fukkin' thread but what critique did you give Daughters beside saying it could have had better lyrics. And is that really what qualifies as a fukkin' critique these days? :smugfavre:

It seems like that's all you had to say about Daughters before this post. NOW you're switching up and saying that what you meant in your "critique" of Daughters is that the song could've been better executed, much like people have said about Rewind. I guess. I don't think I've ever heard that kind of criticism of either track so you'll have to explain that.

Regardless, they seem to be two completely different tracks. Rewind is Nas spitting a story backwards. Daughters is a tribute to his relationship with his daughter and the difficulties/shortcomings of being a father.

What didn't he execute well in both tracks? Why do you think this comparison is legitimate?

H.S.

All Star
Daps
Tbh, I really don't care if you think this album is great, shyt, classic or garbage as long as you hit me with some good reasons. I personally think its 3/5 and shouldn't be considered a great/classic album but if you have good reasons why it should then its :manny:

I'm not trying to convince you. It wouldn't change your mind anyway. I'm talking about people that say an album is incredible but it can't be a classic because they don't like one or two songs. That's a pessimistic way to listen to judge music imo.

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
Yes, Nas fanboys are frontin trying to call it a classic album. Just because you like it doesn't mean it's a classic. Nas fanboys think that jus about everything he puts out is a classic.

That shyt is a great fukking album, though. I consider it to be a classic. Maybe that makes me a fanboy. :manny:

I agree that people seem to overrate and overstate the fukk our of Nas's catalog.

But you're being naive if you think there isn't some subjectivity in people hailing albums to be classics. People just overdose when it comes to Nas.

Klos2God

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas is always re-inventing himself on each album..thats what great artists do.

Illmatic had that street, NY vibe
It Was Written had a larger than Life mood, but he still kept that shiit lyrical as fukk
I Am and Nastradamus was his attempt to cross-over to an even bigger public than IWW
Stillmatic was the Comeback album after Nas was written off..and people had forgotten about him.
Gods Son was his most personal album..his mom dying..the war with Jay.
Untitled and Hip Hop is Dead speak for themselves
Life is Good is a celebration of Life.

Find me another rapper who continues to grow as an artist but doesnt have to sell out to become relevant again
Well put...Like he said " I give you chapters"

Gravity

Banned
Daps
That shyt is a great fukking album, though. I consider it to be a classic. Maybe that makes me a fanboy. :manny:

I agree that people seem to overrate and overstate the fukk our of Nas's catalog.

But you're being naive if you think there isn't some subjectivity in people hailing albums to be classics. People just overdose when it comes to Nas.
A personal favorites are different from official classics. You can personally feel that Lost Tapes was 5 mics, the best "album" ever or whatever. It's still not a classic. I feel Pieces Of a Man by AZ is a great album, it's 1 of my favorites. It's not a classic though. What makes Lost Tapes a classic other than Nas fans liking it a lot? What impact did it have on Hip Hop? Nobody besides Nas fans even care or really know about the "album". It's not even an album, it's just a collection of songs that a lot of us had already heard. So yea, if you're trying to call Lost Tapes an official classic album then you're a Nas fanboy.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka, you ain't sayin' nothing mindblowing.

And the basic post of yours I quoted included a reference that I found to be baffling. I haven't ever read/heard someone saying that Rewind was a flawed track because it could have had better lyrics.

I ain't read the whole fukkin' thread but what critique did you give Daughters beside saying it could have had better lyrics. And is that really what qualifies as a fukkin' critique these days? :smugfavre:

It seems like that's all you had to say about Daughters before this post. NOW you're switching up and saying that what you meant in your "critique" of Daughters is that the song could've been better executed, much like people have said about Rewind. I guess. I don't think I've ever heard that kind of criticism of either track so you'll have to explain that.

Regardless, they seem to be two completely different tracks. Rewind is Nas spitting a story backwards. Daughters is a tribute to his relationship with his daughter and the difficulties/shortcomings of being a father.

What didn't he execute well in both tracks? Why do you think this comparison is legitimate?

:mindblown: are you retarded? :bryan:

The comparison I made between the two was because with Rewind

I have seen it being criticized for the concept not being well executed (lyric wise)

I myself felt the same way about Daughters, hence why I said "reminds me of how people feel about rewind". It was a comparison made by my own experiences.

That's it....:dead: fukking hell you plum, it wasn't a hard point to grasp but yep you still went and fukked it up. Didn't realize you lot were so anal with words. Guess I should've said "reminds me of the opinion some people I have met personally and also when reading critics reviews have given on the stillmatic track rewind"

And in regards to the bollocks you was talking about me "switching" up my opinion :dwillhuh:. You do realize lyrics are a big factor in determining whether a song has been executed well conceptually, right?

right? :bryan:

And don't be a dikkhead all your life. Look at you putting :smugfavre:'s in your post when not even knowing what your babbling on about. lol

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
A personal classic is different from an official classic. You can personally feel that Lost Tapes was 5 mics, the best "album" ever or whatever. It's still not a classic. I feel Pieces Of a Man by AZ is a great album, it's 1 of my favorites. It's not a classic though. What makes Lost Tapes a classic other than Nas fans liking it a lot? What impact did it have on Hip Hop? Nobody besides Nas fans even care or really know about the "album". It's not even an album, it's just a collection of songs that a lot of us had already heard. So yea, if you're trying to call Lost Tapes an official classic album then you're a Nas fanboy.

Personal v. Official? :sitdown: Not this shyt. You gonna' to try to tell me that there is a way to objectively determine what albums are amazing without your subjectively interjecting your opinion at some point in the conversation. :comeon:

And you're trying to tell me that "impact" is how you define a classic? First of all, there's not a shared definition of impact, and secondly, there are too many examples of albums that weren't commercially successful (one definition of impact) that are widely considered to be great fukking records by a great many. You trying to tell me that Volume II is better than Reasonable Doubt because it had a greater "impact"? :mjpls:

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
:mindblown: are you retarded? :bryan:

The comparison I made between the two was because with Rewind

I have seen it being criticized for the concept not being well executed (lyric wise)

I myself felt the same way about Daughters, hence why I said "reminds me of how people feel about rewind". It was a comparison made by my own experiences.

That's it....:dead: fukking hell you plum, it wasn't a hard point to grasp but yep you still went and fukked it up. Didn't realize you lot were so anal with words. Guess I should've said "reminds me of the opinion some people I have met personally and also when reading critics reviews have given on the stillmatic track rewind"

And in regards to the bollocks you was talking about me "switching" up my opinion :dwillhuh:. You do realize lyrics are a big factor in determining whether a song has been executed well conceptually, right?

right? :bryan:

And don't be a dikkhead all your life. Look at you putting :smugfavre:'s in your post when not even knowing what your babbling on about. lol

You seem upset. :smugfavre:

nikka called me retarded, a donut, a plum, and a dikkhead...all in two posts. Oh yeah, :umad:.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
Personal v. Official? :sitdown: Not this shyt. You gonna' to try to tell me that there is a way to objectively determine what albums are amazing without your subjectively interjecting your opinion at some point in the conversation. :comeon:

And you're trying to tell me that "impact" is how you define a classic? First of all, there's not a shared definition of impact, and secondly, there are too many examples of albums that weren't commercially successful (one definition of impact) that are widely considered to be great fukking records by a great many. You trying to tell me that Volume II is better than Reasonable Doubt because it had a greater "impact"? :mjpls:

Obviously the quality of any particular album is subjective. I'll repeat though, just because you think that a particular album is amazing doesn't mean it's a classic. Classics are about more than your personal opinion, they're about the opinion of the masses. You didn't get the Pieces of a Man analogy? I think that Pieces of a Man is better than 50's GRODT, but GRODT is a classic and POM isn't. See how that works?

I'm telling you that impact is a big factor in what albums are and aren't classic. Impact or popularity isn't the end all be all, but an album isn't a classic unless people cared about it. Again, quality is subjective. So no, vol2 isn't better than RD just because it did better commercially. The impact of vol2 does make it a classic though. Regardless of what you personally feel about the quality of vol2, that album defines a specific time in hiphop. That album has songs that resonated with the masses. That album has classic records that still are being played today, 14 years later. That's how you define classics. I'll ask you again, what makes Lost Tapes a classic besides your personal opinion or the personal opinion of Nas fans?