So NAS got 4 classics

Gravity

Banned
Daps
So now the coli ain't hip-hop? :leon:
Dont do that. I'm speaking plain English. If you need help comprehendin then just ask. You know you've got 'em when they start trying to spin yours, purposely trying to misconstrue what you've said.

54f35755e98d8a7a11911350d579bd8ed033c6a.gif

You're not getting a W off this.You been caught the L son. All the smileys and gifs makes it look like you're trying real hard too.

You've had 2 posters explain to you how the Lost Tapes "stood out" and "impacted the game"--metrics from your purportedly objective standard for determining a classic. And you've just dismissed this by labeling us as "fanboys."
No, all you 2 did was give me your personal opinions for why you think it's a great album. I've asked you several times to make an argument that has nothing to do with your personal opinion for why it's a classic, and you've failed.

A critical flaw in this kind of rebuttal is that nothing can really be a classic then. You would somehow have to divorce your affinity for an artist from you appreciation of an album. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not realistic. I don't know how you do that. Most people that like albums and hail them as classics end up liking the artists that make said albums.This isn't true either man. I can list several examples of classic albums that meet the standard that I posted, and explain why they're classic without using my personal opinions to justify the claims. I've already done it with vol2.

Your definition of a classic is ever-evolving. :thumbsdown:Yea right, sure. I don't see an explanation for why it's "ever-evolving". You're good at these weak little cop outs.

For the record, people who like Nas don't only like Nas. I like Nas but I also like Jay-Z, 2Pac, Biggie, Scarface, Snoop, Kendrick Lamar, Bone, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Ye, Lupe, Common, ATCQ, Drake, Outkast, Mobb Deep, Budden, Em, KRS, UGK, Eightball & MJG, TI, Wayne, AZ, Cube, Killer Mike, Ross, Game, etc.I don't doubt any of this. I'm not even trying to disrespect you my man. My point is this, LT is not a classic album because it didn't resonate to anyone but Nas fans. Of course you Nas fans think its a great album and all that, but that doesn't make it a classic. Classics resonate with more than an artist's core fan base.

Everything Nas has done is not a classic.LT in particular

The classics from his discography, in my opinion, include illmatic, IWW, Stillmatic, and Lost Tapes. If I'm introducing someone to hip-hop, I'll include these as some albums they should consider listening to. I can respect this, but this still doesn't make LT a classic. You mentioned IWW and Stillmatic, and I could make an case for both of those albums being classic without giving my personal opinion of the quality of either album. Both of those albums resonated with the masses to a certain extent. Those albums made an impact on the game and reached fans outside of Nas's core. There are cuts played from both of those albums that mark the time in which they came out, and are still played to this day. LT just doesn't meet that standard my man.

LIG might be there. It's too soon for me to have an opinion on whether or not I think it's a classic. I don't think it is completely ridiculous that some people are hailing it as classic, though. After all, a classic is largely determined by the substantial collection of subjective opinions that the album is damn good, stands out, marks a period of time, and/or makes an impact on the game. :shaq:Let me say this, I say "fanboy" but it's not that serious of a dis to me. I give fans or fanboys respect as long as they are reasonable. Better to be an appreciator than a hater anyday. This site is for showing appreciation. I don't have a problem with Nas fans jumping the gun calling every album that he releases a classic or the way that that they overrate everything that he does, as long as they don't have a problem with me when I disagree. It's funny even typing "they" when referring to Nas fans because Im a fan too. I just can't group myself in with the Internet contingent. Im a Nas fan but not a fanboy.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
5/5. I've seen rakim 89, krs-1 91, whodini 87, Pac 94, PE 91, Ice Cube 90. They've all been and gone, but Nas is still here. King of Kings in this rap thing.

Nas is a freaking genius.

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
Event Staff Correctional Facility
I can respect this, but this still doesn't make LT a classic. You mentioned IWW and Stillmatic, and I could make an case for both of those albums being classic without giving my personal opinion of the quality of either album. Both of those albums resonated with the masses to a certain extent. Those albums made an impact on the game and reached fans outside of Nas's core. There are cuts played from both of those albums that mark the time in which they came out, and are still played to this day. LT just doesn't meet that standard my man.

Let me say this, I say "fanboy" but it's not that serious of a dis to me. I give fans or fanboys respect as long as they are reasonable. Better to be an appreciator than a hater anyday. This site is for showing appreciation. I don't have a problem with Nas fans jumping the gun calling every album that he releases a classic or the way that that they overrate everything that he does, as long as they don't have a problem with me when I disagree. It's funny even typing "they" when referring to Nas fans because Im a fan too. I just can't group myself in with the Internet contingent. Im a Nas fan but not a fanboy.

:manny:

Probably just have to agree to disagree since our definition of classic doesn't completely overlap. Definitely have no problem with you not thinking it's a classic.

You made some good points, though. For example, I can probably agree with your assessment of IWW and Stillmatic, compared to Lost Tapes.

I consider myself a huge Nas fan, but I wouldn't say I'm a Nas fanboy/stan. He's my favorite rapper, but I don't think he's had a perfect run by any stretch.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
:manny:

Probably just have to agree to disagree since our definition of classic doesn't completely overlap. Definitely have no problem with you not thinking it's a classic.

You made some good points, though. For example, I can probably agree with your assessment of IWW and Stillmatic, compared to Lost Tapes.

I consider myself a huge Nas fan, but I wouldn't say I'm a Nas fanboy/stan. He's my favorite rapper, but I don't think he's had a perfect run by any stretch.
Respect. For the record, I think LT is dope shyt. I had already been rocking with a few of those joints prior to them being released on that album, but it's definitely an ill compilation. Doo Rags is my joint.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, his reasoning for trying to say that LT is a classic is all about his personal opinion too.

Nah, actually I explained the significance of the album in regards to it being a classic because what it represents in regards to nas as an artist. Just like Here My Dere and RD are classics for what they show us about the artist, but weren't commercially successful or game changers. I also used the example of it getting an XXL rating (which you conveniently ignored) to show you that it is not just a small group of fans who consider it a classic. It is held very highly within hip-hop standards.

All the complaints about the commercialized direction nas had taken could not be applied to Lost Tapes. It is a stand alone work of art that was hand selected by nas as a gift to his fans. trying to argue that it is not classic status is a worthless pursuit. Thats like arguing Black Dynamite is not a classic because it didn't do well at the box office, sometimes the masses overlook great works of art and sometimes that art gains a great following.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
Nah, actually I explained the significance of the album in regards to it being a classic because what it represents in regards to nas as an artist. Just like Here My Dere and RD are classics for what they show us about the artist, but weren't commercially successful or game changers. I also used the example of it getting an XXL rating (which you conveniently ignored) to show you that it is not just a small group of fans who consider it a classic. It is held very highly within hip-hop standards.

All the complaints about the commercialized direction nas had taken could not be applied to Lost Tapes. It is a stand alone work of art that was hand selected by nas as a gift to his fans. trying to argue that it is not classic status is a worthless pursuit. Thats like arguing Black Dynamite is not a classic because it didn't do well at the box office, sometimes the masses overlook great works of art and sometimes that art gains a great following.
You gave a personal opinion of what you think that the "album" means to Nas as an artist. There's no comparison between LT and RD, sorry. RD was commercially successful. It went Gold the 1st year in the strength of a non commercial single, and parlayed Jay Z to a deal with Def Jam. RD certainly meets the standard that I layed out. It stood out, made an impact in the game, and has songs in which marked the time but are still played today. LT doesn't meet that standard. I see you trying to spin it but, nah. I ignored you bringing up what XXL said because I don't care what they said. Contrary to what they tell you, classics aren't determined by writers for hiphop magazines. That whole "5mics" "XXL" thin is a gimmick used to sell mags man. There's always been politics/corruption involved in those mic ratings/reviews. I didn't need the Source to tell me that RD, Doggystyle, Cuban Linx, RTD, ect. were 5mics.

You seem confused. Nas wasn't being criticized for being too commercial when he released LT. That was the 1 of the criticisms that he had to deal with back in '98-99 when he crafted some of those songs, but LT was released in '02. By then was back to being Nas instead of Esco. He had just had that battle with Jay Z, the guy who was being criticized for being too commercial. Diehard Nas fans always feel the need to be extra. You're also misrepresenting my argument. My definition of a classic is not all about commercial success. I've layed the standard out several times, you can back and read it if you need to. Where's the evidence that LT has meant anything to anybody other than Nas fans? Its not about me trying to take something from you here. I'm not wasting my time I'm simply stating my case. You can run around calling LT a classic all you want to, won't bother me. I simply disagree for reasons already stated.

coose

Pro
Daps
Reppin
The Archives
Lost Taps (2002) (Classic Rated)
In its 2007 issue, XXL included The Lost Tapes in its list of "classic" albums to be given the publication's maximum "XXL" rating

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I think in the case of the Lost Tapes, that is more a personal classic than a classic in the most technical sense. I think that the Lost Tapes fleshed out Nas's catalogue nicely because he was seen as a commercialized version of himself (which I think he remedied in Stillmatic, imo). So while I do not think it's a true classic, I could understand the argument that people make for it's inclusion. I do think that the tracks have stood the test of time though in the sense that they do not sound dated in the least. I just think that it's overall impact reverberates more with Nas fans than the hip-hop community as a whole.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Definitely not. Just didn't seem worth it to argue, anymore. You were saying shyt like his lyrics could've been better. But then you couldn't point out what was wrong with them. Can't have a debate with someone arguing like that.

:why: mate, i already said he got lazy with his flow and lyrics at points, that should be enough as far as i'm concerned. You never asked me specifically to point out what was wrong with the lyrics (tbf, I skimmed your posts cos this 'debate' was fack all important to me past a couple :pachaha: so you could've :manny:)

The short of it is, go away mate, its getting kinda awkward now...discussion long dead :ld:

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
Event Staff Correctional Facility
:why: mate, i already said he got lazy with his flow and lyrics at points, that should be enough as far as i'm concerned. You never asked me specifically to point out what was wrong with the lyrics (tbf, I skimmed your posts cos this 'debate' was fack all important to me past a couple :pachaha: so you could've :manny:)

The short of it is, go away mate, its getting kinda awkward now...discussion long dead :ld:

nikka, you upped the thread :rudy:

fukk outta here acting like your saying silly shyt that you can't justify is keeping me awake at night :bryan: