So NAS got 4 classics

Gravity

Banned
Daps
Definition is more coherent, no question about that. :obama: But...My definition hasnt changes and it's been coherent from the gate.

Who are the hip-hop masses? Is it: the casual listener? the person who only listens to rap? people who actually buy rap music? people of all races? people who live in big cities?Hip Hop masses=Hip Hop fans

How many make up the hip-hop masses? Is it: 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? 10,000,000?how much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

What percentage of the hip-hop masses does it take to proclaim something as a classic? Is it: 10%? 25%? 50%? 90%? 100%?Youre playing yourself with these dumb questions, trying to be obtuse. You got the point. Classic albums are one's that resonate with the masses. LIT isn't such an album. It resonates with Nas fans which is why you can't make an argument for why it's a classic other than stating your personal opinion of how good it is.

And finally, why are you limiting it to the "hip-hop masses" and not just the "general masses" if something is truly a "classic"?because we are talking about hip hop, that's why.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but these seem like legitimate questions. :skip:no need to apologize to me, you're playing yourself. At least you can recognize and be honest about what you're doing. They aren't legit questions, they're dumb questions that you're only asking in an attempt to duck a point that you clearly see.

See up in here's response. Maybe he does a better job of arguing why Lost Tapes is a classic. It's a little more tailored to your definition of what is a classic.Nah, his reasoning for trying to say that LT is a classic is all about his personal opinion too.

If someone told me illmatic wasn't a classic, I wouldn't trip. I would give them the :comeon:exactly, and you'd give them that look because Illmatic is a classic album regardless of there being people out here who personally dont like it. I'm quite sure that there are a lot of fans who dont like Illmatic or are just indifferent to it. That doesn't change the fact that it's considered a hiphop classic by the culture. Those dumb questions you say that you'd pose just proves that you don't take that position seriously. Kinda how I don't take your position that LT is a classic seriously. Im giving you the same :comeon: look that you'd give someone who would say that Illmatic isn't a classic.

What do you think of Eminem then? Or other rappers (Kanye, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne) who have been commercially successful among audiences that are decidedly "pop"?I don't care about Eminem. Kanye, Jay, and Wayne are all popular amongst the hiphop crowd as well as being popular amongst the pop crowd.

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
Event Staff Correctional Facility
Something, something, something, Lost Tapes is not a classic, imo.

:ohhh: I know what to do now. :smugfavre:

Me: So you don't think the Lost Tapes is classic hip-hop record?

You: :no:

Me: :comeon: Have you heard the Lost Tapes?

You: <<Fill in the blank>>

Me: What is a classic album to you then?

You: Classic albums are simply defined as albums that stand out, mark a period of time, and have made an impact on the game according to the hip-hop masses.

Me: What are some examples of classic albums?

You: GRODT, In My Lifetime Vol. 2 <<Any more>>

Me: What are your top 5 rap albums?

You: <<Fill in the blank>>

:lolbron:

Not even trying to play myself either. I'm dead serious about you filling in an answer to these spaces. :birdman: Then we can keep it moving because it's obvious we aren't seeing eye to eye on this. :takedat:

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
Or better yet, why don't we make a poll and leave it to our coli brethren to decide whether the Lost Tapes is a classic album. After all, they represent the hip-hop masses. Definitely not all "fanboys" of Nas. We can finally put this to bed about whether or not Lost Tapes resonates with the masses.

fukk it, put your coli cash up. :shaq: ALL OF IT. :birdman: Mods can set up a bet between us. We can leave the voting open for a week.

If the majority of the board thinks Lost Tapes is classic, I get all your coli cash. :youngsabo:

If the majority of the board thinks it's not a classic...:russ:

Put your money where your mouth is.

:ufdup:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
looks like the Gnauz stans have made their way here from sohh

Dog it seems like too many Nas stans didn't go to college or have jobs with mail addresses :flabbynsick:
Cause the headcount on here could probably be enough stans to fill up a small venue.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2 types of classics. Classics that transcend their demographic, and ones that are classics to die hards. Nas got 2 transcendent classics to me, Illmatic and Life Is Good( I am confident this will be considered a classic as time passes). His other classics are really only to Nas die hards. IWW, Lost Tapes, Stillmatic. I don't think any of those albums transcended hip hop, a lot of them got crappy reviews when they came out. I love them though, but then I am the target audience.

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
Or better yet, why don't we make a poll and leave it to our coli brethren to decide whether the Lost Tapes is a classic album. After all, they represent the hip-hop masses. Definitely not all "fanboys" of Nas. We can finally put this to bed about whether or not Lost Tapes resonates with the masses.

fukk it, put your coli cash up. :shaq: ALL OF IT. :birdman: Mods can set up a bet between us. We can leave the voting open for a week.

If the majority of the board thinks Lost Tapes is classic, I get all your coli cash. :youngsabo:

uh oh

coose

Pro
Daps
Reppin
The Archives
This is why I felt like his discography is way more solid than some people think. Not saying its a flawless classic after classic selection, but there's something there for everyone to like. In that respect I think its a top 10 discography.

:obama:Exactly alot of people talking out there ass and trying to pass there opinions as facts, just cause you post it 2000 times its still just your opinion, but the facts are when you look at the overall critical response to most of his albums they are in good to great standing to this day and alot of the shyt some of yall dont think is classic alot of people consider classic, if you don't like it then you don't like but there are obviously alot of people that do critics and regular people.

Gravity

Banned
Daps

Yes, like I don't know that this site is a rest haven for Nas fanboys. The only other fan base here that can rival the Nas fans are the Kobe Bryant fanboys. That makes sense though because it's basically the same people. This site does not represent the hiphop masses, if it did then Nas would be the most popular and respected rapper in the game. With all the Nas fanboys here plus their countless aliases, I'm sure that any poll asking whether LT is a classic or not would be one-sided for "yes". Guess what though, it's still not a classic.

I'm still waiting on an argument that has nothing to do with your personal opinion for the album being a classic. What, you can't do it? Just take the L and keep it moving then.

iPod Raheem 2.0

D, mother****er, D.
Daps
Reppin
Yes, like I don't know that this site is a rest haven for Nas fanboys. The only other fan base here that can rival the Nas fans are the Kobe Bryant fanboys. That makes sense though because it's basically the same people. This site does not represent the hiphop masses, if it did then Nas would be the most popular and respected rapper in the game. With all the Nas fanboys here plus their countless aliases, I'm sure that any poll asking whether LT is a classic or not would be one-sided for "yes". Guess what though, it's still not a classic.

I'm still waiting on an argument that has nothing to do with your personal opinion for the album being a classic. What, you can't do it? Just take the L and keep it moving then.

So now the coli ain't hip-hop? :leon:

54f35755e98d8a7a11911350d579bd8ed033c6a.gif

You're not getting a W off this.

You've had 2 posters explain to you how the Lost Tapes "stood out" and "impacted the game"--metrics from your purportedly objective standard for determining a classic. And you've just dismissed this by labeling us as "fanboys." A critical flaw in this kind of rebuttal is that nothing can really be a classic then. You would somehow have to divorce your affinity for an artist from you appreciation of an album. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not realistic. I don't know how you do that. Most people that like albums and hail them as classics end up liking the artists that make said albums.

Your definition of a classic is ever-evolving. :thumbsdown:

For the record, people who like Nas don't only like Nas. I like Nas but I also like Jay-Z, 2Pac, Biggie, Scarface, Snoop, Kendrick Lamar, Bone, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Ye, Lupe, Common, ATCQ, Drake, Outkast, Mobb Deep, Budden, Em, KRS, UGK, Eightball & MJG, TI, Wayne, AZ, Cube, Killer Mike, Ross, Game, etc.

Everything Nas has done is not a classic.

The classics from his discography, in my opinion, include illmatic, IWW, Stillmatic, and Lost Tapes. If I'm introducing someone to hip-hop, I'll include these as some albums they should consider listening to.

LIG might be there. It's too soon for me to have an opinion on whether or not I think it's a classic. I don't think it is completely ridiculous that some people are hailing it as classic, though. After all, a classic is largely determined by the substantial collection of subjective opinions that the album is damn good, stands out, marks a period of time, and/or makes an impact on the game. And there seems to be more than a few people who feel that way about the album. :shaq: