So Mariah Carey is a field slave in 'The Butler'

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
I feel very uncomfortable seeing a modern movie about African slavery.

If it's done right, I don't see the problem.

But THAT'S the problem....it's NEVER done right.....or the stories we NEED to see (e.g., Nat Turner) will never get made.

Anyway, the only problem with this is the historical inaccuracy....I'm sure on SOME plantations there were light-skinned Blacks working in the field, but c'mon....Mariah Carey is the WRONG person to cast in that role because she barely off eggshell white her DAMN self.

Mr.Black

An Honest Man
Daps
I still dont believe she's black, I need motherfukking pictures of her momma and daddy and birth certificates and shyt

that is a white woman, she's built like a white woman and sounds like a white woman

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
People would rather mixed people have no identity than claim one, if you claim black, you are too light, fukk the one drop rule. If you claim white, you c00nin, or lightskin people think they better.

So basically claim nothing and be ambiguous and have no culture. fukk outta here with that shyt.

...personally, I agree. I think people of mixed ethnicity should be allowed to SAY "hey, I'm both." Because they ARE. Making them choose one or the other is unfair and selfish.

Especially Black people. (I believe it was Chris Rock who) said it best, Black people LOVE to claim somebody who's even a LITTLE Black, and we get extra TERRITORIAL with it (the Black community has done that with Mariah, AND with Tiger Woods before all his drama). And if the person DENIES their Black heritage, we diss and drop them SWIFTLY out of sheer outrage. :heh:

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas

...personally, I agree. I think people of mixed ethnicity should be allowed to SAY "hey, I'm both." Because they ARE. Making them choose one or the other is unfair and selfish.

Especially Black people. (I believe it was Chris Rock who) said it best, Black people LOVE to claim somebody who's even a LITTLE Black, and we get extra TERRITORIAL with it (the Black community has done that with Mariah, AND with Tiger Woods before all his drama). And if the person DENIES their Black heritage, we diss and drop them SWIFTLY out of sheer outrage. :heh:

The same way I agree, some may say "Hey Im both", I also agree that lets say a mixed person is raised in a white environment can say "I'm white", or a black environment "I'm black". Thats what makes a person relatable, their culture and upbringing.

I don't see this divide between other mixed races, or maybe I don't notice. Does a white/chinese mixed kid go thru this? Blasians get praise, and ohhh they exotic... Let that same Blasian go to China/Korea/Taiwan.... they don't relate with them.

People tryna make outcasts and pariahs out of other mixed people sometimes.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
The same way I agree, some may say "Hey Im both", I also agree that lets say a mixed person is raised in a white environment can say "I'm white", or a black environment "I'm black". Thats what makes a person relatable, their culture and upbringing.[/i]

Oh, no doubt.

My bigger issue is with people trying to dictate TO persons of mixed ethnicity that they NEED to "pick a side". If they do so on their own, no problem. But people shouldn't be pressuring them into roles they're not comfortable or familiar with. Like you said, if a mixed kid grew up in suburbia with a "white" upbringing, allow that kid to identify with what he/she is comfortable with.

People tryna make outcasts and pariahs out of other mixed people sometimes.

You're right about that. Society got it twisted when it comes to that, but then again that shouldn't be surprising seeing as how American society in general is STILL unable to deal with the race issue.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
she's black. stop hating on your own kind. we need all the help we can get as a people. if someone wants to identify as black, they have every right to do, especially if they clearly looked mixed with black - which she does. black people, we need unity.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
she's black. stop hating on your own kind. we need all the help we can get as a people. if someone wants to identify as black, they have every right to do, especially if they clearly looked mixed with black - which she does. black people, we need unity.
I'm 1/16th black, do I have every right to identify as such?

DarlingNikki

lil baby
Daps
Reppin
Puerta Medusa.
I hate Hollywood, wish I could spit on the person who casted her. This bytch is only black for pay, her ugly ass denies it any other time. What a joke.