So Kendricks album came and went without making an impact

Dray

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
90% my own head, 10% reality.
the people that hate kendrick/the album seem to be the most obsessed with it. crazy how the world works

why is it weird? People rarely congregate to praise something over which they all agree. That'd be redundant and conversations would be dead. Put up a negative/anti status quo message and that will spark the embers of sustained conversation.

obviously the opinionated, thoughtful people will have a lot to say about tpab because its a joke that people born in the late 90s early 00s can all get in on.

Kufismack

In Beats We Trust
Daps
Reppin
Religion is dumb b
Yeah TPAB can't hold shyt to GKMC. I'm surprised this thread is here though. I thought people would be eating that shyt up on thecoli. All that pseudo black militant bullshyt lmao.

Meanwhile Ludaversal lyrically destroying TPAB.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
That post is asinine breh.:mjlol: Kendrick is the best story teller of the new school. That kind of definitive positive statement about him might burn some people's eyes, but it's true. No one in today's hiphop climate tells stories like he does. S 80 is a story. GKMC is a story. TPAB is a metaphor and a story. Kendrick doesn't wish he was goddamn Lil B, he's his own artist.

The voice changes are Kendrick playing different characters. On Intitutionalized he was one of his homies. He was Lucifer on one track. A younger version of himself on Hood Politics. It's just to show the different perspectives on what's happening. And sort of enhances the music for me personally. I can see why it'd annoy someone though. :yeshrug:

I'm not talking about the new school, I'm talking about HH in general. Does he tell stories like Biggie or Gza did? Since some are claiming that the album is a classic, those are the guys I'm comparing him to. And in no shape or form does he touch that level imo. Unfortunately when I keep seeing 10 articles a day about Kendrick on my FB feed, the anticipation is higher. So that's not really on him but rather on the hype machine/media.

That being said, even detached from that I just can't get into it. That helium voice is horrendous to me, and I personnaly don't think telling a story from different perspectives means you have to change your voice, if your story is tight enough people will get it. Seems like a gimmick to me. To each his own though. I listened to Section 80 a whole lot, but it took me like a year to manage to listen to all of GKMC. Now I managed to listen to TPAB in a month. Maybe by next album I'll be a fan again :dead:

Daps
I'm not talking about the new school, I'm talking about HH in general. Does he tell stories like Biggie or Gza did? Since some are claiming that the album is a classic, those are the guys I'm comparing him to. And in no shape or form does he touch that level imo. Unfortunately when I keep seeing 10 articles a day about Kendrick on my FB feed, the anticipation is higher. So that's not really on him but rather on the hype machine/media.

That being said, even detached from that I just can't get into it. That helium voice is horrendous to me, and I personnaly don't think telling a story from different perspectives means you have to change your voice, if your story is tight enough people will get it. Seems like a gimmick to me. To each his own though. I listened to Section 80 a whole lot, but it took me like a year to manage to listen to all of GKMC. Now I managed to listen to TPAB in a month. Maybe by next album I'll be a fan again :dead:
nikka, How much a dollar cost, The Art of Peer Preassure, SingAboutMe/Dying of Thirst, Keisha song.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
When has positivity sold shyt in rap?

Your hanging your hat on this small handful of positive rappers who's career peaked when rap music was actually selling. most of the acts you named have NO fanbase present day.

Shifting_Goalpost.gif

Common Kendrick Lamar fan dance.

Look at the list of all-time selling albums. How many of those would you consider gangsta rap? Half at most. You're gonna tell me that Beastie Boys, Hammer, Nelly, Outkast qualify as negative? Even Eminem isn't gangsta.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/...albums-time-eminem-tupac-shakur-notorious.htm

If you weren't so busy dancing, you'd see my obvious point. People don't like Kendrick Lamar - not because he's 'positive' and we're too stupid to embrace 'positivity'. They don't like him because he's a shyt hip hop artist. When will you stans wake up and realize the obvious?

Besides, only children put music in 'positive' 'negative' categories. What matters most in music is the artistry and emotional resonance, not the 'message'. Messages are nice, and I always welcome then, but you gotta actually know how to make music that moves me for a lasting period of time. Otherwise, write a book. Preach in the streets. Don't be disingenuous.

Besides, all the greatest rap albums contain positive messages and important meanings embedded in them.

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX

The post we're talking about is comparing Kendrick to newer artists mostly, so that's what I addressed. He suggests that Kendrick doesn't do anything well, I say he tells stories well.

Y'all get too caught up in hype machine is a part of the problem too. Reading all that dikk sucking is making people want to say negative shyt just to be different. I haven't read a single review for this, and after TPAB, I doubt I ever will read a review again. Listen and form your own opinion, and I'm not just talking to you anymore. To each his own though breh.

Can we agree that How Much a Dollar Cost is a damn good story though?

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This album was average, regurgitated, trying too hard to be something in the vain of Nas, who didn't just spit words, who actually went to Africa to study. That's what got to me about the album. Dude tried too hard. One or two tracks better than the rest and that's it. That's the truth.

I will say thats my feeling on the album,not that Nas sincerity cant be questioned just as much as Kendricks if thats what your getting at:comeon:....But i do think its a try hard album on every facet,i havent liked lup for much of the same reason,concept songs about cheeseburgers:childplease:....but at least lupe is dope lyrically where you can enjoy him for the lyrical display alone.

I will say Nas should be his blueprint,he should be more worried about bringing new and dope concepts to the table,being lyrical and straight foward,bringing dope stories to life....this is the shyt that Kendrick shines at...him worrying about using funny voices and deliverys,trying to make a album that doesnt sound hiphop to seem artsy all screams "try hard" and it just didnt work....i think alot of these artist are dope but justwont stay in they wheelhouse of what they do well.

But if your talking about the absence of wittiness and charisma as a knock on Kendrick im pretty sure your listening to Kendrick wrong....everybody knows what Kndrick is best at and he gotta figure that out himself and stick with it....fukk growth,its never worked well for 99% of the rappers who tried to "grow"..

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
Thats the problem with people like you and haters in this thread. Only females and fakkits care about image.

Kendrick made an album for Compton. He made an album for his people.

I'll be the first to admit there are no standout singles. But it obvious Kendricks purpose was to make a great album first and foremost.

And he did exactly that. Fuk a hit single. Give me a classic album. I'll take that over a couple.of hot singles any day of the week.

Most of you have horrible taste in music anyways. So it doesn't suprise me that TPAB goes over your heads.

You guys have the music ear of a 10 year old

Fuk outta here

:what:
Did you not read what I wrote? nikka I been listening to Kendrick album everyday since it came out! I bump underground and mainstream music but I was speaking from a mainstream HipHop fan point of view. You need that image to get far in the mainstream. I know it's fukked up but it's true.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
nikka, How much a dollar cost, The Art of Peer Preassure, SingAboutMe/Dying of Thirst, Keisha song.

How much a dollar cost is a good song, but ain't nothing breathtaking to me breh :yeshrug:

Aren't the other songs on GKMC? I thought THIS album was full of great story-telling. The Art is cool too, but it doesn't hit me like "Wow, man, that shyt was crazy".

Keisha song is on Section 80, and I already said I'm a fan of that album. And, not a coincidence, he's not doing any of his gremlin voice rapping or rushing words on some pseudo spoken-word "flow".

The post we're talking about is comparing Kendrick to newer artists mostly, so that's what I addressed. He suggests that Kendrick doesn't do anything well, I say he tells stories well.

Y'all get too caught up in hype machine is a part of the problem too. Reading all that dikk sucking is making people want to say negative shyt just to be different. I haven't read a single review for this, and after TPAB, I doubt I ever will read a review again. Listen and form your own opinion, and I'm not just talking to you anymore. To each his own though breh.

Can we agree that How Much a Dollar Cost is a damn good story though?

Fair enough, but for me people are putting TPAB on the classic pedestal, so he's not just being put up against Chief Keef or Earl. That's the level at which I situate my comparison.
I've listened and formed my own opinion, just as I did with Section 80 (great mixtape) and GKMC (which I struggled to even finish, even though I went back to it various well after the hype had passed). But since he's being heralded as a saviour or the "new Pac" (:pachaha:) obviously people will either agree or disagree, kind of hard being neutral with such claims being made.

As in the above post, How much a dollar cost is a good story, but nothing extraordinary TO ME :yeshrug:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shifting_Goalpost.gif

Common Kendrick Lamar fan dance.

Look at the list of all-time selling albums. How many of those would you consider gangsta rap? Half at most. You're gonna tell me that Beastie Boys, Hammer, Nelly, Outkast qualify as negative? Even Eminem isn't gangsta.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/...albums-time-eminem-tupac-shakur-notorious.htm

somehow the criteria of positive/negative have switched to gangsta and non gangsta rap and the criteria has narrowed to a 10 album list of best sellers. but I'm the one moving the goalposts.:francis:

Not to mention there's maybe 3 positive-ish albums on that list and I'm only counting the Hammer and Beastie boys albums cause I never heard them. Nelly rapped about trapping and shooting, Em raps psychotic pillhead raps mentioning killing loved ones and not attending his mothers funeral. C'mon yo.

ps Did you realize that you've been using decade old albums to tell me how one of 2 current positive albums are nothing special.

If you weren't so busfy dancing, you'd see my obvious point. People don't like Kendrick Lamar - not because he's 'positive' and we're too stupid to embrace 'positivity'. They don't like him because he's a shyt hip hop artist. When will you stans wake up and realize the obvious?

But people do like Kendrick and it isn't deniable. you just sounding like a hater tbh.

Besides, only children put music in 'positive' 'negative' categories. What matters most in music is the artistry and emotional resonance, not the 'message'. Messages are nice, and I always welcome then, but you gotta actually know how to make music. Otherwise, write a book. Preach in the streets. Don't be disingenuous.

Besides, all the greatest rap albums contain positive messages and important meanings embedded in them.

If you cant find artistry in TPAB (even if it didn't move you) Idk what to tell you.:yeshrug: guess I shoulda wrote you off at the neg rep and lil b stannage like everyone else

Last edited:

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How in the hell is this album genre-blending? Because it sounds like nothing that's out today?

That's the only criticism I can't wrap my head around.

It's basically some new age native tongues type shyt.