So I finally listened to Ice Cube's Death Certificate front to back!

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
classic album...I feel awkward discussing it w/ a white guy tho...truly no disrespect...just how I feel...and ya for me ‘bird in the hand’ was the best cut off the album

as for the vibe...during the late 80s/very early 90s...there was a lot of consciousness in hip hop...cube somewhat moved from the gangster shyt to being more “woke” (the term is cliched but I’m using it for lack of a better phrase)...I want to say he even had ties w/ the nation back then if memory serves me correct...it was in the music...in the attire (african medallions etc.) and in a lot of movies that dropped during the early 90s as well...the music/culture took a major shift tho toward gangster music en masse...especially on the east coast (it was already prevalent on the west)

Last edited:

Crumple

All Star
Daps
better late than never

you peep BDP/:krs:'s shyt?
Public Enemy?
Paris?

I never completely heard Criminal Minded.
I do love 9mm, Bridge is over and South Bronx.

What are the best BDP albums?

Also I heard most Krs albums. He stays in my top 3. Permanent spot.

I never got into PE even tho my Dad came home one day and randomly bought me the Bumrush the show cassette.

What are PE's best albums?

I know of Paris. Not familiar with his music.

His best albums?

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One of my top 3-5 albums in rap

And his best album. Cube is a G.O.A.T. who is getting overlooked in time.

As much as I love Cube though I've always had a hard time digesting Americas most wanted. I didn't like him over bomb squad. :manny:

I listen from Kill at Will EP then jump right to Death Certificated.

yeah its a profoundly overrated album, I even prefer Predator over it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Pegasus Jackson I gave it a thorough listen. My findings:
- he mentioned tattooed tears in 1991
- classic beats - I mean CLASSIC BEATS!
- " Scandalous bytches make for happy feds" - holy shyt! Again 1991
- giving up the nappy dugout - warning to everyone - don't wife a problem girl
- themes of safe sex
- actually happy, cool sounding record
- smart, truthful with what to really deal with
- motivating
- true to the game - talks some serious business...in fukking '91!
- "died young doing dumb shyt" - fukking Cube man

Bird in the hand is about working hard - not being able to find a decent paying job.
Looking for a break - talking cocaine.

This may sound stupid but I want clarification if someone can confirm.

Was "bird in the hand is better than a bush"
A direct metaphor essentially flipping that quote and stating making it big with a "bird" - kilo of cocaine - is better than dealing with what "Bush" - as in George Bush - the presiding President at that time - is giving us? - is that what was accepted as what he meant?
the album insert / sleeve

is one of the iconic hip hop iimages
represents the two sides of the album
death and life

90897ef8cb1bfb1a633fd9608b0724aa.1000x1000x1.jpg

* and yes, we commented about the skin color differences between the men representing positivity and negativity.....when we saw it

as far as the bird in the hand.....he flipped the old saying......AND the last verse on the song LITERALLY says exactly what you interpretted the song to mean

cause we don't want to drug push
but a bird in the hand is worth more than a Bush

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
Thread reminded me of the guy who does reaction/reviews of classic rap tracks from the 80,90s,2000s on YouTube, forgot his name the first one was Mobb deeps shook ones, People will know who I mean, He’d never listened to, Pac, Nas, etc

You should make a thread like this for album reviews or whatever like you have here

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
classic album...I feel awkward discussing it w/ a white guy tho...truly no disrespect...just how I feel...and ya for me ‘bird in the hand’ was the best cut off the album

as for the vibe...during the late 80s/very early 90s...there was a lot of consciousness in hip hop...cube somewhat moved from the gangster shyt to being more “woke” (the term is cliched but I’m using it for lack of a better phrase)...I want to say he even had ties w/ the nation back then if memory serves me correct...it was in the music...in the attire (african medallions etc.) and in a lot of movies that dropped during the early 90s as well...the music/culture took a major shift tho toward gangster music en masse...especially on the east coast (it was already prevalent on the west)
Op is cool. He gets a lot of flack on here for his passionate responses people think he is trolling but he's aight.

Crumple

All Star
Daps

I do admit I was bothered by alot of the anti white, and Korean references.

shyt actually hurts as a rap fan.

But the way I change it is this. Yes black America struggled in that era.

But I look at it now as anyone struggling.

Anyone in poverty - regardless of race.

In Predator - it's dope because he answers that directly sampling a news clip.

But I know it was meant for black culture and empowerment.

So I appologize if anything what I just said offends anyone.

I don't know or like talking about those things. Nor am I credible to.

I am a white rap fan. But know that my parents immigrated from a communist Yugoslavia in the 60s.

I related to rap - more because of classism.

When racism on any side comes out. shyt scares me. But in the end I do love hip hop.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Did anybody here buy Death Certificate when it dropped?

How was the vibe of that era?

Also same question for anyone in LA at the time.

Thank you.

I was in high school when this came out, so yeah I remember it. Paseo down on 19th and Summit in Kansas City, Missouri.

It was heavily anticipated #1 because it was Cube, and #2 it was rumored to have his response to NWA.

As far as the "vibe" of that era....nobody sat around like :ohhh:"look at all this classic shyt". It was considered normal. It was all we knew. But if you look back at 1991 alone....this album, Cypress Hill, Digital Underground, Ice-T, De La Soul, Black Sheep, AMG, DJ Quik, Geto Boys....and that's just off the top of my head....it's insane how much shyt came out in a relatively short time span. And not just that year, year after year all through out the 90's. And if I sat here and thought about it there's probably 10+ more albums that came out, that I can't remember right now.

Fred.