Snoop says fukk ROOTS, calls for boycott of show

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I'm African American. I have studied this and the only people who I've come across with your same belief are new blacks who have no understanding of black history. If you actually studied black history then you would know these movies don't even touch the tip of the iceberg and don't tell enough. What these blacks did during that time period and how they were subjected to abuse on all levels. I can not comprehend the levels of unfairness that these people have endured none of these movies do them any justice. Like I said before,these movies are tame compared to real history. If you looked at slaves as people and humans then you would want to know more about their stories. The slaves were not dumb or robots like history likes to protest. The black perspective during that time period is already a distorted one academically. If it wasn't for this Slave movies a lot of people wouldnt even know that blacks were enslaved. You know it's true.
Did you check it out last night?

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Why is Snoop talking about "yall.."? Calvin why dont you do the shyt yourself. Stop waiting for people to do shyt for you, If it bothers you instead of having "Snooper Vision" on Youtube invest in production companies yourself.

Stop being worried about making guest appearances on bullshyt shows like the Mike Tyson Mystery Show.

I hate having to speak common sense to nikkas 20 years older than me
Snoop never been socially conscious. He perpetuates negative stereotypes about blacks and never made uplifting music. fukk him.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
The fact of the matter is that we need to understand that this history should be a prevalent and constant reminder always for our sake and those of whites.

It serves as a tool to strive for what many have died for...it serves as a tool of constantly indicting white people who like say that we need to get over it. There are white people who think slavery didn't exist. We have seen schoolbooks turn slavery into a trade program of sorts where workers happily came on over from Africa for opportunity :troll:.

I don't think that from the perspective of film that it needs to be an "either/or" scenario. We need many more powerful and positive portrayals of black men and women on the big screen, both from a historical and contemporary/hypothetical perspective. Nonetheless, we can't be surprised that an industry predominately run by whites wouldn't see that as a priority. I don't get uncomfortable when I see a slave movie...angry and sad, yeah but not uncomfortable. What I don't fukk with is how movies crowbar white people as the savior in these movies, (i.e. Brad Pitt in 12 Years).

Hate him or love him Nasheed has proven that we have the resources to collectively pool together and support an industry of our own...maybe that's a start.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Snoop's the one with the problem, calling for the boycotting of shows that depict actual history due to it's brutal nature meanwhile enjoying the benefits of a long career filled with glamorizing a dysfunctional lifestyle that's inherently anti Black.

Snoop won't call for boycotts of songs and videos of Black people killing each other but it really bothers him that our actual history is shown on television.

:francis:

If you've paid attention he's been about positive black images for a while now.

And you can miss me with the Phonzie narrative:camby:

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
If you don't know your history you are bound to repeat it. For most young kids I know, slavery is just something that happened a long time ago. Let's not act like our history is being taught in school or most homes. It's not. I have no problem with the next generation getting a better picture of what happend vs. reading slavery was indentured workers in textbooks. So they can know what people went through and how strong they had to be.

It's not showing weakness, if anything it's strength. It's part of our history. Snoop is not one to talk at all.

get-over-slavery-meme.jpg
The first episode sparked some great conversations on twitter amongst younger Black folks

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Snoop has been a multimillionaire for 20-30 years. I dont wanna hear nothing from his ass about Hollywood and what they make. His rich ass ain't made chit.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
I know I know more than you on African American history. If you knew African American history you would know that its distorted. I have read books and primary sources from African American history. These movies are tame in comparison.

bro i dont care if you know more african murican history, we BORED of slavery shyt, blacks still going through hard times

wheres our 5 star block buster movie about stuff like black wallstreet? loads of positive moments from the past that can easily be made into movies and netfilx type series

you should probably go and count how many slavery movies/tv series their is and come back to the thread my g

you say these movies are tame, kool, but black people from all different types of places have some good stories that can make for a good postive movie

tl:dr WE DONT WANT MORE SLAVE TYPE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give us something different, all these "creative" writers and they still cant come up with something different and new

anyway

A black soldier returns from fighting for the Union in the Civil War only to find out that his mother has been murdered by a gang of white thugs. He becomes a bounty hunter, determined to track down and kill the men who killed his mother.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
The first episode sparked some great conversations on twitter amongst younger Black folks

Good. My family recorded it, we are going to watch it together. White people want us to stop talking about slavery all the time. Now we are too? How does that make sense? Now we are doing their work for them :why:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Good. My family recorded it, we are going to watch it together. White people want us to stop talking about slavery all the time. Now we are too? How does that make sense? Now we are doing their work for them :why:
You don't need a movie to talk about it.

Especially a movie made by white folks, that will fill their pockets with images of black suffering.

Um. Ghouls

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The climb
My god TLR is shyt.

How do you spin not wanting slave movies into craving white acceptance? Guess nikkas want self suffiency for white acceptance :troll:

Learn code for white acceptance :troll:

Uplift your people for white acceptance :troll:

People talkin' shyt about some stuff Snoop did 20 years ago :mjlol:

Obviously none of you have listened to him in the last decade :stopitslime:

@Matt504 you, and those who agree with you perpetuate a mindset of submission, endless 'self reflection' , and 'confronting the past' which is a bunch of new speak for never move forward.

Like some cacs. Black man says somethin positive and you wanna talk about some shyt he pulled 20 years ago

Raava

Staff member
Daps
You don't need a movie to talk about it.

Especially a movie made by white folks, that will fill their pockets with images of black suffering.

The Roots was done by Alex Haley. Black part of the production and producing. The point is people are more likely to watch TV than actually start a conversation. People are more likely to believe what they are told in school and watch TV than to do research themselves.

Any time any Black movie, music are any type of entertainment is done it is lining the pockets of white people. Hell almost anything you do. Are you watching TV, buying books, bying music, using a phone, using the computer, working for for anyone but yourself, buying groceries, getting gas, etc?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The Roots was done by Alex Haley. Black part of the production and producing. The point is people are more likely to watch TV than actually start a conversation. People are more likely to believe what they are told in school and watch TV than to do research themselves.

Any time any Black movie, music are any type of entertainment is done it is lining the pockets of white people. Hell almost anything you do. Are you watching TV, buying books, bying music, using a phone, using the computer, working for for anyone but yourself, buying groceries, getting gas, etc?
That's the OG movie not this history channel crap.

And the depictions in these movies are not fully accurate. If people are learning their history from a slave movie than that's more damaging than helpful.