Snoop says fukk ROOTS, calls for boycott of show

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Good shyt, I actually agree with Meeach about the overall theme of this thread but the fact that he contradicts himself by saying music that glorifies destructive/criminal behaviour has zero affect pretty much cancels out everything he's saying in this thread.

Dude is actually saying these movies are hurting the youths psyche while simultaneously defending music that promotes the destruction of the black community:dead:

This is why these kinds of threads are important, the observations we're able to make based on the posts are invaluable.

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Is Snoop mad about the show itself or the quantity/ratio of movies and shows being made based on those times?

quantity/ratio of movies.....

i personally wouldn't mind these movies but damn...... show at least or produce black movies where blacks have used their minds and not only their hands and not always on the opposite side of the dominant side...

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
quantity/ratio of movies.....

i personally wouldn't mind these movies but damn...... show at least or produce black movies where blacks have used their minds and not only their hands and not always on the opposite side of the dominant side...

django - 2012
12 years a slave - 2013
the book of negroes - 2015
underground - 2015
Roots - 2016
Birth of a nation - 2016

^^^ now before somebody says "that ain't shyt! that's just a few!"

please remember: hardly ANYTHING gets green lit for corporate backing in hollywood.
to put it in perspective, this movie with bradley cooper and jennifer lawrence came out in 2014 and got 0 love from hollywood and went straight to REDBOX
serenaB.jpg

you mean to tell me SLAVE narratives are getting more corporate love than a movie with two of the biggest stars in hollywood in it? :mindblown:

man enjoy those slave shows and movies, but understand there is definitely something going on to where they are pushing all these slave movies down our throats.

Last edited:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
There needs to be a balance. For every slave movie or civil rights movie there needs to be 2-4 movies based on ancient Africa or other stories showing black excellence. Slavery was a large part of the black experience and plays a large part of why we are in the position we are in 2016. I've read some books that talked about slavery and I've read some slave narratives and not one of these movies or tv shows has really shown the barbaric treatment and the white man's inhumanity towards us.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't of known there was a Roots remake. Since I don't watch TV and haven't in 8 years.

But why?
:dwillhuh:

It seems mad black folks been waking up, all I saw on my twitter TL yesterday was "fukk roots, I want to see Hidden Colors!" (BTW, thanks to the coli and Tariq I am now getting through Hidden Colors 1 - 3 and need to see 4)....and honest;y, black people aren't the ones fukking with these movies, white people love them...they love this shyt to reassert feelings of superiority over black folk even when they are absolutely mediocre, unimpressive, and inferior to everyone else on an individual level. I just like seeing people react to this on the internet without investing any time or effort into watching them.

fukk Roots.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I'm enjoying it. Whitaker and the dude who plays Kunta are great. Ended up killing the cracker that made him say his name was Toby

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I'm starting to get the sense that Roland Martin is an attention whore, he's going in on Snoop on twitter just for having an opinion. Snoop never told us to forget our history, he's just tired of slavery being the main image of our history. If some of these self righteous black folks already had Roots or Amistad in their video library then their kids wouldn't need the constant history lessons.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
django - 2012
12 years a slave - 2013
the book of negroes - 2015
underground - 2015
Roots - 2016
Birth of a nation - 2016

^^^ now before somebody says "that ain't shyt! that's just a few!"

please remember: hardly ANYTHING gets green lit for corporate backing in hollywood.
to put it in perspective, this movie with bradley cooper and jennifer lawrence came out in 2014 and got 0 love from hollywood and went straight to REDBOX
serenaB.jpg

you mean to tell me SLAVE narratives are getting more corporate love than a movie with two of the biggest stars in hollywood in it? :mindblown:

man enjoy those slave shows and movies, but understand there is definitely something going on to where they are pushing all these slave movies down our throats.

Yep, and I believe thats why you see so many entertainers coming out against what Snoop said. They know who feeds them and how they're fed. They're much more likely to get a role in a film about slavery, civil rights, oppression, etc., than any other genre. What Snoop is suggesting can make it difficult for them to get work they believe. Very few white actors and actresses find success in Hollywood, and even fewer Black actors and actresses. That said, they absolutely need more films on slavery, more Color Purples (i.e. The Butler, The Help), Selmas, etc..

The other aspect of it I think is you have is uppity Black entertainers with a bit of a Hotep complex who would seek to create their own version of Bollywood based on Black struggle. A couple interviews I read with folks taking a different position than Snoop basically said we need even more films on slavery as if there isnt enough. One Black broadway actress said Jews never complain about too many Holocaust films. Again though, thats the pompous mentality of certain Black folks in the entertainment industry. They're already politically liberal, and even more exact are mimicking their white liberal friends who view Black people as victims and nothing more. Its a narrative white liberals push, and Black entertainers participate in reinforcing.

I'm entirely with Snoop on this one.

Um. Ghouls

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The climb
If it's a checkmate, there's no point in me addressing it or do you not understand the mechanics of chess and just using words arbitrarily?

:pachaha:

How do you reconcile rap as an issue with (considerably) more violence during the disco age, answer the question:skip:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
How do you reconcile rap as an issue with (considerably) more violence during the disco age, answer the question:skip:

There was literally a crack cocaine and heroin epidemic during that era.