Since when was Relapse considered a good album?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
it was a good album. most of the beats were phenomenal.. mixing/mastering was on point...had a good cinematic feel to it

my darling is one of Em's best songs ever

Stay Wide Awake, Deja Vu, Medicine Ball, Hello,...the album had bangers man

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
:why:

Y'all not about to sit here and act like this some type of gem and that it took you years later to realize it :ufdup:

If you're actually a fan of Eminem, it's a great album. If you were never into him like that and were just comparing his sound to what was poppin in 2010 then it's whatever. People complained about the weird vocal inflections (then turned around and dikk rode Danny Brown and Kendrick for the same shyt) and the fact that a horror-core theme isn't really palatable for mainstream audience...but Relapse is a real live rap album. Probably my favorite from him because it easily has his best beat package and he's rhyming at a high level, though it's clearly not his artistic peak.

Last edited:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I do notice this, but He woulda got more love for it if it looked like this.

Careful What You Wish For
Dr West Skit
My Darling
My Music Box
Tonya Skit
Same Song & Dance
Stay Wide Awake
Medicine Ball
Paul Skit
We Made You
Old Times Sake
Mr Mathers Skit
Deja Vu
Beautiful
Crack A Bottle
Steve Berman Skit
Underground

No songs about Bagpipes, Stepdad rape or tired songs about his mom, Less accents and the first 7 tracks flow really well with the whole serial killer theme.

My custom disc:

1. Dr. West.
2. My darling (this was supposed to be track two, the clock/yawn ect.)
3. 3 A.M.
4. My Mom
5. Insane
6. Bagpipes
7. Hello
8. Tonya (skit)
9. Same Song And Dance
10. We made you
11. Medicine Ball
12. Paul (skit)
13. Stay Wide Awake
14. Must Be The Ganja
15. Mr. Mathers (skit)
16. Deja Vu
17. Careful What You Wish For
18. Beautiful
19. Steve Berman (skit)
20. Underground

Now THAT shyt plays like a movie...no leaks shoehorned in there for Itunes.

I kept We Made You because I finally understood wtf it was about and how it fit the theme. Women rightfully so have issues with Eminem's lyrics but one of the biggest reasons he had a lane to run in was because girls thought he was cute, hence "We Made You". After a song like Same Song And Dance, it kinda lightens the mood and reminds you that he's joking because that song is :merchant:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My custom disc:

Now THAT shyt plays like a movie...no leaks shoehorned in there for Itunes.

I kept We Made You because I finally understood wtf it was about and how it fit the theme. Women rightfully so have issues with Eminem's lyrics but one of the biggest reasons he had a lane to run in was because girls thought he was cute, hence "We Made You". After a song like Same Song And Dance, it kinda lightens the mood and reminds you that he's joking because that song is :merchant:
That's literally why My Darling is after the Skit on mine too, I was always sure that's where it was supposed to be, I had CWYWF as the opener because it explains a lot on where he's been with his problems and the news report etc for which he end up in rehab on the Skit. And I replaced 3.am with music box because I think it's a better song but has the same theme, he's talking about abducting people and killing them that leads to Tonya then SSAD

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if i had to listen to an eminem album, id probably pick this one :yeshrug: its the only eminem album with good production

the accents are :scusthov: but at the same time, i dont even know if it would have worked without them :heh: i cant tell

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
I actually listened to it for the first time last month because everyone here was saying it was his last good album. And honestly, it was. I mean, he did have the weird accents and the disturbing content, but here, he was in the zone creatively. He just came out of rehab, he wanted to let people know he was back with a vengeance, and he even had Dre working closely with him like in the old days. It sounded like he was back to his old self and he was having fun, and he was trying out different flows to give each song its own unique feel. Plus, Dre gave him some great beats throughout the album.

The only reason he moved away from not caring what anyone thought about his work was because it didn't go 5x platinum in one year and people didn't respond to it well. It even made him become :mjpls: towards the album. Now we have what we have because of the potential of making another Relapse and flopping. Even though as @SunZoo said, it was a real live rap album. :mjcry: In fact, this was way more deserving of being called The Marshall Mathers LP 2 than the actual one.

MMLP2 > RELAPSE

Legacy, Brainless, Bad Guy, Groundhogs day, Baby, Wicked Ways, Evil Twin, Survival, Rap God, all could've been on one disc alone and would shyt on that entire album. I honestly don't see what people's beef with MMLP2 was. It's better than relapse, encore and arguably recovery. THAT'S the album where he's rapping his ass off. Wicked ways and groundhogs day are lyrically better than the entire relapse album.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
If you're actually a fan of Eminem, it's a great album. If you were never into him like that and were just comparing his sound to what was poppin in 2010 then it's whatever. People complained about the weird vocal inflections (then turned around and dikk rode Danny Brown and Kendrick for the same shyt) and the fact that a horror-core theme isn't really palatable for mainstream audience...but Relapse is a real life rap album. Probably my favorite from him beause it easily has his best beat package and he's rhyming at a high level, though it's clearly not his artistic peak.

I been a em fan since mmlp1 and stopped after encore. Relapse probably would've been tolerable if it wasn't for the accent. But even then the production sucks. Who the hell wants to listen through a song like My Mom or Must Be the Ganja, or We Made You. 3AM isn't even really music... It's more like a theme score for a horror flick. When the hell am I ever going to play that? Hello, Beautiful and Deja Vu are the only tolerable songs.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
:scust:

That's actually his worst album to me, Encore is better than that album, by a wide margin too.

An album with songs like Just Lose It, Ass Like That, Big Weenie, and Puke is better than an album with cuts like Rap God, Groundhogs Day, Wicked Ways and Evil Twin???

Look man, if you liked relapse and hated mmlp2, cool... But let's not exaggerate for debates sake. shyt, Encore is even better than relapse cuz at least it has songs like Spend Some Time, We As Americans, Never Enough, Love You More, Encore, that are at least listenable.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I been a em fan since mmlp1 and stopped after encore. Relapse probably would've be tolerable if it wasn't for the accent. But even then the production sucks. Who the hell wants to listen through a song like My Mom or Must Be the Ganja, or We Made You. 3AM isn't even really music... It's more like a theme score for a horror flick. When the hell am I ever going to play that? Hello, Beautiful and Deja Vu are the only tolerable songs.

3 AM is like "Kill U" on steriods...shyt is SEAMLESS and the way he was bending the words with the vocal inflections make him sound deranged.

The thing I love about Em's music is that it's an active listen...he's never had songs you could just put on in the background, I gotta get up, really get into the rapping aspect. I don't do that with a lot of artists.

Must Be The Ganja is fun to rap along to, so is My Mom even though it's silly, it's also some real shyt especially if you have a fukked up relationship with your mother (which I do). Realizing how much you are like your parents, especially when they weren't ideal citizens is kind of a hard pill to swallow, pun intended.

But I get people thinking about "when would I play/listen to this" because again...it ain't background music. I listen to R&B for vibe and ambiance. When I listen to Em I'm studying what he's doing more so than sitting back like "entertain me".

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i think em makes horrible music 95% of the time but I really fukk with this album lol.

Dre floated on it. I like crazy af em, not this Skylar Grey introspective Em. Relapse is definitely em’s last decent album. Everything that came after it is complete trash.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
An album with songs like Just Lose It, Ass Like That, Big Weenie, and Puke is better than an album with cuts like Rap God, Groundhogs Day, Wicked Ways and Evil Twin???

Look man, if you liked relapse and hated mmlp2, cool... But let's not exaggerate for debates sake. shyt, Encore is even better than relapse cuz at least it has songs like Spend Some Time, We As Americans, Never Enough, Love You More, Encore, that are at least listenable.

Not exaggerating fam.

You basically just singled out all of the really bad songs on Encore.

Evil Deeds is one of my favorite Eminem songs.
Never Enough
Yellow Brick Road
Spend some Time
Mosh (underrated, would have went over better if they sped the track up)
Toy Soldiers
Crazy in love
Encore

I like all of those, more than the handfull of joints I actually like from MMLP2. Aside from those tracks you mentioned, the rest of the shyt on Encore is at least tolerable.

Not hating on your opinion though.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
technically and production wise, it is miles ahead of Recovery and MMLP2. the accents basically ruined it from being one of his best albums, the weird content is what also dragged this album down. just the songs where he's speaking on being a recovering drug addict are decent.