Sicario (Official Thread)

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I think a sequel is missing the point completely. Alejandro (Del Toros character) wasnt really the main character. Not really. He was more a thematic representation of how far off the rails the US had gotten in fighting the Cartels (they hired a HITMAN to assist in GIVING THE DRUG TRADE BACK TO THE COLOMBIANS). By the time the movie is finished, youre not supposed to like or think Alejandro is cool, but that he is a monster. I think a sequel completely undermines those themes.

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
As with a few others I loved the direction, score, acting but felt the plot was a little lacking. It was a whole lot of characters I knew little about/cared for running around trying to accomplish shyt the movie failed to sell the importance of. Maybe a story story like this is better left to TV where they have the time to flesh out all parties on both sides of the border.

With the lackluster plot I think a more shocking ending could've saved this movie. It's crazy how bloody the film is but then at the end when the most important murder(s) happen they shy away and pop them off camera? :why: If only they would've shown their heads getting splattered all over that table... followed by Benicio paying Emily a visit at her home, and in a violent confrontation ends up brutally killing her. Would've made for a much more memorable movie but as it stands this is by far my least favorite Vileneuve joint.

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
As with a few others I loved the direction, score, acting but felt the plot was a little lacking. It was a whole lot of characters I knew little about/cared for running around trying to accomplish shyt the movie failed to sell the importance of. Maybe a story story like this is better left to TV where they have the time to flesh out all parties on both sides of the border.

With the lackluster plot I think a more shocking ending could've saved this movie. It's crazy how bloody the film is but then at the end when the most important murder(s) happen they shy away and pop them off camera? :why: If only they would've shown their heads getting splattered all over that table... followed by Benicio paying Emily a visit at her home, and in a violent confrontation ends up brutally killing her. Would've made for a much more memorable movie but as it stands this is by far my least favorite Vileneuve joint.
The movie hit ME specifically because I've been in the same situation as the black guy in the film. My ex was EOD in the military and somewhat similar (not trying to imply any kind of off-the-wall shyt) situation in her transition to private sector work.

So yeah, all the gaps got filled in by my personal resonance with what was on the screen. That combined with my limited exposure to cartel shyt and... yeah, I was :wow: at a couple of points in the film. I know that most people aren't going to draw those lines though so I can't really recommend or hype the movie like I really want to.

Its still good, but I'll never be sure exactly how good it is because of that. I just feel impartial outside of the nitpicking here and there on a technical level.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I think a sequel is missing the point completely. Alejandro (Del Toros character) wasnt really the main character. Not really. He was more a thematic representation of how far off the rails the US had gotten in fighting the Cartels (they hired a HITMAN to assist in GIVING THE DRUG TRADE BACK TO THE COLOMBIANS). By the time the movie is finished, youre not supposed to like or think Alejandro is cool, but that he is a monster. I think a sequel completely undermines those themes.

Everybody I know who saw the movie loved Alejandro. It's rare you get a character like him who is straight up "about that action, boss" and doesn't get fukked over at the end. I kept fully expecting something to happen where the white chick saves the day and Alejandro has to pay for his vigilante style, but nope it never happened. Dude just wrecked shop, got shyt done, and walked off like a bad ass.

I loved this movie. If a sequel gives me more Alejandro getting shyt done then I'm all for it.