Sicario (Official Thread)

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Denis Vileunueve is one of the most talented newer directors I am aware of....I think everything he has made is worth watching, and with 'Sicario', he continues that trend, however, he also continues to make movies that are visually strong, well acted, and very well directed, with underwhelming stories, and scripts that are very lacking. 'Sicario' has so many strong elements to it, you wonder where the heart of the movie went. It makes some somewhat half hearted musings about the drug wars, and their origin, and effects on the people who live through them.....but ultimatley was a very predictable revenge thriller in the end, with a lot of over glamorized elements that hurt the movie, but don't detract from it's good qualities.

The geography and inter cartel politics is all off...and this is distracting and irritating to me, but for the average viewer, it will go unnoticed. The movies opening scene is dope as fukk, the score, the direction.....goes over the top with the discovery of 42 bodies, which to date has NEVER happened in the US, and likely never will. This is all part of a common thing in Hollywoods portrayal of the drug wars, taking a lot of headlines and kind of inserting them into a movie, whether they make complete sense or not....which I think takes away from the impact of the material.

I loved the Juarez scenes for the most part.....again, the directors ability to create tension is incredible. Juarez looked like Juarez, even if it wasn't shot there. I didn't like the very heavy handed and obvious, and also unlikely way they showed the horrors of Juarez in a quick ride through, conveniently witnessing the aftermath of a public hanging, and idling by missing posters of women....alluding to the femicides of Juarez. Felt a little cheap and easy for the subject matter. Made Juarez seem like a haunted house ride. Same with the look at Juarez in the aftermath. Looked like a video game. The shootout and rising action was dope as fukk. Very good work.

Del Toro's character....I am less impressed by the script and his role, then then acting, with his dead, haunted stare and delivery, Del Toro turns in a great performance. But, his character? A lawyer from Juarez.....turned assassin vigilante? Come on. There are enough fascinating stories in Mexico, to not invent outlandish bullshyt.....then the whole Colombian thing....felt so Hollywood and cartoonish...let me give a quick analogy, VERY few of the murders in Mexico are committed by with silenced pistols, by men with tactical gear....they are dirty, brutal executions that take place in the street, taco stands, movie theaters, playgrounds, resturaunts, by desperate men who don't live very long, and aren't paid very much......this plays too much like a cheap Vin Diesel type thriller then a serious look at drug trafficking. If you want to say thats what he wanted to make, I would say you are wrong, because he throws in all sorts of philosophy and statements about the violence. Reminds me of 'A Man Apart', with much better acting and direction, but very much the same. You cannot compare this to 'Traffic' in any way.

I could go on, and I may later, I just wanted to get some thoughts down.....very, very strong elements in a subpar movie, and cant' transcend a weak script and lacking story. It didn't have the heart and wrenching brutality it wanted to.

You are speaking as though you have implicit knowledge of a supposed CIA tactical mission and its assets involved.

You dont...hell..you dont even know the workings on a international drug cartel and its intersections with government intelligence organizations.

I dont either....so I'm not goin to dispel a movie if it delves in the gray areas of law enforcement at those levels.

DonFrancisco

Your Favorite Tio!
Daps
Reppin
Sabado Gigante
I didn't like the movie. I felt it was a cross between Syriana and Training Day but without the deep substance of both.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Just saw it last night - great movie. The chick was a horrible/irritating character and her partner was just a waste of dialogue.

The shots were well done and the pace was really good except one part that was useless to the plot imo.

Del Toro stole the show and deserves all the accolades. God I wish this was a true detective series. shyt would have been so :banderas:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Daniel Kaluuya

488228884-daniel-kaluuya-attends-sicario-new-york-gettyimages.jpg

looking like a darker

mason-betha-hypocrite.jpg

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Alejandro had that Eli/John Wick aim :banderas:.

Remember they said that there were 6 other men patrolling the house outside of the three he dropped in half a second. Dude must have off-screened most of them.

Between this and The Hunted, Benecio Del Toro got some dope assassin-type characters.

What if they threw in when Kate was pointing the gun at Alejandro, he looks at her and then at a sniper in a distant window which she sees aiming at her, after he warned her to stay off balconies for awhile? I legit thought someone was going to snipe her there. Would have really driven home the point about wolves and things aren't as lawful as she thought. That at the end of the day she was powerless and it's letting let her and the viewers know what values are really in play and how irrelevant her character is in the grand scheme. Also how much of an asset he is compared to her, because she believes everyone is equal, especially after her and Reggie have been shytted on through the whole movie. That even when she wants to do what she feels is "right" the very laws she wants to protect aren't really for her and favor people with Alejandro's approach. But also would have ran the risk of being too over-the-top, plus it as already driven home when Alejandro her own gun at her head if she wasn't going to sign.

Last edited:

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
Nah I don't think so breh. He used that big ass jug of water to Waterboard him
no he took the jug of water to make the people outside the room think he was going to waterboard him, also the camera focused on the drain to show no water ever went in it

it was rape

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
no he took the jug of water to make the people outside the room think he was going to waterboard him, also the camera focused on the drain to show no water ever went in it

it was rape
I think the majority of people didn't really catch this :mjlol:

the cia dudes watched the whole thing too :merchant: