Should Fast and Furious retire now that Paul is no longer with us?

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also when it comes to Vin let's not forget the studio came to him to do Tokyo drift and come back to the franchise not the other way around. He came to them to get the rights to Riddikk; that's what he really wanted to do and they made a deal: we will give you Riddikk, give you sole ownership rights of it and we will produce it for you and with you if you come back to the fast and furious series. He said okay but he wants to be a producer and have true ownership of it. They agreed and here we are now. Dude realized something that a lot of actors and entertainers in general don't: ownership is the true path to being wealthy and being wealthy is a lot better than being rich

exactly...that's why seeing people say they can replace vin or that he shouldnt be in it is laughable...he's one of the main reasons we've gotten 4-7...

also: i see some of yall laughing he did the pacifier...yall do know that was a disney movie that did close to $200 mil right?....that movie was a nice check and a way to make his status bigger in hollywood cause it was disney, and it worked....the rock did the same shyt with the tooth fairy and those other disney movies that people clown him about...now look at him, he's known as the franchise savior...go ask gi joe...hell ask f&f....

Last edited:

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
150 mil first weekend? They aint retiring shyt....fast 20 coming to a theater next you in 15 years :mjlol:. An honestly Paul Walker was a good dude but Vin Diesel was much more crucial. We saw what happened once he left and when he came back. Then again both of them are basically synonymous with the franchise. We'll see if they still have juice by the time Fast 9 comes around. 8 will still do numbers for sure :yeshrug:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Vin has made way more then 20 million per movie. Vin is the producer on Fast & Furious franchise. He gets back end. He gets at least 15-20 million upfront as his "acting" fee. And probably has made 60-75 million off the past two films each.

Vin probably has made over 250 million off Fast & Furious 4-7 when all totaled with his producing cut.

so for his producer cut what exactly is he doing?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
so for his producer cut what exactly is he doing?

I read he brokered the deal with Statham. Statham was originally going to be cast in the 6th one but couldn't get his schedule to match up so diesel made sure he was in the 7th. And he probably reached out to the rock too. Not to mention hes one of the lead creative forces on the series

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also when it comes to Vin let's not forget the studio came to him to do Tokyo drift and come back to the franchise not the other way around. He came to them to get the rights to Riddikk; that's what he really wanted to do and they made a deal: we will give you Riddikk, give you sole ownership rights of it and we will produce it for you and with you if you come back to the fast and furious series. He said okay but he wants to be a producer and have true ownership of it. They agreed and here we are now. Dude realized something that a lot of actors and entertainers in general don't: ownership is the true path to being wealthy and being wealthy is a lot better than being rich

so he solely owns riddikk? what about david twohy who came up with the idea?

i cant imagine vin having that much money though, he had to put his house up as collateral to get riddikk filmed

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I read he brokered the deal with Statham. Statham was originally going to be cast in the 6th one but couldn't get his schedule to match up so diesel made sure he was in the 7th. And he probably reached out to the rock too. Not to mention hes one of the lead creative forces on the series
im sure he loves paul but hes not giving up this check for real

biggest mistake he ever did was turning his back on fast/furious but hes smart enough to come back and its time he did another xxx

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
so he solely owns riddikk? what about david twohy who came up with the idea?

i cant imagine vin having that much money though, he had to put his house up as collateral to get riddikk filmed

Yeah I'm sure he and David own it together but the vin had more clout with the studio than he did because they knew in order for the furious franchise to continue they needed him back so he had the bargaining chip.

And of course not breh that's why universal produced it with him but he got the majority of the profits

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
that's not a good comparison: marvel or bond to f&f...the reason being in those franchises you selling a character (iron man, bond, cap, etc.) that can be played by different actors...this franchise revolves around dom...he's not a character you can just replace like those movies....dom is vin and as long as he's in it, the series will go on...the min he stops, so does the series....then the studio will repackage the f&f premise as something else....
Good post, fam. I thought of exactly what you said when I was making the comparisons. Marvel is selling characters that have been around forever, but for many RDJ is Ironman. He made that character arguably the most popular Marvel character (next to Spiderman) to casual moviegoers when it wasn't in the top 5 for most. He can be replaced, true, but that was my point. As integral as RDJ was to the success of the MCU, he can be replaced. Bond, the character, can't be replaced. The actor can, but the character can't. 007 is the heart of the movies and 008 or 009 wouldn't be able to replace him and keep the series where it is. They didn't try to recast Jason Bourne, they tried to replace him with another operative to a very lukewarm response. The F&F movies don't revolve around Dom they revolve around cars. The first movie exploded because there's a really strong car head(pause, I think:patrice:) community that it catered to. It's morphed into an action franchise but the cars have stayed integral to the series. They would never recast Dom, but they would write him off and keep the series going. I don't think you can do a reboot, but you can slowly start to organically phase characters off by introducing new, younger characters into the mix now and letting them grow into the role. Figure out a way to create some outcast little brother that Dom or Paul had a falling out with and they reconnect and he eventually becomes the lead. You have to maintain the strong bond audiences have with these characters and the whole crew love aspect, you can't just throw out a completely new crew and expect it to work. But people love these movies and want them to continue.

These movies are just like the MCU movies; actors are gonna be clamoring to get roles. Luda doesn't want to do it anymore? There are a ton of rappers that would be down to replace him. @MartyMcFly This directly correlates to my The Expendables statement in the other thread. The Rock joins the cast, then Statham and Tony Jaa. Fans are going to be clamoring to see their favorite action stars make cameos or become regular cast. F&F is a cultural phenomenon, not a story that has a beginning middle and end.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
im sure he loves paul but hes not giving up this check for real

biggest mistake he ever did was turning his back on fast/furious but hes smart enough to come back and its time he did another xxx

I don't think loving Paul and making these movies or not are synonymous. Acting is a job and this particular job is putting a lot of food on a lot of tables and putting kids through college. Vin just had a daughter and named her Paulina. These movies are going to make sure Paulina doesn't struggle a day in her life; if they stopped doing these movies that doesn't "honor" Paul's life at all. By all accounts he was a great guy and selfless to a tee so I can't see him being upset that they keep going because of the good it's doing for so many people.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good post, fam. I thought of exactly what you said when I was making the comparisons. Marvel is selling characters that have been around forever, but for many RDJ is Ironman. He made that character arguably the most popular Marvel character (next to Spiderman) to casual moviegoers when it wasn't in the top 5 for most. He can be replaced, true, but that was my point. As integral as RDJ was to the success of the MCU, he can be replaced. Bond, the character, can't be replaced. The actor can, but the character can't. 007 is the heart of the movies and 008 or 009 wouldn't be able to replace him and keep the series where it is. They didn't try to recast Jason Bourne, they tried to replace him with another operative to a very lukewarm response. The F&F movies don't revolve around Dom they revolve around cars. The first movie exploded because there's a really strong car head(pause, I think:patrice:) community that it catered to. It's morphed into an action franchise but the cars have stayed integral to the series. They would never recast Dom, but they would write him off and keep the series going. I don't think you can do a reboot, but you can slowly start to organically phase characters off by introducing new, younger characters into the mix now and letting them grow into the role. Figure out a way to create some outcast little brother that Dom or Paul had a falling out with and they reconnect and he eventually becomes the lead. You have to maintain the strong bond audiences have with these characters and the whole crew love aspect, you can't just throw out a completely new crew and expect it to work. But people love these movies and want them to continue.

These movies are just like the MCU movies; actors are gonna be clamoring to get roles. Luda doesn't want to do it anymore? There are a ton of rappers that would be down to replace him. @MartyMcFly This directly correlates to my The Expendables statement in the other thread. The Rock joins the cast, then Statham and Tony Jaa. Fans are going to be clamoring to see their favorite action stars make cameos or become regular cast. F&F is a cultural phenomenon, not a story that has a beginning middle and end.

I get what you saying, but the reason I don't think that'll work: Tokyo drift...they tried to do exactly what you saying with letting the cars be the lead and replacing the characters around those cars....we saw how that shyt turned out...maybe they could get better lead actors/actresses if they tried again, but at this point, I think vin/dom is as much a part of f&f as the cars are...the cars are the body and he's the heart/soul....that's why I don't see the series continuing on without him...once he's done, so is the series....then Hollywood will just take the premise of f&f (over the top action, diverse cast, different sides of the same coin with characters, etc.) and start a new franchise...that's how we got f&f in the first place, Hollywood took premises from other movies, mainly point break

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I get what you saying, but the reason I don't think that'll work: Tokyo drift...they tried to do exactly what you saying with letting the cars be the lead and replacing the characters around those cars....we saw how that shyt turned out...maybe they could get better lead actors/actresses if they tried again, but at this point, I think vin/dom is as much a part of f&f as the cars are...the cars are the body and he's the heart/soul....that's why I don't see the series continuing on without him...once he's done, so is the series....then Hollywood will just take the premise of f&f (over the top action, diverse cast, different sides of the same coin with characters, etc.) and start a new franchise...that's how we got f&f in the first place, Hollywood took premises from other movies, mainly point break
I feel you but Tokyo Drift tried to basically spinoff the franchise while people had already created a connection to the current actors. What I'm saying is they need to organically build a new roster instead of pushing new nikkas onto an audience that grew up on the OGs. Let Vin give the cosign to an up and comer and the series can still thrive. The issue is finding that new face. Everybody loved Dom. Will everyone love the new cat that will most likely be viewed as "new Dom"? Big shoes to fill

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel you but Tokyo Drift tried to basically spinoff the franchise while people had already created a connection to the current actors. What I'm saying is they need to organically build a new roster instead of pushing new nikkas onto an audience that grew up on the OGs. Let Vin give the cosign to an up and comer and the series can still thrive. The issue is finding that new face. Everybody loved Dom. Will everyone love the new cat that will most likely be viewed as "new Dom"? Big shoes to fill

true, that's gonna be hard as shyt to do....especially to do in the next 2 movies, since that's all most of the cast is signed for....that's why even though I enjoy the shyt outta the over the topness of the series, I don't think they should continue it after 9.....think they should make 8 kinda 'calm' and not as over the top as compared to 4-7, use it as a setup movie and then go all out for 9...i'm talking about have dom drive a muscle car from a space shuttle to earth, have him eject from it, drink a corona while parachuting down, to land in a car with michelle waiting on him kinda shyt lol....