Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

Daps
I love when characters break the fourth wall saying stuff like "this ain't where I die. I'm not supposed to die here"

:pachaha: that always cracks me up.

Daps
Man fukk Hulu. Watched the entire episode in Japanese. Didn't realize they had an English dub till the end. Should have been the default.

At least I have an excuse to rewatch now. :manny:

Yeah I think imma have to start doing the English dub. It's impossible for me to watch TV without being distracted these days and I keep missing lines cause I'm not always looking at the screen.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
This show is dope so far and looks like it's going to get even better :wow:

I love the way they tease the English cac :mjlol:

He was appalled when they asked him to take another bath :russ:

Lady Mariko (Anna Sawai) is so beautiful :whew:

Hiroyuki Sanada (Lord Toranaga) the GOAT! :salute:

The cinematography, set design, action sequences and costumes are gorgeous! :blessed:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
I watched the first episode on a low quality stream, so when they first revealed Tim Hardy post-haircut, he looked like Seth Rogan on my screen. I immediately howled because I started imagining him doing the Seth Rogan laugh in front of the samurais :mjlol:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Theo Hardy acts non-religious but God is clearly on his side because dude always escapes immanent death by the skin of his teeth.

I don't think he's THAT non-religious, its just that he's so anti-Catholic that he literally thinks Catholics worship a different (inferior) God than the English do.
Which is pretty ironic nowadays since nowadays English Anglicans and Catholics are pretty hard to tell apart.

Having said that, his journals apparently confirm that he's a pirate and a mass murderer of people in the Philippines. So, yeah, he's not exactly acting like a religious person would be expected to act.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
So after watching the first 2 episodes and seeing the previews for the later episode's, it does look like we're getting backdoored into a white savior plot.

My suspicion was first peeked with the storm scene. There's simply no reason the Japanese would allow a European pilot to navigate a Japanese ship in Japanese waters. The chill viewer isn't going to care, but I fully understand how that scene feeds into the belief that only Europeans knew how to navigate the seas. It's why you're not taught that European explorers had native, African, and Islamic navigators on their ships.

Why wouldn't the Japanese know how to predict that a storm was coming? Why would the Japanese need to be told how to handle steering in a storm? Why wouldn't the Japanese have their own pilot?

Small details like that are overlooked as plot devices but this is how you smuggle ideas of European superiority.
rodriguez1.png

Not sure how historically accurate this is, highly doubt it's accurate at all since they already invaded Korea, but either way it's a necessary plot device.

Last edited: