Shingeki no Kyojin: Attack on Titan

Daps
"Thank you for being a mass murderer" :dead:

The translation i got might have been funky but that was a terrible line. Official translation will most likely be "Thank you for your sacrifice" or something like it

I feel like no matter how you phrase or sugarcoat that line it's inexcusably stupid
Like the entire point of the past ~20 chapters was that Armin and everybody couldn't ever accept Eren's plan to save them because of how unforgivable the cost would be, and that they were resolved to do anything to stop him even if it meant they would be powerless to defend their homeland from the outside world afterwards. But now Armin and everyone is A-OK with Eren's plan, even thanking him for it, because... he only went 80% on the global genocide instead of the full 100%??? :heh::dwillhuh: Like that's the cut-off point where they all go from "Sorry man, global genocide is unforgivable even if you're doing it for us, we have to stop you even if we gotta kill you :ufdup:" to " Wow, thank you so much Ereh :mjcry: We don't deserve this kindness you built on 2.5 billion corpses instead of the full 3 billion, gonna miss you breh :mjcry:" ??? :dead:

This wasn't the worst ending I've ever read but it's definitely a bad one, and worst off it isn't one that feels or looks like it will be a "grower" over time; the more I think about it the more unsatisfying, unfulfilling, and rushed/incoherent it feels. :francis: It isn't so horrific that I'm gonna retroactively disregard and write off the entire great story leading up to it... but it'll definitely dampen my overall impressions of the series a bit. I always thought the insistence on ending on chapter #139 "bEcAuSe sYmBoLiSm" was a corny ass decision on Isayama's part and this proves it. I think this could have been massively salvaged if he had just stuck to a normal pace and took the rest of the year to explore and flesh out everything he wanted to at proper length and finish in the Fall or Winter, instead of cramming everything in 1-2 chapters just to make sure the story ended on an arbitrary number now. I don't need or want every unexplained mystery or questions answered in the stories I consume, I like some manner of open ended-ness and ambiguity in endings... but half of this feels egregiously underdeveloped and rushed, and the other half feels completely unfaithful if not contradictory to a lot of what was built up and established previously.

Oh, and almost all the women in this shyt got done fukking DIRTY by this ending.:mjlol::sadcam: I'm no twitter gender studies militant or anything... but cot dayum male Japanese manga writers got some toxic ass ideas on romance and the female perspective in romantic relationships, that's all I got the energy to say for now... :picard:

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
:mjcry:

It ended pretty much how I thought it would with Eren making himself the villain to humanize his friends. Chapter itself was just okay.

Why is Levi on a wheelchair though? I wouldn't think his legs are broken 3 years later :pachaha:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
The ending was decent, Mikasa is such a rider :wow:

Armin
doing all the dirty work, cutting Erin's head off clean and stepping up to the marleyans :troll:

Levi had the best ending tho, and It would be nice lf they can spin this off into something.
:martin:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Finally read it, is it as bad as everyone was saying? No, but it could’ve been better that whole exposition really brings the story down. We all knew this knew this was ending like Code Geass after Eren went rogue.

The main problem is that isayama really wrote himself into a corner with paths and Ymir. In code geass only a handful of people had info on the Lelouch’s, and was well executed from the beginning.

The theme for AoT was always about freedom, and then in the last quarter it changes to sacrifice.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I feel like no matter how you phrase or sugarcoat that line it's inexcusably stupid
Like the entire point of the past ~20 chapters was that Armin and everybody couldn't ever accept Eren's plan to save them because of how unforgivable the cost would be, and that they were resolved to do anything to stop him even if it meant they would be powerless to defend their homeland from the outside world afterwards. But now Armin and everyone is A-OK with Eren's plan, even thanking him for it, because... he only went 80% on the global genocide instead of the full 100%??? :heh::dwillhuh: Like that's the cut-off point where they all go from "Sorry man, global genocide is unforgivable even if you're doing it for us, we have to stop you even if we gotta kill you :ufdup:" to " Wow, thank you so much Ereh :mjcry: We don't deserve this kindness you built on 2.5 billion corpses instead of the full 3 billion, gonna miss you breh :mjcry:" ??? :dead:

This wasn't the worst ending I've ever read but it's definitely a bad one, and worst off it isn't one that feels or looks like it will be a "grower" over time; the more I think about it the more unsatisfying, unfulfilling, and rushed/incoherent it feels. :francis: It isn't so horrific that I'm gonna retroactively disregard and write off the entire great story leading up to it... but it'll definitely dampen my overall impressions of the series a bit. I always thought the insistence on ending on chapter #139 "bEcAuSe sYmBoLiSm" was a corny ass decision on Isayama's part and this proves it. I think this could have been massively salvaged if he had just stuck to a normal pace and took the rest of the year to explore and flesh out everything he wanted to at proper length and finish in the Fall or Winter, instead of cramming everything in 1-2 chapters just to make sure the story ended on an arbitrary number now. I don't need or want every unexplained mystery or questions answered in the stories I consume, I like some manner of open ended-ness and ambiguity in endings... but half of this feels egregiously underdeveloped and rushed, and the other half feels completely unfaithful if not contradictory to a lot of what was built up and established previously.

Oh, and almost all the women in this shyt got done fukking DIRTY by this ending.:mjlol::sadcam: I'm no twitter gender studies militant or anything... but cot dayum male Japanese manga writers got some toxic ass ideas on romance and the female perspective in romantic relationships, that's all I got the energy to say for now... :picard:

Aside from Mikasa who really got fukked over breh:patrice:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Aside from Mikasa who really got fukked over breh:patrice:

You serious breh? Ymir and Historia got done dirty as fukk :heh:

They are not character that I myself cared that much so them getting fukked over doesn't move the needle for me. But there's no question that Isayama was horrible to those characters with this ending, specially Ymir :mjcry:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
You serious breh? Ymir and Historia got done dirty as fukk :heh:

They are not character that I myself cared that much so them getting fukked over doesn't move the needle for me. But there's no question that Isayama was horrible to those characters with this ending, specially Ymir :mjcry:

Yeah, the women definitely got the HOH treatment. I don't see how that's even up for debate. :francis:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Glad I never took that stance. :mjgrin:

Ymir got played cheap though. :picard:

Be in love with your slave master, rapist and torturer for 2000 years brehs.

Let that love be the reason you ruin the life of an entire race brehs

Suffer for 2000 years until you manipulate events so one random chick puts her love aside and decapitates a dude and then kisses him :brehs

I mean....shyt :to: thank god she wasn't a main character :heh:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Like seriously :mindblown:

like there is no reason why this shyt should feel rushed considering how the story has been so far.

if he was gonna go this route.. then this really could have used another 12 chapters...

because shyt as it stands is very unsatisfying, unfulfilling, and incoherent.

I really get the feeling dude changed the ending when he was getting close to it.

Daps
Like seriously :mindblown:

like there is no reason why this shyt should feel rushed considering how the story has been so far.

if he was gonna go this route.. then this really could have used another 12 chapters...

because shyt as it stands is very unsatisfying, unfulfilling, and incoherent.

I really get the feeling dude changed the ending when he was getting close to it.

I think the author himself confirmed he changed his initial plan for the ending a long time ago. Originally it was supposed to be a super dark ending where the whole main cast died all the way back during the fight to plug up the hole in the wall before they found the basement or something along those lines from what I've heard. The weird thing is though it felt like there were some elements from whatever he had originally planned for the ending way back when he started in 2009 that were suddenly resurrected out of the blue and forced into this at the very last second. Stuff that seemed like he either forgot about a long time ago and/or the story just naturally deviated away from over time as it developed that no longer fit coherently into what it is now in 2021
Mainly Eren feelings about Mikasa that have barely if ever been touched on since like 2013 :pachaha:

A better translation and/or some elaboration in the anime could help in a lot of ways... but I don't think it's gonna ultimately fix the damage that's been done. :francis: Oh well, this was this dude's first ever major published work at the end of the day, there's cats who been writing famous stories since before he was born that still struggle with wrapping those stories up in the end themselves. It ain't even the worst ending to a popular manga of the past year or two; nothing gonna top TPN or Demon Slayer's wack ass endings for the forseeable future. :mjlol::unimpressed: