Shannon Sharpe says he only went to a HBCU cuz his grades were bad

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
His experience and truth but for ppl who do not see this as problematic being broadcasted in a public platform are being dense. Him being a former "student"-athlete makes his experience somewhat different where he felt required to attend a PWI for the infrastructure (financed from rich white alums and TV revenue from conference/school broadcasting rights, public exposure from playing on national TV) etc... at least express somewhat of a nuanced argument like I just did even though Twitter from my understanding has character upper limit but he did not therefore leaving himself open to criticism.

Secondly, HBCUs are and were feeder schools for a lot of industries such healthcare, finance, law (first Black Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall went Howard Law) and now tech in order to boost Black representation in those fields.

Then again education, informed opinions and just good cogent arguments are kryptonite to a lot of dudes especially in the social media age.

Daps
What's the issue??

That's his story :yeshrug:
Yeah, but it fuels the fire that black students don’t deserve to get into Ivy League schools, because they aren’t smart enough. He’s off code. Trump would never admit he didn’t do well in school, and the only reason he went to Wharton is because of his money. It’s the same with Jared Kushner, and all those trust find kids. They don’t get the best grades, but when the affirmative action talks happen, suddenly, it’s all about merit.

prime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The heights
I mean he isn’t lying Shannon been said this he had sec schools recruiting him but his grades was bad his bro went to South Carolina honestly if I had the grades I was going to Illinois state and a couple of HBCUS offered me as a a athlete you’re thinking about playing against the best competition to show your skills :yeshrug:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean he isn’t lying Shannon been said this he had sec schools recruiting him but his grades was bad his bro went to South Carolina honestly if I had the grades I was going to Illinois state and a couple of HBCUS offered me as a a athlete you’re thinking about playing against the best competition to show your skills :yeshrug:

Exactly

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang
Y'all get outraged over everything. Can tell y'all never been around athletes, been in the house on the computer your whole life. What athlete wouldn't want to go to a big name school? If Shannon would've went to a JUCO instead of a HBCU and said the same thing would y'all still be mad?

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Only thecoli would be mad about this lol. If anything this proves that hbcu's help many black people which is the entire point of them.
He talks about Savannah State every chance he gets. I mean even people that prop up hbcus don’t tak about Savannah State like that. You know how people are that went to the more known/prestigious hbcu schools. He definitely was saying they helped him out and look at him today. People are just mad at Deion and are doing the most with it, I get it though.

Last edited:

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
Man I know people that went to ga tech & u of sc as really good athletes and they didn’t even get degrees. Like actually getting burn on the field. Back in our hometown not doing much. I understand what Shannon is saying but he could’ve worded it differently

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
He talks about Savannah State every chance he gets. I mean even people that prop up hbcus don’t tak about Savannah State like that. You know how people are that went to the more known/prestigious hbcu schools. He definitely was saying they helped him out and look at him today. People are just mad at Deion and are doing the most with it, I get it though.
Exactly

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
He also compared leaving a HBCU to gettin out the hood :mjpls:

The projecting going on in this thread, and really throughout this entire discourse about Deion is crazy. He didn't say anything about "poor black neighborhoods" or "the hood". He was just saying that it's crazy to expect people to stay in the same place forever. The fact yall immediately connected that to black neighborhoods is :mjpls:

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
BnSVtUsCMAA435w.jpg:large

-1%20(9)-1616317697209.jpg
They gon ignore this post....

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
What was his point in saying that?

:snoop:

Some of us go outta our way on the internet to be individualistic and dysfunctional when it comes to black matters.
What you mean. It’s clearly his point that yes HBCU’s are a downgrade and if he had a shot to go to prime Alabama, you, your kids and him would all be attending Alabama

We really trying to pretend besides more black people? That HBCU’s aren’t a CLEAR downgrade in every thing else at a college?

Just be real with yourselves

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
What you mean. It’s clearly his point that yes HBCU’s are a downgrade and if he had a shot to go to prime Alabama, you, your kids and him would all be attending Alabama

We really trying to pretend besides more black people? That HBCU’s aren’t a CLEAR downgrade in every thing else at a college?

Just be real with yourselves
I've heard and read countless stories of financial and administrative mismanagement when it comes to hbcus.